Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I don't want to quit, damn it! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Which I fund as a tax payer and as a smoker. I have every right to use the NHS.
    Preventative medicine. It's the future.

ReputationRep:
    Thing is though, it's the habitual smokers who generate the most money for the NHS. Yes, we cause waiting lists etc... but we also fund the god-damn equipment they use to fix us.
    Do you pay more National Insurance than anyone else? NO. viz drain on resources. If you go Private then you are paying for your own treatment and equipment etc

Habitual smokers generate money for the government. Yes you do cause waiting lists and it is really to Doctors' and Nurses' despair when someone is admitted because of smoking related diseases.

Thank god for prescription charges - that way you really do make a contribution to the cost of the beta-blockers, steroids, oxygen cylinders etc that some chronic smokers will need toward the end of the reduced life expectancy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tootles)
    I'm sick of the NHS offering me help to quit smoking... they don't seem to understand that there are people who actually don't want to give it up.

Anyone feel the same?

EDIT: I am, by the way, taking about the adverts on TV.
    It's Ok, die of lung cancer. Then you can blame the NHS :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    As long as you don't ***** about it later, nobody minds.

ReputationRep:
    Right, I'm at work guys, I can't keep up with this one any more!

ReputationRep:
    I'm sick of the NHS offering me help to quit smoking... they don't seem to understand that there are people who actually don't want to give it up.

Anyone feel the same?

I understand what you mean I like a smoke, one in the morning with a coffee.Then i thought that it was crazy to put that white stick in my mouth and destroy my lungs.

ReputationRep:
    I don't care if people smoke, as long as they pay for any health treatment they get later in life, not using the state services.
    I hope by the time you get cancer and need chemo you need to pay for it privately, I don't want my taxes funding your bad choices in life.
    And tobacco tax isn't nearly high enough to pay for the external costs, before anyone says so

ReputationRep:
    Smoke if you want but do it in your own home, I really hate people who smoke in public. Second hand smoke being blown in my face probably annoys me more than anything else.

Ultimately, you know it's because they're right.
    Of course I know that it's not healthy, but loads of the diseases that are supposedy caused by smoking probably aren't. Frankly, though, I don't smoke all that much, and I don't really intend to smoke for the rest of my life. I just want to be allowed to decidewhen for myself.

ReputationRep:
    I found my own reasons to want to quit. Only been going just over 48 hours but I'm finding it Ok. I had a hospital health scare on saturday morning, and although it wasnt directly related to the smoking, it pushed me in the right direction. I'm gonna quit smoking and get my best friend something nice for her birthday. She hated me smoking, so to think that her gift was bought not just with money, but willpower and determination to quit smoking (if you like) then she might like it a bit more.
    She came to see me in hospital on saturday the morning she flew to Hong Kong for 4 weeks, if she can do that I can quit smoking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reems23)
    'cause when you eventually need some form of treatment, the NHS will be footing the bill.

This

ReputationRep:
    Oh God the worst one is the advert with kid who says "I'm not scared of the dark. I'm not scared of clowns. I'm not scared of becky taylor.... I'm scared of my mum smoking."
    I'm not even a smoker but that annoys the hell out of me.

ReputationRep:
    I suggest you sell your telly, and your TV licence, and spend the money on ****. That way you'll die quicker, and the rest of us will be better off.

ReputationRep:
    I hate smoking and being around those who smoke, the smell alone puts me off....but..... it is not thier right to stop people if said people do not want to, it is banned from public places and pubs etc now so its no so much of a problem passivly.

Tax the fat damn it! Food is tax exempt and those tubby *******s are a drain on the NHS, at least smokers pay extra tax on thier ciggies!

(Original post by Spacecam)
    Do you pay more National Insurance than anyone else? NO. viz drain on resources. If you go Private then you are paying for your own treatment and equipment etc

Habitual smokers generate money for the government. Yes you do cause waiting lists and it is really to Doctors' and Nurses' despair when someone is admitted because of smoking related diseases.

Thank god for prescription charges - that way you really do make a contribution to the cost of the beta-blockers, steroids, oxygen cylinders etc that some chronic smokers will need toward the end of the reduced life expectancy.
    The popuation of Britain is about 60,000,000, and the popuation of smokers is about 22%, that's 13,200,000 smokers. If each of those smokes 80 cigarettes a week (for the sake of caculation), that's about £20 a week each person is spending. Of that, about £15 is tax. Per year, that's about £780 tax. Mutiply that by the number of smokers, and you get £10,296,000,000. That's the amount of money that smokers are putting into the government each year. Ten billion pounds. That't ten billion pounds more than non-smokers are putting in, so why can't that be given directly to the NHS for smoking-reated diseases; it should be ample money for it.

ReputationRep:
    The popuation of Britain is about 60,000,000, and the popuation of smokers is about 22%, that's 13,200,000 smokers. If each of those smokes 80 cigarettes a week (for the sake of caculation), that's about £20 a week each person is spending. Of that, about £15 is tax. Per year, that's about £780 tax. Mutiply that by the number of smokers, and you get £10,296,000,000. That's the amount of money that smokers are putting into the government each year. Ten billion pounds. That't ten billion pounds more than non-smokers are putting in, so why can't that be given directly to the NHS for smoking-reated diseases; it should be ample money for it.
    I believe the amount spent on smoking related diseases would blow that figure out of the water.

Also, if we got rid of smoking and replaced it with newly-legalised less harmful drugs like cocaine, etc, you'd earn that revenue whilst lowering the NHS costs and getting rid of cocaine related crime. Not to mention the reduction of pollution and the increase in respect for civil liberties.

Your defence of smoking could be applied to hard drugs. If we legalised, say, heroin, it would make billions and billions in profit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powerlifter)
    I hate smoking and being around those who smoke, the smell alone puts me off....but..... it is not thier right to stop people if said people do not want to, it is banned from public places and pubs etc now so its no so much of a problem passivly.

Tax the fat damn it! Food is tax exempt and those tubby *******s are a drain on the NHS, at least smokers pay extra tax on thier ciggies!
    I vote for this guy.

ReputationRep:
    wow....this thread is literally BEYOND the valley of total stupidity....some of the responses on here are hilarious "hells yeah I wana die...besides isn't that cheaper for the NHS"...jebus...what idiots lol. :toofunny:

ReputationRep:
    The NHS is funded from general taxation, so if every smoker gave up the treasury NOT THE NHS, would be £5 billion down.

Sure that £5 billion would have to made up from other taxes or from spending cuts but the NHS budget is gaurenteed until 2011, so the NHS would NOT be "stuffed".

That said if people want to smoke I don't care, it's their choice afterall, the funding thing is a bit of a rubbish excuse though.

ReputationRep:

Anyone feel the same?

lol :ditto:
    I was actually telling my friend this yesterday!!!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.