Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay, I'm doing the IB and have just finished my first year of it. I recently got the predicted grades I need to get into medicine, which is the course I've been looking at doing for the past year and a bit, and suddenly I'm beginning to feel like I don't want to do it. I find it really interesting but I'm not prepared to put in those hours, both at uni and in a job.

I want to go out and have more of a life, if you get me. I'd like to travel a bit, live life a bit more freely than just stay in England working in a hospital forever...

My two main problems are a) the fact that it's so close to the deadline and I've changed my mind so late and b) telling my parents... they've spent loads of money (hundreds of pounds) taking me to different unis to go to their medicine talks and sending me to different extra curricular medicine courses and stuff, PLUS I've just paid for the UKCAT (£75).

I'm so worried about it all.. :cry:

ReputationRep:
    Don't do it, if you're not happy about it, you'll hate the course and drop out, it's a hard slog unless you love it.
    Talk to your parents, surely they'd rather you be happy than have spent thier money well?

ReputationRep:
    Everyone's entitled to change their mind. What do you want to do instead? Don't worry :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roxasora)
    Okay, I'm doing the IB and have just finished my first year of it. I recently got the predicted grades I need to get into medicine, which is the course I've been looking at doing for the past year and a bit, and suddenly I'm beginning to feel like I don't want to do it. I find it really interesting but I'm not prepared to put in those hours, both at uni and in a job.

I want to go out and have more of a life, if you get me. I'd like to travel a bit, live life a bit more freely than just stay in England working in a hospital forever...

My two main problems are a) the fact that it's so close to the deadline and I've changed my mind so late and b) telling my parents... they've spent loads of money (hundreds of pounds) taking me to different unis to go to their medicine talks and sending me to different extra curricular medicine courses and stuff, PLUS I've just paid for the UKCAT (£75).

You could do some kind of medicine-related course e.g. Biochemistry which will probably not be a stressful at degree level or career wise - you could do loads of different jobs, it's not as narrow as medicine. Then your parents might not be as upset because it's kind of similar? But only do this if it appeals to you.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't feel you want to do it anymore then don't. Its as simple as that. I had a similar situation which resulted in lots of panicking at the last moment.

Even if you're parents are a bit miffed about the medicine thing it wont last long and its better than being stuck doing something you hate for 5 years or dropping out.

What do you fancy doing instead?

ReputationRep:
    I've been thinking about that. I've loved learning Spanish this year, and have been doing quite a bit of it outside school because I enjoy it a lot, and I really like chemistry. It would be cool to take a course in either of those subjects or related to either of them, but I'm kind of worried about getting a job after uni. I don't know what kind of jobs you could go into with a degree in those courses. I guess with medicine I would have been pretty much guaranteed a job after I'd finished the course, but as I said, I don't think I could spend so many hours doing it...

Anyway thanks for the replies. I've gotta compose myself a bit and then I'll try speaking to them..

ReputationRep:
    You've spend a year and a half wanting to do medicine, and you've suddenly changed your mind? Are you sure you REALLY don't want to do medicine anymore? Cos I think everyone has those doubts.

ReputationRep:
    Well the amount of time needed to put all the work in has always been something that I've thought about, and I've tried to accept it but for the past few days I've felt like I can't do it. I know what you mean, it could just be an impulse feeling. I will be thinking about it a lot. But I just need to start sorting things out just in case I don't want to do it.

ReputationRep:
    Well the amount of time needed to put all the work in has always been something that I've thought about, and I've tried to accept it but for the past few days I've felt like I can't do it. I know what you mean, it could just be an impulse feeling. I will be thinking about it a lot. But I just need to start sorting things out just in case I don't want to do it.
    Yeah well I just wouldn't like suddenly change all your plans irreversibly or anything, just in case it is just an impulse feeling. :p:

I had pretty much the same doubts, about the time committment etc required and was for a time positive I didn't want to do medicine (after previously wanting to do it), but in October I'll be applying for medicine. My mind changed back lol.

ReputationRep:

Have you talked to many young doctors what their lifestyle is like and what their career options are like?

But surely there are options for medical graduates. e.g. development agencies.
    Or even look at Alice Roberts (Time Team, Coast. etc.)

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I just spoke to my parents about this and because I'm really interested in chemistry/biology I might try applying for something like biochemistry, and if I graduate and end up wanting to do medicine after all, I have the option of applying for it as a post-grad course. But yeah it's possible that I could veer off from working in a hospital and look at something else. I'm going to have to think about it more. Thanks for the advice everyone!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.