Turn on thread page Beta

I don't want to quit, damn it! watch

I'm sick of the NHS offering me help to quit smoking... they don't seem to understand that there are people who actually don't want to give it up.

Anyone feel the same?

EDIT: I am, by the way, taking about the adverts on TV.

ReputationRep:
    yeah but i think the majority of people want to give up, which is why they have so many of the adverts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tootles)
    I'm sick of the NHS offering me help to quit smoking... they don't seem to understand that there are people who actually don't want to give it up.

Anyone feel the same?

It's about morals and the fact that smoking is a demerit good. The adverts are aimed at the mass audience, not just the individual.

ReputationRep:

Anyone feel the same?

:yes:

Why are the NHS so hell bent on making us live longer anyway? Surely it's cheaper if some of us die. Lord knows it could help population levels!

(Original post by mikeyd85)

Why are the NHS so hell bent on making us live longer anyway? Surely it's cheaper if some of us die. Lord knows it could help population levels!
    Heh heh. I smoke because I like it. With how we're being treated now, you'd think we were terrorists.

ReputationRep:
    Heh heh. I smoke because I like it. With how we're being treated now, you'd think we were terrorists.
    :rolleyes:

If the NHS just left you to die, I'm sure you would have been complaining each and every single day about there not being enough assistance.

ps. I know this is a troll thread.

ReputationRep:

But then they'd get less tax :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bex285)
    But then they'd get less tax :yes:
    :beard:

You raise an interesting point... Hmmmm... But then why do they want us to stop smoking?

ReputationRep:
    Someone will only quit smoking if they actually want to do it. No amount of "NHS Giving up" adverts will make them stop smoking unless they have decided to for themselves.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I dont want to give up yet either. I love it too much.

ReputationRep:

You raise an interesting point... Hmmmm... But then why do they want us to stop smoking?
    You raise an interesting point also.....do the government get more from cigarette taxes than other tax though? :confused:

ReputationRep:

Because of all the medical conditions you get before you die, which are almost invariably caused by smoking. This becomes expensive, lengthens waiting lists, wastes money and time, and deprives more deserving people of treatment.

It's getting to the point where if you are a habitual smoker and not attempting to give up, extensive and expensive treatment (especially elective surgery) is going to be refused.

I smoke - but not habitually, and I thoroughly agree with the smoking ban. Plus when you've helped treat patients who now speak through synthesisers because they've had laryngeal cancer, it sort of strikes home a bit.

ReputationRep:

For every one that stops, ten start. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spacecam)
    Because of all the medical conditions you get before you die, which are almost invariably caused by smoking. This becomes expensive, lengthens waiting lists, wastes money and time, and deprives more deserving people of treatment.

It's getting to the point where if you are a habitual smoker and not attempting to give up, extensive and expensive treatment (especially elective surgery) is going to be refused.

I smoke - but not habitually, and I thoroughly agree with the smoking ban. Plus when you've helped treat patients who now speak through synthesisers because they've had laryngeal cancer, it sort of strikes home a bit.
    Thing is though, it's the habitual smokers who generate the most money for the NHS. Yes, we cause waiting lists etc... but we also fund the god-damn equipment they use to fix us.

(Original post by Snookercraze)

If the NHS just left you to die, I'm sure you would have been complaining each and every single day about there not being enough assistance.

ps. I know this is a troll thread.
    Troll, hell. In the past twenty four hours, I must have seen these adverts about two hundred times. They're actually infuriating to me.

Anyone feel the same?

I agree entirely with you, despite being a non-smoker. The Government has no right to interfere with my lifestyle or yours. Can't they spend taxpayers' money on something better than a ****** advert with penguins and stuff on it?

ReputationRep:
    Troll, hell. In the past twenty four hours, I must have seen these adverts about two hundred times. They're actually infuriating to me.
    Ultimately, you know it's because they're right. :sad:

ReputationRep:

'cause when you eventually need some form of treatment, the NHS will be footing the bill.

ReputationRep:
    I'm all for freedom of smoking (and I'm with the law against smoking in public places), enjoy the odd rare cigarette myself, and also find the ad's pointless.

But don't come crying to the NHS for costly treatment when you eventually get problems because of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reems23)
    'cause when you eventually need some form of treatment, the NHS will be footing the bill.
    Which I fund as a tax payer and as a smoker. I have every right to use the NHS.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.