Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I don't want to quit, damn it! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Smoke loads and get those cool voice boxes :yes:

I don't smoke. I hate it to be honest. However, if you want to, I'm not going to tell you that you shouldn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick_000)
    Smoke loads and get those cool voice boxes
    They're terrifying :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spacecam)
    They're terrifying :o:
    They wouldn't be terrifying if the NHS could make them sound like, say MR T from the A Team or Pikachu from Pokemon :pika:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick_000)
    They wouldn't be terrifying if the NHS could make them sound like, say MR T from the A Team or Pikachu from Pokemon
    I suppose - but I don't share the same affinity for Pokemon as most people in the Backroom do - I'll Poke a man, sure!

ReputationRep:
    OK i wont be at your funeral in 2025.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say i feel bombarded by these adverts. But your right in saying that a lot of smokers don't want to quit, despite the risks to their health.

I don't want to quit, but if I did i could do it by myself quite easily.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a smoker, and am hugely sensitive to cigarette smoke but I do defend the right of people to smoke.

I do think there might be a point when it comes to trying to stop children from smoking. 15 year olds smoking regularly disturbs me, but not as much as drinking regularly.

At the end of the day, I have yet to find evidence that smokers cause harm to others (now that passive smoking is significantly reduced) and they put up with enough negative reactions in social situations. Let them be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snookercraze)
    It's about morals and the fact that smoking is a demerit good. The adverts are aimed at the mass audience, not just the individual.
    exactly demerit good,
    Who pays for pain-killers for our expensive death from lung cancer - ?
    taxpaying cigarette smokers
    taxed for buying cigarettes

ReputationRep:
    Idc if people smoke or not, their choice. As long as they don't do it into my face, i'm good.

And, if the NHS want a convincing advert to stop people smoking, just put a clip of Lisa and Karly from Big Brother picking out old butts from the tray. It'd convince me.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.