Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I didn't know where to post this so have posted it both here and in the St Andrews thread.

Basically I'm trying to open a Natwest student account, but Natwest won't take my UCAS letter because it's over 12 months old (I applied for deferred entry and took a gap year) so they said I had to email St Andrews and ask for a letter confirming my student status. Which I did.
    But today I get an email back from St Andrews saying new students cannot open a bank account before they arrive.

wtf?!?!

they go on to say that all this will be done in pre-sessional week and I can get more information here (which gives me a link to a page directed at international students explaining the process)

Do you think that's really true that I can't open a bank account before I get there, or have they got confused and think I'm an international student?

oh and this isn't my first bank account, I do already have a current account with lloyds.

Thanks for any replies
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by duracell)
    I didn't know where to post this so have posted it both here and in the St Andrews thread.

Basically I'm trying to open a Natwest student account, but Natwest won't take my UCAS letter because it's over 12 months old (I applied for deferred entry and took a gap year) so they said I had to email St Andrews and ask for a letter confirming my student status. Which I did.
    But today I get an email back from St Andrews saying new students cannot open a bank account before they arrive.

wtf?!?!

they go on to say that all this will be done in pre-sessional week and I can get more information here (which gives me a link to a page directed at international students explaining the process)

Do you think that's really true that I can't open a bank account before I get there, or have they got confused and think I'm an international student?

oh and this isn't my first bank account, I do already have a current account with lloyds.

Thanks for any replies
    xxx
    That sounds really weird.
    Posting in the StAs subforum would be better for this sort of stuff.

If it's true that banks won't accept your year-old UCAS letter, even when you explain that you're deferred entry and that's where the extra year comes from, then I guess you will have to wait until you've matriculated/whatever to open an account.

ReputationRep:
    Write to St Andrews again (or UCAS?), and ask for confirmation of your student status. Don't give your reasons why, or if you do, just say you lost your original. It's none of St Andrew's business what you use it for, in my opinion, and I'd be pretty annoyed if I got that response from them after e-mailing them the first time.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.