Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'd really like to live in Tokyo for a year ,anyone tell me about the place? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone i know that i want to get out of England for a year to experiance new culture and learn a new language.
    I realise that you can't just say ok today im going to live here etc
    The uni course that i've chosen which is Youth and community devolpment might not allow me to have a reason for going over to Japan.
    Which is unforenate as i'd love to go
    To anyone that has lived or wants to live in Tokyo , tell me what you need to have before they accept you over their? , i've heard you can go if you want to teach english but i take it you need degree standereds for that
    do you have to know the language , have a valid reason for wanting to live their , can youth work allow you to get a placement somewhere abroad ?

all help would be massivly appricated
    Helen

ReputationRep:
    Woah, you need to visit somewhere beforehand before you decide you want to live there..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    Woah, you need to visit somewhere beforehand before you decide you want to live there..
    This.

Tokyo is an acquired taste. You have to take the train everywhere just to go to drinking somewhere decent and watch the game. Stupid bars in Suginami don't show any Premiership football. Even then its like £6 quid for a pint of cider.

(Original post by princessheylaa)
    Hey everyone i know that i want to get out of England for a year to experiance new culture and learn a new language.
    I realise that you can't just say ok today im going to live here etc
    The uni course that i've chosen which is Youth and community devolpment might not allow me to have a reason for going over to Japan.
    Which is unforenate as i'd love to go
    To anyone that has lived or wants to live in Tokyo , tell me what you need to have before they accept you over their? , i've heard you can go if you want to teach english but i take it you need degree standereds for that
    do you have to know the language , have a valid reason for wanting to live their , can youth work allow you to get a placement somewhere abroad ?

all help would be massivly appricated
    Helen
    Firstly, learn to spell and punctuate properly. If I was Japanese and wanted my kids to learn English I wouldn't want you teaching them. So kill that illusion and actually learn something about what is around you, rather than what is 6000 miles away. If you struggle with English, you'll have no chance in Japanese. It requires patience, intelligence and a lot of time and commitment.

Yeah, you need a degree to get a work visa in Japland. But you also need to justify being over there for a year. Just because you have a degree doesn't mean a company will wang their **** over you for a contract.

ReputationRep:
    I think guy_incognito is right, you need to think more seriously about this, and exactly why you want to go to Japan in particular.

Why the interest in Japan? Why haven't you traveled there before? I'm also quite interested in living in Japan, but I've been before and intend to go many times again, and learn the language beforehand. Believe me its not easy to learn either as far as languages go (and Tokyo isn't the best place to learn either...).

I think you should go there for a month or so first to see if you even like the place :p:

-----------------

As for your question, I've always been of the opinion you need a degree. However, I have heard from people on here (I believe the above poster was one of them) that you can get teaching work without one. You don't need to know the language to survive and you would be OK learning as you go.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.