Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering if everyone here has heard about the draconian measures passed by nu-Labour in relation to the Olympics. The Olympics Act 2006 has some very worrying powers. Having looked at this myself I am especially worried by the following bits:

19 Advertising regulations

(1) The Secretary of State shall make regulations about advertising in the vicinity of London Olympic events.

(4) The regulations may apply in respect of advertising of any kind including, in particular—
    (a) advertising of a non-commercial nature, and
    (b) announcements or notices of any kind.

(5) The regulations may apply in respect of advertising in any form including, in particular—
    (a) the distribution or provision of documents or articles,
    (b) the display or projection of words, images, lights or sounds, and
    (c) things done with or in relation to material which has or may have purposes or uses other than as an advertisement.

22 Enforcement: power of entry

(1) A constable or enforcement officer may—
    (a) enter land or premises on which they reasonably believe a contravention of regulations under section 19 is occurring (whether by reason of advertising on that land or premises or by the use of that land or premises to cause an advertisement to appear elsewhere);
    (b) remove, destroy, conceal or erase any infringing article;
    (c) when entering land under paragraph
    (a), be accompanied by one or more persons for the purpose of taking action under paragraph (b);
    (d) use, or authorise the use of, reasonable force for the purpose of taking action under this subsection.
    http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2006...60012_en_2#pb4

So basically the Secretary of State has the power to pass regulations limiting 'advertising' in the vicinity of the Olympic events. However, as you can see from the above 'advertising' includes non-commercial material or even mere notices or announcements with uses not limited to 'advertising'. If that isn't bad enough the police can enter private property by warrant and can use (or give someone else the power to use) reasonable force against you to take the offending items!

Since advertising is generally understood to be the act of attracting public attention to a product or business usually to attract sales this is a very wide definition of advertising Labour has created. Imo anything could be defined as advertising under these grounds. This seems like a means by the back door to attack freedom of expression!

Police powers for 2012 Olympics alarm critics
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/ju...ivil-liberties

Both the the police and the gov have said these powers are not going to be used to attack freedom of expression. I thought the goons from China 'protecting' the Olympic torch in London had a whiff of unpleasantness about it but this is something else. They have a shiny new toy, are they going to play with it do you think? Only time will tell....

ReputationRep:
    hmmmm, right.

Probably because sponsership deals are so lucrative, they don't want any to embarrass the sponsers.

ReputationRep:
    I suspect it's because they don't want people using the olympics as a platform for political campaigning since it could cause a riot or something due to it being such an international event. For example Israel wouldn't be happy if there were loads of "Free Palestine" posters all over the place.

ReputationRep:
    It's a broad Act. The actual meaning of vicinity and advertising will be elucidated upon in the Regulations made under the authority of the Act.

ReputationRep:
    few years ago they were reports that they have designated lanes in the road where ordinary traffic will be banned so the fat piggy olympic officals can be driven around without having to deal with the plebs.

ReputationRep:
    Well the daily mail seems to think it is going ahead:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...2012-VIPs.html

But I really don't give diddly-squat. They can stuff their Olympics for all I care and prance about their 'special lanes' all they like. I shan't be attending or watching the event.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.