Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've read in the course outline for Physics with Astrophysics in the Uni of Glasgow that there is an accelerated four year option for the Msci for "extremely able" students. Does anybody know what we're talking here? Does that mean high IQ gifted students who've already published stuff, or is it merely people who've gotten mostly A's in their modules up to that point? How many people on average would go this route?

ReputationRep:
    I assume they are talking about "Faster Route". Rather than study Physics+2 other subjects in first year, and Physics+1 other in second year; you would study only Physics for all 3 years of your BSc (120 credits per year). You basically study all the physics material from 1st & 2nd year in a single year, then progress to 3rd & 4th year (now your 2nd & 3rd year) with the rest of the students. I fyou dig around their website you should find PDFs with more details. This is the first year they will have tried this option, and (for maths anyway) you generally need a few Advanced Highers with good grades (though you would be welcome to contact them with other qualifications).

ReputationRep:
    No. It's not the skipping first year option. It's an option whereby you take 160 credits each in 3rd and 4th years, thereby shortening the time from 3 to 2 years. You do your M.Sci project over the summer between 3rd and 4th year.

ReputationRep:
    You need Advanced Highers or A-levels at AAB, two As being Physics and Maths. I was under the impression that it was (almost) simply a case of skipping the first year, since much of the first year is contained in or at the same level as the aforementioned courses.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm. Well obviously nobody's ever heard of this. I have to say, there's very little reference to it so I'd say it's not very common. However, if you look at the Programme Specification for the MSci in Physics with Astrophysics, located here:
    http://senate.gla.ac.uk/progspecs/MS...trophysics.pdf

you'll notice the following paragraph on page 6:

The MSci programme in Physics with Astrophysics lasts 4 years or 5 years and contains a minimum of 600 credits, as required by the regulations of the Faculty of Science set out in the University Calendar. The 4-year (accelerated) and 5-year alternatives have common first and second years, but differ in rate of progress thereafter, though the contents are the same.

You'll see, then, that A level results are not relevant to this option as it does not involved skipping first year, but rather compressing years 3,4, and 5 into 2 years.

ReputationRep:
    It's a new thing- first and second year are condensed into one year, you take the qualifying modules but do not need to take your electives as far as I can gather. It's on the website as 'faster route' and requires AAB to include further maths- its also available as a three year BSc(hons).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.