Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much!

And to think I was going to get a piece of paper and try and work that out...

ReputationRep:
    Is this not just a reciprocal of Pascals Triangle

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Small123)
    Is this not just a reciprocal of Pascals Triangle
    Nearly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calvinuk)
    I got that too.....

OP your maths dept. is retarded.
    if you think that's bad. Our further maths teacher (for jan exams) taught us the old spec. for D1, and two days before the exam, i had to tell her that it's wrong. And for the previous week i had done nothing but tableu and flows, the 2 things that won't on there. really annoying. I'd like to think that's my reason for a C grade, have retaken tho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Totally Tom)
    eugh, how do these people get into teaching maths =[
    Well to be honest I just graduated with a first in maths and I couldn't get it! (admittedly didn't try that hard) I reckon I could easily be a maths teacher. You seem to have a lot of faith in maths teachers when all you need is a 2.2 to do a PGCE. Most people who do maths in this country would lack the intuition to do these sort of problems and harder ones I imagine. Quite a lot of people get top grades without intuition just by learning book work. For example, I got 4A's and then a first but I completely failed STEP. At University I got book work in the exams but couldn't do the unseen. 71% overall, sweet! So I have no faith in the education system anymore!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rnd)
    Schools like this offer A level maths? I'm surprised.
    Most school subjects and even university ones require little understanding. Intuition has been removed from education! Too demoralising to the people who don't have it I imagine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flying Scotsman)
    ...all you need is a 2.2 to do a PGCE....
    It's worse than you think..

http://www.marjon.ac.uk/courses/cour...ndmathematics/

but you know why don't you.....You maths graduates just wont do it, for the most part.

Edit: I don't think that problem required intuition really though. Just the look of it had me thinking 'Pascal's triangle'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flying Scotsman)
    Well to be honest I just graduated with a first in maths and I couldn't get it! (admittedly didn't try that hard) I reckon I could easily be a maths teacher. You seem to have a lot of faith in maths teachers when all you need is a 2.2 to do a PGCE. Most people who do maths in this country would lack the intuition to do these sort of problems and harder ones I imagine. Quite a lot of people get top grades without intuition just by learning book work. For example, I got 4A's and then a first but I completely failed STEP. At University I got book work in the exams but couldn't do the unseen. 71% overall, sweet! So I have no faith in the education system anymore!
    mmm, it does annoy me because at my old high school there were only a few teachers who could actually do the a level material let alone teach it. i mean if you are teaching it you should really be able to do the a level stuff.

eugh. physics is even worse mind.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 28, 2009
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.