Turn on thread page Beta

Has anyone been to America recently ??...border control experience watch

ReputationRep:
    Whenever going through Heathrow border control I felt like I was entering the Middle East. :shifty:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice_Queen)
    It doesn't bother me.

I don't have anything to worry about, I haven't done anything wrong, so who cares if they have my fingerprints?

Many people see me everyday, so who cares if they have my photo?

They have your DNA and photo on a database forever- I just think it's a bit like prison procedure... I know it doesnt hurt , but i just think it's a bit morally corrupt. And some officers can be mildly rude. We were one of the first at border control but then was the last as both of us had to fill a landing card.. A good amount of travellers thought it was one per travelling group and so we were all camping at border control filling out cards..They could make their rules clear if putting them into action...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomDut)
    They've done it in all of the states i've been in.
    I landed in Arizona in 2005 and had the same experience - both hands fingerprints, webcam snap, questions etc.
    Then when I travelled across the country in 2005 to a few other states there were the questions, VISA checking etc.
    Then when I landed in New York in 2007 they took my fingerprints and my old webcam photo popped up on the screen, aswell as them taking another.

They are very strict the Americans, but hey - if they think it protects their borders then they have the right to be.
    True. It's probably because it's my first experience of this strict entering of a country. I go on holiday every year and its just the usual passport scan. Just didnt know they would quiz you on WHY your travelling even though the answer for most would be the same - HOLIDAY!! - and even after that they'd ask you a sub question of the question they just asked lol

ReputationRep:
    I went just after Christmas with my boyfriend to visit my mother, who lives in Canada. We had to stopover in Chicago. We landed at a really stupid time of the night, I was exhausted and I'd never flown before. I was soooo scared, then to make matters worse, my boyfriend's passport slipped out of his pocket on the plane. So we tried to get through the passport control thingy and he didn't have his passport (that did NOT look good). I had to stay with all the bags, because of course if you leave a bag unattended in an airport, people are going to think things. So he went off, found a nice lady who got on her walky-talky, and stopped the plane from taxiing, and got the cleaning staff to look for my bf's passport. Luckily after about half an hour they found it. I was sat on the floor in the lobby type thing at Chicago airport, crying my eyes out, and all these people were just staring at me. When the lady came bck to say she'd found the passport, we both gave her the biggest hugs!
    Lol, then she let us cut the queue, and we went to see the customs guy, who must have seen that I was very upset, and was really nice to us. We had to have a photograph taken, and our prints, then he stapled a green bit of paper into our passports (asking us all the usual questions all the while). The only thing he did get a bit funny with was he asked where we were going to be staying in Canada, and all I knew was it was in Winnipeg (cos my Mum and I had been out of touch for like 11 years), so he got a bit funny about that, but I explained the situation to him and we were free to go.

On the way home was really weird, cos we went through American customs in Canada (that confused me), and they had people searching every single piece of carry on. The women who searched mine was really nice and made small talk, and said to me "Oh my god, I love your accent, I could listen to you for hours!" Lol, she was Hispanic I think, and my British accent obviously delighted her! Haha....so overall a great experience, but pretty exceptional circumstances I guess! xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jesspops)
    True. It's probably because it's my first experience of this strict entering of a country. I go on holiday every year and its just the usual passport scan. Just didnt know they would quiz you on WHY your travelling even though the answer for most would be the same - HOLIDAY!! - and even after that they'd ask you a sub question of the question they just asked lol
    Lol, they are quite strict.
    My mother had just came out of a job on our first trip and was looking for another - the Immigration Officer asked how she could afford it if she was out of work. He even gave her a suspicious look when she said about how she'd been saving in her last job and my nan had helped.
    He then went on to quiz me on if my school were okay with me missing two weeks and if I had a letter to prove so.

I do believe some of them are much more intimidating than required.

ReputationRep:
    screw america.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Lizia)
    Not the same at all, lol. The questions you just quoted are relevant and it's perfectly possible a young person could answer "yes" to most of them. However the one being discussed is specifically asking about a person's political affiliation with a government that was dissolved over sixty years ago. Unless you're nearly 90, there's no chance at all that question is relevant, and last I heard the US was facing bigger threats than octogenarian Nazis.
    You expect the application form to know how old you are? Wow.

Seeing as the current head of the Catholic church was a member of the Hitler Youth, it seems reasonable to assume there might be some other existing Nazi members.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Lizia)
    No, but I wouldn't expect the application form to waste time asking questions that will only be relevant for, at most, a hundred or so people still living. Who would be 82 at the youngest, and not likely to be making many long haul flights for any reason, much less active terrorism. Can you not see why that's a ridiculous question to ask, and why it's in no way comparable to the ones you quoted presumably meant as proof the UK is just as strict?

Being a member of the Hitler Youth doesn't count as being a part of the Nazi Government, lol. As I said, anyone who was a part of the Nazi government or even officially a member of the Nazi party is at least 82. And that's presuming they signed up as soon as legally possible, and towards the end of the Nazi regime. I would hazard a guess that more than 99% of the visitors to America aren't octogenarian German Nazi ministers, which I think means the question loses its credibility as being "reasonable".
    I would hazard a guess than more than 99% of visitors to the UK haven't committed genocide, either.

Why does it bother you so much that there is a question on a form that doesn't apply to you or most people? Get a grip.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jesspops)
    They have your DNA and photo on a database forever- I just think it's a bit like prison procedure... I know it doesnt hurt , but i just think it's a bit morally corrupt. And some officers can be mildly rude. We were one of the first at border control but then was the last as both of us had to fill a landing card.. A good amount of travellers thought it was one per travelling group and so we were all camping at border control filling out cards..They could make their rules clear if putting them into action...
    They don't take your DNA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chloe901)
    On the way home was really weird, cos we went through American customs in Canada (that confused me)
    That's done as America have a agreement with Canada (as well as some other countries) to make life easier for passengers as your treated as a domestic flight on arrival (so you can just walk onto the street as if you were flying Manchester-London)
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Lizia)
    Really? There have been a hell of a lot of genocides within living memory, and all it asks is if you partook in any shape or form. I'd say it was more likely someone would fit that criteria, than them having been a member of a specific fascist government that hasn't existed for sixty years. But if you think there are more 80+ Nazis out there wanting to fly to America to do their Nazi business, than there are relatively young ex-soldiers from recent genocidal regimes who bear a grudge, then more power to you

It doesn't bother me at all, other than amusing me with its sheer ridiculous nature. All that bothered me was that you thought such an idiotic and amusing question was the same as asking about any known terrorist affiliation, as if you don't ask all those questions on top of the stupid Nazi one. Why does it bother you so much that we think this question is so idiotic? It's a dumb question, we're allowed to be amused by it. Get a grip.

You are getting way too worked up over this question. Take a deep breath.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Lizia)
    I'm really not. I just thought I'd point out you're being unreasonable. The question makes me laugh. You make me facepalm. Nevermind though.
    You've written 455 words on why that question shouldn't be on that application form. Complete fail.

ReputationRep:
    I thought the border control at LAX were fine! We were in a pretty huge queue of people (12 hour flight from Auckland), and I thought they'd question why I was flying from New Zealand but they didn't even mention it. I was quite nervous about the whole thing, even though I had nothing to hide at all. The security officer was fine with me too - I couldn't keep a straight face for my photo but he didn't mind at all.

However, I don't agree with the finger prints or eye scans - they're treating you like a criminal before even stepping foot in the country.

ReputationRep:
    Went last week, green card and fingerprints, no big issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la fille danse)
    You've written 455 words on why that question shouldn't be on that application form. Complete fail.
    You cared enough about my posts to have the words in them counted. I'd say that's more of a fail. :thumbsup:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizia)
    You cared enough about my posts to have the words in them counted. I'd say that's more of a fail. :thumbsup:
    Lol. Could have used something like MS word to count them?

ReputationRep:
    US Immigration is no issue to me. I went to America last month with my dad. I expected that two guys on their own would be treated pretty badly at the border but we weren't. We landed in Chicago, got to the immigration desk, were told we'd missed out some details on the green form but it was no problem.

The people at the desks are a bit hit or miss. I've been to America many times and I've had loads of different experiences. The guy at Chicago was perfectly polite, if a little fed up (but who wouldn't be doing that job?). The woman at Minneapolis when I went a couple of years ago was very rude, and the first thing she said to me was WHY ARE YOU HERE? The guy at LAX when I went in 2005 was really polite, so it's a mixed bag in that respect.

But it's like everything like that. If you just accept that you have to do it then there's no problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCM89)
    They got very excitable with me as I have Syrian visa stamps in my passport. They still let me in though.
    Oooh what happened? I have 2 passports, would it be advisable to use the one without the Syrian stamp in it?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, we kind of tend to be a bit crazy about border control in America, especially lately. It's kind of ridiculous after a certain point.

(Original post by Lell)
    Oooh what happened? I have 2 passports, would it be advisable to use the one without the Syrian stamp in it?
    If you have a passport without a Syrian stamp then definitely use that one. I was subjected to 'additional security' before checking in - a lot of questions about why I'd travelled to Syria (they didn't seem interested in the Jordanian or Egyptian visa stamps) and was I aware that the country was hostile to America and all that. Only held me back about 15 mins but I was stressed as I hadn't expected the additional scrutiny and I was worried they wouldn't let me check in for the flight. I then had the same thing at US immigration. I've travelled to the US several times since - on a new passport - and zipped through with no problems :rolleyes: so definitely use the other passport!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.