Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Has anyone been to America recently ??...border control experience Watch

ReputationRep:
    when i went to florida recently, nearly everyone else had to do all fingers and thumb and a picture but me, my mum and dad only had to do index finger and picture! guess they liked us, and we have an asian name (as in muslim) although we arent asian or muslim btw, not that been asian or muslim would be a problem anyway.

i think its good they are making an effort and keeping tabs on everyone entering their country although i was sooo shattered after sitting 8 hrs that i was getting really p****d off in the queue lol other than that it was really straight forward

ReputationRep:
    It wasn't so much the fingerprints and stuff, it was the general attitude of the immigration officials that annoyed me. I'm pretty sure they're told to suspect everyone of being a terrorist and to treat them as such.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ghost)
    Neither does the UK. You believe everything you read in the papers?

LOL
    You are just an idiot.
    You have no stats to back up your statement. All you can do is neg rep. Because you are too stupid to do anything else.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8159141.stm (I live in London)
    http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/rds/pdfs05/hors292.pdf

So GTFO and STFU.

But then again you are Ghost and Ghost is really cool and amazing and I love him

But the Uni of Ulster is ****, well played for getting in there a real achievement, what did you get a B and 3 Cs at A level? And you are questioning my intelligence... ROFL

Moral of this story is only to neg rep someone after having a debate, what a tool.

ReputationRep:
    I was held in one of the Canada/America (near montreal) border patrols for ages.

I've got dual nationality, also because I'd bought a car and my intention to drive it to Washington DC to sell it. They viewed this as dodgy (apparantly they havent heard of a roadtrip holiday)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dn013)
    But the Uni of Ulster is ****, well played for getting in there a real achievement, what did you get a B and 3 Cs at A level? And you are questioning my intelligence... ROFL
    Hahah, typical yank. You got so annoyed by my post that you felt the need to rummage through my site? Nice one. I'd like to think I've done fairly well for myself, not only did I "get in there", but I also got a 1st class honours, and have been awarded best graduate, and been accepted for a PhD. If you could live up to even half of that, I'd be impressed.

Editing your post 3 times because you're THAT slow a thinker is a bit pathetic. Go eat some twinkies, it'll make you feel better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ghost)
    The only bit in your post that didn't make me cringe. Keep it up.
    Wow you can read. Well done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dn013)
    Wow you can read. Well done.
    Awwwww is David getting angry?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ghost)
    Hahah, typical yank. You got so annoyed by my post that you felt the need to rummage through my site? Nice one. I'd like to think I've done fairly well for myself, getting a 1st class honours, being awarded best graduate, and being accepted for a PhD.

Go eat some twinkies, or whatever it is you people do in your spare time.
    Lol all at the university of Ulster - very impressive... Supposedly you need at least a C in math GCSE for comp sci there. ROFL

Actually we like to cure the problems of Ireland and Northern Ireland, so your welcome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncan70)
    Awwwww is David getting angry?
    Lol i was going to get angry with you but then I saw your afro, sick afro man.

ReputationRep:
    Ffs quit with the ad hominems and stick to the point.

ReputationRep:
    I hate American border control with a passion - rude to the point of offensive and when they decided to search my bags they dropped my camera (completely destroyed it) and apparently I was liable for the damage done!!!

There is also one particular security officer at my closest British airport (deals with transition to air side) who seriously gets off on her job...I can accept that you have a job to do, but there is a difference between a frisk search and you ******* groping me!

ReputationRep:
    It's more annoying when you go into any bloody building, you get searched, and then you have to sign a piece of paper saying you don't have any ICBMs on you (really).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Low Key)
    Border control in Texas finger everyone without exception.
    They WHATT ??!!! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I've done it a few times now, have no complaints with it, with one notable exception.

Why, as a 21 and 23 yr old [I've been twice] do I have to explain that I was not a member of the Nazi Government of Germany between 1933 and 1945?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tlozoot)
    It'd feel a tad weird about doing that, sure, but if it's a condition for entering their country then you either comply with it or are free to not go there.
    I know its a condition ..im just saying it was weird because its new to me and never seen a procedure like it..it certainly took time out of peoples travels(10 mins average person) and even the little teens had to do it ..For What?? ..and i want to go there ... but knowing they have your picture and fingerprints feels like youve entered a prison right?? ..well not quite cause NY was fab.. but hey whatever they need to do to protect their country right..lol

ReputationRep:
    When I flew into New York, i hesitated over my reason for being there as although I was going for 'educational' purposes (i.e. a one week summit on International Diplomacy), I wasn't going there to study at college or uni or something. The bloody immigration officer didn't seem to understand this and spent half an hour yelling at me for ticking the wrong box - and when i disagreed with him trying to point out i wasn't there for a holiday or a business trip (being 17) - the other options, he started yelling at me even more then.

He did eventually let me through after calling another lady over to interrogate me. Considering i was nearly in tears by this point - she clearly didn't regard me as terrorist material!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Why, as a 21 and 23 yr old [I've been twice] do I have to explain that I was not a member of the Nazi Government of Germany between 1933 and 1945?
    LOL! I know, and there were some other stupid questions as well - I wonder if you ticked YES, how long it would be for them to figure out you're not old enough to be a member of the Nazi govt?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jesspops)
    I love the country n all but taking your fingerprints and webcam snap...? Through border control. Thats kind of violation. They did it with everyone and i went New York and i can understand that because of 9/11 and wanting to protect the country. Is that the case of other parts of America when entering..
    Yep, happens at every entry point. When I went to Canada last year we crossed into America by road for a few days and got all the fingerprints and photos done. It's a bit of an annoyance, but no big deal, plus there were only about 30 of us in the border crossing suite, so it took us 10 mins to cross the border.

However, even before the 9/11 incident, it took a good hour to enter at Newark airport (ironically called Newark Liberty Airport). As far as Im aware, visitors to the UK have the joy of giving their fingerprints at the border, so it's all reciprocal.

The question that always amuses me on the entry card is if you're a nazi sympathiser (as if people will admit to it) :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    I've done it a few times now, have no complaints with it, with one notable exception.

They mean in any way involved, like are you a friend of David Copeland. Silly, pointless question, as are all of them on the back of that form.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jesspops)
    I love the country n all but taking your fingerprints and webcam snap...? Through border control. Thats kind of violation. They did it with everyone and i went New York and i can understand that because of 9/11 and wanting to protect the country. Is that the case of other parts of America when entering..

I found it very James Bond 007. It wasnt just one fingerprint it was both hands ..Just found it over the top.. I think other people felt violated too..

And the border control guy was nice but the questions they have to ask like ..have you been to the states before/when was the last time you came? and whats the reason for your trip??...Lifestory or what..but again they did it to everyone
    America and Canada are both lovely :yep: everything so cheap as well!

I just came back from both countries 2 weeks ago and they do the whole fingerprint and camera shot in both america and canada ... and even worse, they do it now in england!

I does however look very hi-tech but the questions are a bit personal. I got questioned for about 5 mins in a canadian airport I was sitting on my own because my family went off shopping and this suited up guy with handcuffs etc was quizzing me about my entire life! Thankfully I passed the interview and got to see the same people arrest 2 men :yep:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.