Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Stranger in Moscow)
    I think that legs and down there (unless it's disgustingly bushy leg and down there hair...) could actually be left alone. I knew the most beautiful girl ever, and she had never shaved her legs. She had blonde hair on her head, and so her leg hairs were really fine and blonde ("girl" body hair) and she got loads of attention even though she was happy to show the legs off.

Armpit hair isn't very nice though.
    Yeah but not all women are blonde :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sundous)
    Yeah but not all women are blonde :p:
    Yeah but still a lot of women have body hair that starts out blonde...you could always dye the body hair to a skin colour...That would have to be done painlessly once a month or so rather than daily, or painfully monthly.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb)
    When I mentioned that the introduction of more sophisticated razors meant hair removal was brought to the masses and meant more pressure was placed upon women to remove their hair, I was referring to the West.
    Islam has always deemed female body hair 'unclean'. This does not make it right. You are wrong in stating that female body hair removal has been a consistent practice throughout time; this simply isn't the case. Women did not remove body hair in the Victorian era for example.
    I never said it was consistent throughout history nor did anyone narrow this debate down to the West.

You are right in saying that women did not remove body hair in the Victorian era. I am not surprised, given that this was the era of prudishness and women were generally very well covered. Who'd want to see women with hairy legs and armpits anyway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    I never said it was consistent throughout history nor did anyone narrow this debate down to the West.

You are right in saying that women did not remove body hair in the Victorian era. I am not surprised, given that this was the era of prudishness and women were generally very well covered. Who'd want to see women with hairy legs and armpits anyway?
    This is my point. This is a socially engineered, negative attititude towards a natural feature of womens' bodies. It places unnecessary pressure on women to 'purge' themselves of body hair. This was not an issue in previous eras.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    This is my point. This is a socially engineered, negative attititude towards a natural feature of womens' bodies. It places unnecessary pressure on women to 'purge' themselves of body hair. This was not an issue in previous eras.
    No, you have totally missed the point. It has been done for millenniums. The Romans did it (and I might also add that Roman males removed their beards), Egyptians as well ... and I think in fact most sophisticated civilisations practised it. When we didn't our women were almost covered head to toe and sex was a huge taboo or we were unsophisticated barbarians. And this was before Gillette came around. They just look far better without leg or armpit hair. That Amanda Palmer girl that somebody mentioned before is, I just discovered, one of the most revolting women I've had the misfortune of Googling.

In the same sense that girls look negatively upon furry backs and foot long bears, guys look negatively upon girls with bushy armpits and hairy, man-like legs. I have no problem keeping myself beard free. I do not whine about it. Men have been doing it since Roman times. Such practices are necessary if you want to enjoy a sex life with other non revolting people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sundous)
    Well yeah, you can choose to leave that too...but i'm just being realistic: in today's society leaving the hair in those places is considered "insightful"

and I agree with that. Hairy pits aren't a pretty sight...armhair for example however isn't of the coarse nature that armpithair or pubic hair are
    Do you mean insightful or unsightly?

Personally, armpit hair is rank and I get rid of it, leg hair is also removed. 'Down there' is trimmed thoroughly but not removed as I'm allergic to removal creams etc and shaving both itches and causes ingrown hairs.

ReputationRep:
    girls legs, especially in the summer, just wouldn't look hot if they had hair on them..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    No, you have totally missed the point. It has been done for millenniums. The Romans did it (and I might also add that Roman males removed their beards), Egyptians as well ... and I think in fact most sophisticated civilisations practised it. When we didn't our women were almost covered head to toe and sex was a huge taboo or we were unsophisticated barbarians. And this was before Gillette came around. They just look far better without leg or armpit hair. That Amanda Palmer girl that somebody mentioned before is, I just discovered, one of the most revolting women I've had the misfortune of Googling.

In the same sense that girls look negatively upon furry backs and foot long bears, guys look negatively upon girls with bushy armpits and hairy, man-like legs. I have no problem keeping myself beard free. I do not whine about it. Men have been doing it since Roman times. Such practices are necessary if you want to enjoy a sex life with other non revolting people.
    But body hair isn't 'revolting' - it is simply a human characteristic. You only think it is revolting because you have been subject to social engineering. Do you think female body hair prevented people from having a 'sex life' in Victorian times? No, because there was no expectation that women should remove their body hair.

You refer to a period when 'our women were almost covered head to toe'. When was this? :curious:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    But body hair isn't 'revolting' - it is simply a human characteristic. You only think it is revolting because you have been subject to social engineering. Do you think female body hair prevented people from having a 'sex life' in Victorian times? No, because there was no expectation that women should remove their body hair.
    It is revolting to the vast majority of people if it is in the wrong places. No girl has said anything negative about my chest or leg hair but they are very grateful I get rid of the hair on my shoulders, back and triceps. Likewise, I'm not too bothered about arm hair since, in my experience with girls, 99% of the time it is barely noticeable and I've never known a girl to shave this, nor do I mind a bit of pubes, but leg and armpit hair makes me gag, as does excessive pubes.

You refer to a period when 'our women were almost covered head to toe'. When was this? :curious:
    The Victorian era. Looking at the tapestry etc you can see the women were much more covered than they are today or were in previous cultures in which women removed body hair. I've seen a lot of traditional belly dancing shows during my travels and despite being from pruder times the women shown a lot of flesh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Referee)
    Do you mean insightful or unsightly?

Personally, armpit hair is rank and I get rid of it, leg hair is also removed. 'Down there' is trimmed thoroughly but not removed as I'm allergic to removal creams etc and shaving both itches and causes ingrown hairs.
    Yeah I meant unsightly, dunno why i wrote unsightful

ReputationRep:
    everyone has hair though, men and women. Why isn't it ok for women to just have less hair. Why do they have to have none thats what I don't get.
    I always get rid of it but it annoys me that I have to. I don't like having hair but why does our society make everyone feel that way. It just doesn't seem fair.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Jaztan)
    everyone has hair though, men and women. Why isn't it ok for women to just have less hair. Why do they have to have none thats what I don't get.
    I always get rid of it but it annoys me that I have to. I don't like having hair but why does our society make everyone feel that way. It just doesn't seem fair.
    If you don't like getting rid of your body hair then don't get rid of your body hair. No one is making you do anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    If you don't like getting rid of your body hair then don't get rid of your body hair. No one is making you do anything.
    Yeh but they are. They aren't holding a gun to my head, but we've all been conditioned to think its horrible, me included. I wouldn't feel comfortable not getting rid of it.
    It annoys me most when men complain and say its disgusting. How would they feel if they had to wax? It hurts.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Well if you wouldn't feel comfortable not getting rid of it then that's your own doing. No one is making you do anything that you don't want to do, stop whining.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Well if you wouldn't feel comfortable not getting rid of it then that's your own doing. No one is making you do anything that you don't want to do, stop whining.
    You are male so you wouldn't understand. Its not my own doing, it's society.
    Why do men feel like armpit hair is ok? Its gross. Trim it or something.

ReputationRep:
    I had a math teacher and she never shaved her legs.. all nice and hairy =D lmao XD but she was gay maybe she wanted to be more masculine.. i dont know

ReputationRep:
    I'd feel pretty disgusting if I didn't wax/ shave and that's because of my personal preference more than anything else.
    How would they feel if they had to wax? It hurts.
    Then shave instead? Or laser hair removal? Or hair removal cream? Anyway waxing doesn't hurt that much, you get used to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dymphna)
    I hate being hairy anywhere. Apart from feeling cleaner and less furry, I feel a lot sexier when I've de-fuzzed. I suppose I just see it as the norm, but I prefer it, so I don't think I feel pressured into shaving.
    I agree, other than that, it's a bit ewwy to be hairier than your other half!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cymraes..)
    I'd feel pretty disgusting if I didn't wax/ shave and that's because of my personal preference more than anything else.

Then shave instead? Or laser hair removal? Or hair removal cream? Anyway waxing doesn't hurt that much, you get used to it.
    Shaving is awful. Doesn't last long and then you get horrible stubble. I epilate but its a hassle and I always miss bits. I'm going to go for the laser thing next year I think, although you have to have pale skin for that soo I don't know if I can

ReputationRep:
    I epilate but its a hassle and I always miss bits.
    I find waxing easier and less painful personally. I would love to try laser hair removal sometime though but I'd like to know what the side effects are first.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.