Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I didn't know where to post this so have posted it both here and in the money and finance thread.

Basically I'm trying to open a Natwest student account, but Natwest won't take my UCAS letter because it's over 12 months old (I applied for deferred entry and took a gap year) so they said I had to email St Andrews and ask for a letter confirming my student status. Which I did.
    But today I get an email back from St Andrews saying new students cannot open a bank account before they arrive.

wtf?!?!

they go on to say that all this will be done in pre-sessional week and I can get more information here (which gives me a link to a page directed at international students explaining the process)

Do you think that's really true that I can't open a bank account before I get there, or have they got confused and think I'm an international student?

oh and I already have a current account with Lloyds, but I prefer the natwest student account.

Thanks for any replies
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    Hmm that's strange...it looks like the uni are getting confused and thinking you're an international student or something... I opened my student account before starting uni (with RBS)... perhaps you could try emailing them again, or maybe phoning them would be better as you can make sure they know exactly what you're meaning? They should easily be able to give you a letter confirming you're a student as of september... I had to get one a few months ago (ok I was studying there at the time, and just popped in to see them, they just printed it off and signed it there and then!)... try giving them a ring!

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    That can't be right? I've opened a student account using just my UCAS letter.

Anyways, I should point out that there isn't a Natwest branch in St Andrews. I'd assume the nearest is Dundee.

ReputationRep:
    Google Maps seems to suggest there is a Lloyds in St Andrews. From personal experience, I would strongly advise the following:

(i) Having a decent account with a bank that has a St Andrews branch

(ii) Set up as much as you can with any other accounts before you come here. I'm currently having problems getting a debit card and cheque book with one of my accounts, because it hasn't been 'active' enough for them to consider giving me these things, because I only have a cash card to withdraw money from ATMs with. This started because I was too young to get these things when I first opened the account. Anyway, it's a pain in the backside. I'm in a catch-22 situation of not being able to do anything with my money :rolleyes:

(iii) Try not to have too many accounts. I've had about 5 different things going on at one time, and it's a nightmare to manage, particularly when you can't do anything with a lot of them unless you travel out of town.

In terms of your original difficulty, I am going to be terribly helpful and suggest you phone the uni and talk to someone directly about the information you have received. It sounds as if they have done something silly to me.

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone give me an advice on which bank account(s) should I open?
    I'll be arriving at St Andrews in Sept but I havn't decided which bank I'm going to use...
    Can I open one there (I'm an International Student)?
    Or should I open it first in my home country?

Thanks loads!

ReputationRep:
    RBS changed my regular bank account into a student account without my actually telling them that I was going to be a student. I was rather impressed.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.