Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi there,

i have a conditional offer to study English at Exeter Uni next year, but I've also applied for English / English and History at Trinity College Dublin.

I dont get an offer or rejection from Trinity College till AFTER my A level results come out, but if i DID get into Trinity AND meet the offer Exeter has given (AAA) i'll have a tough decision to make...

any views? exeter or trinity?!?

thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    Totally biased towards Trinity here..

Yes because it works off the system of actually knowing your results...as there are an awful lot less unis and colleges to apply to. You might actually know Round Zero (end of July) rather than Round One like everyone here though. English and History are extremely well respected schools in TCD, I share some modules with both. Since you're TSM you'll have less of a workload than the single-honour students doing either one or the other have. It's a beautifully worked out system (unlike my course...). I recommend History of Ireland, one of the lecturers sucks but the other 3 or so are fascinating. I don't know enough about what other courses you'd be doing to tell you though. Although you would get to study Beowulf in first year english. Both courses are very active as regards class reps and social life etc. TCD is smack bang in the centre of Dublin (you could always not live in the centre though and save yourself a fortune) and is an absolutely beutiful and compact campus with a brilliant history.

ReputationRep:
    I only know about Trinity... and it is a lovely campus, with a great student life, with it being in the centre of Dublin - i will tell you that English is an extremely competitve course at TCD - the points for that subject for Irish students are almost as high as Law!!!! But i know a good few graduates who did English and they loved it, and history for that matter. The only downside is the expense - Dublin is rotten expensive - and although tuition fees are free at the moment (subject to change) you still pay €1500 euro in registration fees (and an extra year because courses at Trinity are 4 year not 3 year like in the UK). I paid about $4500 for a year in Halls (but I highly recommend it ) If your not in Halls I suggest somewhere like Inchicore (Blackhorse Road Luas Stop Red Line) its much cheaper and only 20 mins from the city centre.

ReputationRep:
    Trinity College :yep:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Do you want to live in the UK or in Ireland?

ReputationRep:
    Exeter

ReputationRep:
    I would pick Trinity but only because I love Dublin-nothing to do with the uni or anything so yeah probably best not to listen to me lol

AJxx

ReputationRep:
    wow looks like trinity is winning at the moment. thanks for all the advice
    any more views?

(Original post by T. Hereford)
    Exeter
    T. Hereford - any particular reason for chosing Exeter?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by very_indecisive)
    wow looks like trinity is winning at the moment. thanks for all the advice
    any more views?

T. Hereford - any particular reason for chosing Exeter?
    Just a personal choice but they are both good unis so you can't go wrong whichever one you decide to choose.

ReputationRep:
    I dont know much about exeter, but English in Trinity is really high points. I've heard so many good things about it.
    Just watch out for the "no fees" thing over here. We have to pay 1500 on a registration fee a year, and fees are probably gonna come in next year.
    But yeah trinity is deadly cos its basically at the bottom of irelands main shopping road! - grafton street.

ReputationRep:
    As above however TCD is an amazing place and a beautiful university. I was acespted onto a PhD there however was not given funding by IRCSET. Would have made my postgraduate desicision very hard as the PhD was a great opportunity.

My advice is to visit TCD as it is in central Dublin and flights aren't to much. Plus a good excuse for a holiday!

ReputationRep:
    Trinity College Dublin is lovely, I was in Dublin a few weeks ago for a short break. I'd love to have the opportunity to study there, or even live there for a while. It's expensive though, like London to us, so bear that in mind - and you'd be under the Euro. I don't really see anything in Exeter to make me want to go there, so I have no opinion on it.

ReputationRep:
    I would have thought the choice would be rather obvious myself, given how different the universities and cities are. Ireland or Britain? Colder or warmer climate? Larger or smaller city? Larger or smaller university? Busy or relaxed? More shops and bars or less shops and bars? Euro or pound? Perhaps Irish or British employer? This list goes on and on...

I'm assuming that TCD has a bias towards particular literature (i.e. that which is less Anglo-centric). The courses could be radically different too. I know Exeter has a strong English dept., but couldn't tell you about TCD. Both will no doubt be strong departments, in good universities. It really is down to personal preference - and given that both TCD and Exeter are at opposite ends of the spectrum for most things, I would have thought the decision would be easy...

I would choose Exeter over Dublin, partly because I've never been to Dublin, but mainly because I prefer the lazier lifestyle and couldn't be doing with the city. Simples.

ReputationRep:
    I'd imagine the climates would have ***** all difference between them. Who wouldn't want an Irish employer over a British one, minimum wage is much higher, and the working time act allows for longer/more breaks and lunches and other rights..

Well it stands to reason that the TCD English department would do a lot of the Irish literary greats, most of whom attended there, but English and History both have irish and British modules for this kind of thing, it's very broad. How big is Exeter anyway? What's it's ranking, if you care about that kind of thing?

ReputationRep:
    There's a big difference between climates. The southwest is the warmest part of the UK by far. Some areas are full of palm trees (Exeter university has some, but there are loads in Cornwall which is a neighbouring county). Given the amount of people on this forum saying that they wouldn't move up north because of the weather differences, I wouldn't automatically assume that the OP doesn't care about such things.

Exeter is relatively small for a city, and is nothing like the larger British cities. The league table position for Exeter at the moment is between 13-9th (according to a quick Wiki search). Obviously Dublin doesn't register, being in a different country and all that jazz.

ReputationRep:
    Well Dublin is moderate, we don't get snow. I still don't see how it'd be a major factor, it's not an extreme. I meant the THES rankings, in which TCD is 49th, the only one in which both unis would be. Dublin is nothing like large British cities. The 'city centre' streets where most people would be is a handful of streets in fairness. It's very compact and there's no air pollution- something I was shocked by in London.

Anyway, best to visit Dublin if you're still very uncertain OP, plenty to fit in between seeing Trinity.

ReputationRep:
    Well, whether or not you or I believe climate to be a factor doesn't matter. Some people on TSR are bothered by it. Having lived in the north east of England for 18 years, and having lived for several more years in the depths of the south west, I can assure you that the weather is very different. If you are saying that Dublin is warmer, then fair enough, I've never visited.

ReputationRep:
    Ah I have the same decision to make (assumming I make my 3A offer at Exeter for economics). I really dont know what I will do, they both look like fab unis ahh...

ReputationRep:
    TCD¡ bring it on its entered the top 50th best uni ranks, plus on yout thir year abroad you can go to top ivy league unis.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.