Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Please keep anon or delete.

I am absolutely rubbish at giving advice to people. I never know the 'right' thing to say. My friend has just sent me a text, saying she's come out to her parents and sister and they've basically told her they don't want anything to do with her and she's not allowed anything to do with her sisters unborn child.

What the hell do I reply with?! :o: I'd be greatful for any advice...Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    offer to go out for lunch or something in case she wants to talk, even if you just sit there and listen she'll appreciate it. suggest that they might just need time to come around, probably a shock etc. even if they don't she always has her friends and the rest of her family and you'll always be there for her.
    usual stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Just be truthful and say to her that you dont know what to say, maybe because you haven't been in her position but let her know that you'll be there for her so that she can talk to you. Quite often just having someone to hear about your problems helps

ReputationRep:
    Tell her it's her problem.

Wait..maybe I'm crap at giving advice too!

ReputationRep:
    She probably just wanted to tell somebody she could trust. Ask her if she wants to talk about it, always ask if they want to talk about it.

ReputationRep:
    Reply with the following:

lol

This forum is what?

Spoiler:
    Show

Well, before you meet up with her tell her you've never been good at giving advice but you'd love to meet up and listen? :unsure:

Spoiler:
    Show
    I'm crap at giving advice

Thanks people

ReputationRep:
    Offer her a way out of the house. She needs to get away from there for a while, let her head calm down and hopefully her family too.

ReputationRep:
    She doesn't want you to solve her problems and make everything right, she just wants support. Tell her you're there for her and maybe try and cheer her up, that's all she wants

ReputationRep:
    If you are that out of your depth then tell her that you dont know what to say, but however suggest that you can support her and give it a go to help and listen if she wants it, so suggest that you meet up and see how it goes, let her say as little or as much as she likes and try and comment or help if you feel you can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sh4w)
    Tell her it's her problem.

Wait..maybe I'm crap at giving advice too!
    lol

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.