Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Ben77mc)
    The times is written so badly.
    The telegraph is the only paper that I can actually bring myself to read.
    I used to like The Telegraph, but ever since Heffer joined, the newspaper has gone down hill and now resembles The Daily Mail. Also, have you seen their website?! It feels like I'm reading a tabloid... I can feel my intelligence lowering!

I disagree on The Times being badly written, though. I'd argue it's probably the most well-written. (Even if at times it's more centre-centre than centre-right.)

ReputationRep:
    The times is written so badly.
    In what way is The Times "written so badly"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Overmars)
    In what way is The Times "written so badly"?
    Okay, it was a bit of an exaggeration, but for some reason, I just don't like the way it's written.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, it was a bit of an exaggeration, but for some reason, I just don't like the way it's written.
    What is that reason?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Overmars)
    What is that reason?
    It just doesn't appeal to me on an intellectual level, whereas The Telegraph, does.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    The Guardian is a high quality broadsheet newspaper. What I read in it I can be sure that that is a very close account of what actually happened in nearly every single case. It is full of professionalism in it's journalistic aspects and the opinion sections make excellent points and the language/writing is of high quality.

I'm a right-winger and Times reader so as you expect I don't ever buy this paper because I disagree with a lot of the columnists but it's much much much better than the tabloids or the Daily Fail.

ReputationRep:
    It's for mostly for members of the bourgeoisie who have a conscience

ReputationRep:
    It just doesn't appeal to me on an intellectual level, whereas The Telegraph, does.
    Hmm, that's some pretty good BSing.

Nice job, buddy.

ReputationRep:
    Probably my favourite paper, even though my parents buy The Times. I find it more colourful and attractive, and inb4 "silly lefty", shock horror, I agree with its content (mostly).

ReputationRep:
    Best paper around, I don't see how it's for poor people though.

I bought the Independent today as there were no Guardians in the shop. Amusing Vince Cable interview aside, it was a bit crap.

ReputationRep:
    I love The Guardian! Everything from the G2 supplement to the front-page news...it makes my mornings! :love:

ReputationRep:
    I like it but why is it so big? That goes for the FT as well. What is the reasoning?

ReputationRep:
    I sometimes read it, although I usually prefer the Independent

ReputationRep:
    It's a brilliant paper except for Madeleine Bunting who is stupid beyond comparison.

And to all those who say it's too big it's actually a happy medium size (the Berliner) between tabloid and broadsheet which I like. Sophisticated without being impossible to handle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lefty_P)
    I like it but why is it so big? That goes for the FT as well. What is the reasoning?
    To confuse the proleteriat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lefty_P)
    Maybe to try to make it look more classy?

ReputationRep:
    I love the guardian, it's the best newspaper by far. It's always well written and easily understandable, without being patronising or dull. I like the Independent too, but I've never really gotten on with the Times, something about the way it's written doesn't really float my boat, but I couldn't put my finger on it.

Oh, and Charlie Brooker is amazing :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I'm an international student, but I read the Guardian every morning online.
    It's pretty good.

ReputationRep:
    I like the Guardian. The layout's really good. Apparently it has the most typos out of all the newspapers in the UK. Not that that matters. I just know random shiz.
    I prefer The Independent, though. Not really sure why...

ReputationRep:
    Its better than you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.