Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If You Could Genetically Engineer Your Child... watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharlieNoir)
    But that's it. It would become a competition, people wouldn't have kids because they wanted something to love and care for, it would to be better than the neighbours. People would be comparing their kid's stats. It would be horrible to be a child, being constantly compared to every other kid.
    It everyone was the best humanly possible at everything, there would be hardly any point for competitions, because everyone would draw.
    Life would be just boring.
    I said in my starter post this would be done secretly, so no one else would know except you and the child. There would be no competition between parents all trying to genetically create their own babies.

ReputationRep:
    I'd create the best possible outcome out of my own and my wife's genes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    I only want a kid to see what somebody who is half me and half my gf looks like. So I'd have to turn down the offer.
    This, only half myself and half my boyfriend. It's not the only reason I want a baby obviously, but I do want to see what we will naturally create together.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unknown?)
    I'd said I'd still love my child, I would consider this pointless if I didn't get to raise and love it like a normal son/daughter. Your all changing the subject saying that this would be a competition with other parents who have genetically altered their children probably because your afraid other children wouldn't be able to keep up. I want the best for my child, I'd consider an artificially created child as my own son/daughter and I'd also want the best for them, hence the dna manipulation.

The only reason to genetically modify your child is to "give them an advantage", (ie. compete with other natural children), so you started the competition idea, not us.

And maybe you would still love your fake created child, but why could you not love an imperfect natural child jsut as much?

ReputationRep:
    Three words: Guns. For. Arms

:yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spanghew)
    The only reason to genetically modify your child is to "give them an advantage", (ie. compete with other natural children), so you started the competition idea, not us.

And maybe you would still love your fake created child, but why could you not love an imperfect natural child jsut as much?
    I would love an "imperfect natural child" as you say, I never said I couldn't, but I would also want my child to be smarter, stronger and healthier than what would be possible for them with my dna. I don't see why people need their children to have their dna which you can't even see to consider a child to be your own. If I knew I could make the child I could raise better I would. Of course they would have the advantage over other children, but that will give them a better quality of life and will also benefit the species more when they pass on their genes. I never said that this genetic manipulation would become widespread and parents would be creating their children in order to compete with everyone elses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Irrelevance)
    Rather play the genetic lottery, it's more fun that way. Engineering a child to be good at everything would be plain boring, if you ask me.

"Oh look dear, our child is uber at everything"
    "I know. You told me that after you put the order down"
    Lol, i'm giving you pos rep for this!

ReputationRep:
    **** no

ReputationRep:
    What and then have a child who is infinitely superior than me in every way and by age 12 is undermining everything I say or do? No thanks. I'd rather have a child who is normal and makes the best of what he starts with rather than having a Superkid who feels on a different level than everyone.

ReputationRep:
    I'd make Maddie Mccann and then collect the reward.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharlieNoir)
    But that's it. It would become a competition, people wouldn't have kids because they wanted something to love and care for, it would to be better than the neighbours. People would be comparing their kid's stats. It would be horrible to be a child, being constantly compared to every other kid.
    It everyone was the best humanly possible at everything, there would be hardly any point for competitions, because everyone would draw.
    Life would be just boring.
    People already do compare their kids stats & compete them. :shot:

ReputationRep:
    mmm... either your kid wouldn't be human, or it would be genetically related to someone else?? Why would there be a difference between you and these people?

Noo, I wouldn't, I would only do it to get rid of GENETIC illnesses/ prevent myself having a child with one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Irrelevance)
    Rather play the genetic lottery, it's more fun that way. Engineering a child to be good at everything would be plain boring, if you ask me.

"Oh look dear, our child is uber at everything"
    "I know. You told me that after you put the order down"
    I want an uber kid :moon:

I'd raise him as a footballer and kick back in 20 years :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skye333)
    mmm... either your kid wouldn't be human, or it would be genetically related to someone else?? Why would there be a difference between you and these people?

Noo, I wouldn't, I would only do it to get rid of GENETIC illnesses/ prevent myself having a child with one.
    The child could end up related closer somewhat to someone else with some genetic similarities but I doubt that person would then consider the child theirs.

ReputationRep:
    No, the problem is it would start a trend towards certain "desired" genes which then leads to a lack of genetic diversity, and everyone knows that's bad.

I'm not going to be the one to start humanity down the path to being taken over by slimed creatures formed from the discarded human DNA who rise up and infect all the genetically identical humans with a virus.

ReputationRep:
    No, I wouldn't. I want whatever kids God sees fit to give me, not ones I've crafted into some sort of super-child.

ReputationRep:
    Dunno. I think from the kid's view it would be awesome to have enhanced strength, intelligence, lifespan etc, so perhaps from that viewpoint it would be justified.

ReputationRep:
    I wish my parents engineered me. As it is I'm nature's idea of a sense of humour :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't. If I had kids I would want them to be like me so I could watch them grow and try to mould the imperfections of myself out of them.

And as the old saying goes, there's no good without bad. The perfect kid doesn't exist and he'd turn out a right cocky **** if it did.

ReputationRep:
    Easy answer, i'd make him uber at ALMOST everything. get him into amazing places on scholarships, reap the reward money.

BUUTTTTTT. make him not very good at the things i'm good at, so i can still beat him at my own games :awesome:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.