Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hi

i'm hopefully off to uni next year (grades permitting :o:) and am now starting to have a panic about affording uni

my parents can't afford to support me much due to mortgage etc but i don't come under the threshold for government support due to thier income i think

anyone have any idea's about jobs that i can do, i've handed my cv out to everywhere that i can get to, but have had no luck so far

or any other ideas about how i can afford uni?

i want to do mechanical engineering and have looked into sponsorship and have applied to a couple, but had anyone had luck with this?

sorry for all the questions

thanks

ReputationRep:
    Are you getting the mainenance loan? you could gert a part time job wile your studying.

ReputationRep:
    you'll be entitled to student loans. I'm going in september and have no money from parents - apart from for the first few weeks - and no job. I think you've got plenty of time to find one

ReputationRep:
    If you won't be able to find a job before september, when you go to university you'll find plenty of student jobs offered by the uni itself and all the local shops advertising there aswell.

ReputationRep:
    Just go to the Uni before everyone else moves in and look at notice boards because the jobs do go quickly

ReputationRep:
    You get a loan, so you'll be okay. And, you can get a job once you're at university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaager)
    Are you getting the mainenance loan? you could gert a part time job wile your studying.
    probabily, the amount depends on how much i can get from sponsorship/ save this year if i get a job

EDIT: thanks for the reassurance guys

ReputationRep:
    Agreed with everyone else on here

Get a natwest student account with a huge overdraft (a grand)
    Log on to student finance (probably the biggest pain in the ass ever) and see how much you're entitled to maintenance grant.
    Does your uni do bursarys?

And yeah, jobs are probably an impossibility until you are there.

THat said, im going to enquire about a dual contract at sainsburys, to see if i can get a job there, whilst keeping my current job at my local sainsburys when i come home!

ReputationRep:
    Loan & Job. Sorted.

Get a job when you move there - hand your CV to anywhere and everywhere!

ReputationRep:
    i have a Question...when do start paying the tution fee if there is a chance that you didnt apply for a student loan?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.