Turn on thread page Beta

The guardian watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .ACS.)
    It's a rubbish newspaper. Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

The Times though... :love:
    aah! the Times... so editorially independent, doesn't at all follow Murdoch's line[/sarcasm]
    still its better than the Torygraph.

The Guardian, however, rules all! Editorially independent (if strongly left wing)(ben goldacre ftw!), prints real news, good interesting supplements (G2, media, technology, education, the weekend, money, the guide) rather than "the middle class gardens of south east england" and the typos for which it is famous are hilarious!:yes:

at the end of the day, for comment and investigative journalism, Private Eye is the best; sadly being fortnightly, one can't really read it for daily news!

p.s. My college has to get 2 copies of the guardian each day it is so sort after

ReputationRep:
    Daily Mail ftw.

Yes, I am joking haters.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Ramps)
    It's a brilliant paper except for Madeleine Bunting who is stupid beyond comparison.

And to all those who say it's too big it's actually a happy medium size (the Berliner) between tabloid and broadsheet which I like. Sophisticated without being impossible to handle.
    Sophisticated is something The Guardian is not.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Lefty_P)
    I like it but why is it so big? That goes for the FT as well. What is the reasoning?
    If you mean 'why does it have such a large surface area' the reasoning is that back in ye old days there were two types of newspaper: broadsheets and tabloids. Broadsheets were of a higher intellectual standard than the tabloids, hence where we get the tabloids of today like The Sun and other such crap. Broadsheet was the name of the format they were printed in, and this was much bigger than the tabloids, hence were the term broadsheet comes from to describe the nation's best Newspapers: The Times, Guardian, Telegraph, etc.

Of course many of the broadsheets have abandoned the broadsheet printing format for a more practical smaller format. The Times is printed in tabloid format - although anyone who reads it knows it is not an actual tabloid. The Guardian is printed in the berliner format, not broadsheet format. Only The Telegraph and Financial Times still use the broadsheet format I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    The Guardian is a high quality broadsheet newspaper. What I read in it I can be sure that that is a very close account of what actually happened in nearly every single case. It is full of professionalism in it's journalistic aspects and the opinion sections make excellent points and the language/writing is of high quality.
    You realise you sound like a bloomin' exam mark scheme? :p:

More to the point though - The Guardian's great.

ReputationRep:
    It's laden with typos, and the G2, OMM and Guide never cease to annoy me, but their Review, Sports and Comment & Debate sections are all great. My dad buys it, so I tend to read it over his. My mam buys the Western Mail on weekdays (Guardian+Observer on weekends), and it's a bit tedious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munro90)
    aah! the Times... so editorially independent, doesn't at all follow Murdoch's line[/sarcasm]
    still its better than the Torygraph.

The Guardian, however, rules all! Editorially independent (if strongly left wing)(ben goldacre ftw!), prints real news, good interesting supplements (G2, media, technology, education, the weekend, money, the guide) rather than "the middle class gardens of south east england" and the typos for which it is famous are hilarious!:yes:
    Torygraph is old. Especially since they stopped supporting David Cameron. It's now the Maily Telegraph thanks to 'Thirsty' Will Lewis' tenure and enthusiasm for kowtowing to the prejudices of Middle England. If you actually read it, it's basically like an inferior Daily Mail (which may be a force for evil, but is a very successful force for evil).

But yes. Nick Davies, Ben Goldacre, Charlie Brooker. As far as I'm concerned, the rest of the paper could be various pictures of Alan Rusbridger with his trousers down, wiping his arse with £20 notes, I'd still read it for those three. Actually, I'd probably prefer it if they replayed Polly Toynbee, Tanya Gold, Simon Jenkins and Lucy Mangan with pictures of Alan Rusbridger wiping his arse with £20 pound notes.

Actually, two other things I like about the guardian. One is its layout. The other is sarky captions.

ReputationRep:
    Good old newspaper snobbery
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by hxmjam)
    Good old newspaper snobbery
    :laugh:

If there weren't any, we wouldn't have different newspapers. :p:

ReputationRep:
    hardly 'the paper for poor people', its geared mainly towards social democrats I think... the Old Labour types, and increasingly current liberal democrats. Attracts a lot of the teachers, parents, doctors, nurses, and other people who work in the public sector.

It's a good paper, definitely one of the most intellectual out there. It lacks the bias and moral outrage that seems to infuse every article in the rightwing broadsheets, plus the celeb gossip of the tabloids. It's a voice of common sense. The only thing I would say is that its long articles have a tendency to be both a bit smug and a bit dull.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in it for the supplements.
    I love supplements.
    We're moving house, and my stepdad cannot understand why i have packed a towering pile of unread supplements.

ReputationRep:
    I occasionally buy one to have a laugh at some of the namby pamby state sector jobs on offer

ReputationRep:
    The only thing I hate more than the Guardian newspaper is people who read the Guardian newspaper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    If you mean 'why does it have such a large surface area' the reasoning is that back in ye old days there were two types of newspaper: broadsheets and tabloids. Broadsheets were of a higher intellectual standard than the tabloids, hence where we get the tabloids of today like The Sun and other such crap. Broadsheet was the name of the format they were printed in, and this was much bigger than the tabloids, hence were the term broadsheet comes from to describe the nation's best Newspapers: The Times, Guardian, Telegraph, etc.

Of course many of the broadsheets have abandoned the broadsheet printing format for a more practical smaller format. The Times is printed in tabloid format - although anyone who reads it knows it is not an actual tabloid. The Guardian is printed in the berliner format, not broadsheet format. Only The Telegraph and Financial Times still use the broadsheet format I think.
    Thanks. I gathered that myself but thought there may be a bigger reason I wasn't aware of. I just find it way too impractical and can only read these papers at home.

ReputationRep:
    ...is my paper.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Galatea)
    It's a good paper, definitely one of the most intellectual out there. It lacks the bias and moral outrage that seems to infuse every article in the rightwing broadsheets, plus the celeb gossip of the tabloids. It's a voice of common sense. The only thing I would say is that its long articles have a tendency to be both a bit smug and a bit dull.
    Oh the hilarity!!! :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    It's not a paper for poor people. It's a paper for the sanctimonious middle classes. It's also pretty much beholden to the Government in general and the Labour Party in particular, given that it will likely go bust when the Tories withdraw the state advertising contracts that are presently keeping it afloat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    It's too big

Why do news paper makers not make their bloody newspapers small :mad:

Impossible to read unless you have a huge table

Your not the only one who find them impossible to read

The reason i hate the gaurdian is that they used one of posts and put it out of context! I didn't know the guardian used people's posts from TSR!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.