Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hiya! I'm making chocolate brownies for a friend's birthday do. (I've never actually made them before but how hard can it be?) Does the chocolate have to be proper cooking chocolate? The recipe I'm using just says 'dark chocolate'...are there any particular good brands I should use? Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Use Green and Blacks chocolate and use the darkest that you can find. I've forgotten what the value is but it is quite high.

ReputationRep:
    hmm i find if you use too good quality chocolate, that the brownies dont turn out as well. just use normal bournville chocolate.

ReputationRep:
    Greens and Black cooking chocolate, it comes in silver bars, 150g :coma:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Dark chocolate is usually 70% cocoa, which is also known as cooking chocolate.

ReputationRep:
    I always use Bourneville and they come out fine. If you're really splashing out though, go for Green and Blacks' cooking chocolate

ReputationRep:
    You might get away with not using dark chocolate. Just good quality. Green & Blacks do Milk Chocolate now. SO nice.

ReputationRep:
    Greens & Blacks fer sho.

ReputationRep:
    NEVER use cooking chocolate - taste is no better than normal chocolate (slightly worse, IMO), and price is higher.

If price is no object, then yes go for Green and Blacks, but I always use supermarket own-brand / value chocolate in cooking (and for eating!) and have never had any complaints, but have had many compliments!

ReputationRep:
    I always just use the cheapest I can find... and my brownies are amazing..

ReputationRep:
    Cool, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    use any choc, I usually use a really drak choc like 85% and then some really nice milk like galxey choc, lots of nuts too! there are some really good recipies online, I usually go for an american one because they seem to be the best! dont try to make a really big one, make lots of smaller trays. Tinfoil trays are good to because you can cut the tray away.

ReputationRep:
    I always just use Sainsburys own dark chocolate because my brownie recipe requires a ridiculous amount. Have to say they always taste great so I don't think it makes too much difference.

ReputationRep:
    I always just use ASDA's cooking chocolate and it's fine.

ReputationRep:
    From what I can remember from watching Eating with the Enemy (daytime tv rocks ) choc that contains 70% and above cocoa solids is the shizzle...

ReputationRep:
    Damn, I want brownies now... Think it'll be a trip to Tesco later for ingredients!

ReputationRep:
    I would say don't use choc that's too good or things can go a bit interesting. That said, I'd also advise you to use a recipe where the chocolate comes from cocoa not chocolate - much less potential for things to go wrong!!

ReputationRep:
    mmmm, this thread is making me hungry!

I use cheap dark chocolate because the recipe I like uses a lot of the stuff. James Martins recipe uses 340g of dark chocolate...if I used something like green and blacks they'd be expensive brownies!

ReputationRep:
    I like putting white chocolate chunks in the mixture..... mmmmmmm

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 29, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.