Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'll be moving to London in September to go to uni (postgrad) and I was wondering what the chances are of finding a part time job. A lot of my friends are telling me there's 'nothing going' and I won't get there until September to find out for myself!

I have a degree in French and Spanish and have had summer jobs in hotels (cleaning and front desk). After graduating, I worked in a multilingual call centre for 7 months then temped as a receptionist for 5 months or so. I then did a TEFL course and have been teaching English since then. Am I likely to find something in one of these areas?

ReputationRep:
    I think your best bet would be to have a look once you get there and get anything that's going. They'll probably be waitressing/coffee shop type jobs cropping up, but all jobs seem to be disappearing very quickly and being incredibly popular at the moment so it would be difficult to find something before you're there I would guess.

ReputationRep:
    You could try contacting English schools to do a day or two a week of TEFL.

You can register with a temping agency. Sometimes they offer days instead of week reception work. But this obviously isn't permenant.

You might be able to get part time call centre work, specially with your language skills. Ring around. Also have a look on gumtree.

I've been looking for a more permenant job in London for years and never found one. I think luck and timing i really important when trying to get a job. When looking for bar work etc, places usually take Europeans with more experience, rather than someone with less experience but more fluent in English.

ReputationRep:
    i would advise you to start looking now ....so that when september comes you won't need to start looking...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GipsyRose)
    I'll be moving to London in September to go to uni (postgrad) and I was wondering what the chances are of finding a part time job. A lot of my friends are telling me there's 'nothing going' and I won't get there until September to find out for myself!

I have a degree in French and Spanish and have had summer jobs in hotels (cleaning and front desk). After graduating, I worked in a multilingual call centre for 7 months then temped as a receptionist for 5 months or so. I then did a TEFL course and have been teaching English since then. Am I likely to find something in one of these areas?
    You can ALWAYS teach English, although it may have to be informally done (i.e. you could post ads in uni language centres etc).

As for part time jobs in general, the pickings are rather slim. I work as a sales asisstant and it took me 5 months to find my job. No one wants part-timers, if they're hiring it's for full time work By all means apply, apply EVERYWHERE. Just don't hold your breath.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.