Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Iraq: World's 4th largest oil reserves, so why is it so poor? Watch

ReputationRep:
    yeah the US is stealing it and no one can deny it... and even the americans agree to this by not replying to this thread at all. too bad america spend soo much money in the 5 year war with iraq... THEY LOST :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FAILINGKID)
    yeah the US is stealing it and no one can deny it... and even the americans agree to this by not replying to this thread at all. too bad america spend soo much money in the 5 year war with iraq... THEY LOST :cool:

DO you know how much money the large corporations have made from private contracts and reconstruction/oil in Iraq. It kind of makes it obvious why America invaded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neodymium)
    Hold on. US was the reason that UN has imposed sanctions on iraq at the first place. So technically, US is responsible for iraq's terrible economy, pre or post 2003.
    And was also strictly enforced by the Kuwaitis and Saudis in order to allow them to maintain their valuation of crude oil during the 1990's.

ReputationRep:
    America stealing all of the oil and ruining the country's infrastructure.

ReputationRep:
    America's objective was to get rid of Hussein, his dictatorship and the WMD's (turned ou there were none). They completed all the above objectives.

That's mission success to me.

The sectarian violence? Not a problem of ours. If Iraqi's want to kill their own, let them. As long as they don't kill any of ours. The violence isn't America or her allies problem. It's the Iraqi's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davy-Jones)
    I always knew Iraq being in the middle-east had a bit of oil, but I have only just learned today that it has the world's 4th largest oil reserves (behind Saudi Arabia, Canada, Iran).
    Why then is it such a poor country? I know the political instability always doesn't allow the country to progress, but the rest of these oil rich countries, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, UAE, Qatar etc. havn't just boomed out of nowhere only a few years ago..it's the result of work done since late 70's/early 80's.
    I'm not aware of Iraq's entire history, but why did the country not capitalize on this boom well before all this instability and political war kicked in? Also, assuming ofcourse the oil reserves are still active and are contributing the most to its economy, where is all this money going? where is it being spent :confused:
    what natural resources does Japan have? It has the world's second largest economy.

the idea that a country needs natural resources to be rich is a fallacy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)
    what natural resources does Japan have? It has the world's second largest economy.

the idea that a country needs natural resources to be rich is a fallacy.
    Yes but the general consensus is that the countries with the largest oil reserves are indeed rich. If you read properly, nobody said it is absolute necessary to have natural resources for a country to be rich. The question is why with such great oil reserves with the potential of having a booming economy is Iraq is under developed.
    But anyway, this isn't about natural resources in general, it's about oil, natural resources include a number of things, agriculture, forestry, wildlife etc. which don't really contribute as much to an economy as oil does.

Because for a decade and a half pre 2004 it was embargoed by the US, and after that the oil has been mined and exported by US companies, instead of being nationalised for the benefit of the Iraqis (so they only get a resource tax on the oil profits, instead of all the profits from it).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davy-Jones)
    Yes but the general consensus is that the countries with the largest oil reserves are indeed rich. If you read properly, nobody said it is absolute necessary to have natural resources for a country to be rich. The question is why with such great oil reserves with the potential of having a booming economy is Iraq is under developed.
    But anyway, this isn't about natural resources in general, it's about oil, natural resources include a number of things, agriculture, forestry, wildlife etc. which don't really contribute as much to an economy as oil does.
    "General" consensus according to whom? Saudi Arabia is not rich, and I'd imagine Canada oil production is only a small part of the economy. Iran is a rich country? lol... since when?

If anything, in most countries where oil production makes up a large part of the economy, those countries are poor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e-lover)
    America's objective was to get rid of Hussein, his dictatorship and the WMD's (turned ou there were none). They completed all the above objectives.

That's mission success to me.

The sectarian violence? Not a problem of ours. If Iraqi's want to kill their own, let them. As long as they don't kill any of ours. The violence isn't America or her allies problem. It's the Iraqi's.
    what u just said is utter ****. PLEASE explain to me why the US didnt leave after they caught saddam hussein and after getting rid of him. he got caught in 2003 so please don't tell me they shouldn't kill ur army. u r occupying the country O.O and u got saddam hussein, what the hell do u want next? u r right about it being a mission of success coz u stole so much ******* oil. they 5000 US soldiers who died are nothing compared to 1 million dead in iraq.
    your country as been in iraq for like 5 years? after getting saddam. u guys started stealing the oil.
    correct me if i am wrong

ReputationRep:
    what u just said is utter ****. PLEASE explain to me why the US didnt leave after they caught saddam hussein and after getting rid of him. he got caught in 2003 so please don't tell me they shouldn't kill ur army. u r occupying the country O.O and u got saddam hussein, what the hell do u want next? u r right about it being a mission of success coz u stole so much ******* oil. they 5000 US soldiers who died are nothing compared to 1 million dead in iraq.
    your country as been in iraq for like 5 years? after getting saddam. u guys started stealing the oil.
    correct me if i am wrong
    Do you not have the return button on your keyboard or something?

On your first point in your futile and pathetic rebuke, we stayed in Iraq because Al-Qaeda had gained quite a lot of ground and they were the bigger enemy. So we stayed to fight them. Suddenly, we had a new aim in Iraq that we had not anticipated and that was to resist any move by AQ to gain any ground.

Secondly, we are not occupying the country. US and UK soldiers are handing more and more land over to the Iraqi security forces. We couldn't do this immediately because the security forces initially had the skills of tribes people and now we have upgraded them to a respectable level of skill.

There is simply no evidence or any article of genuine documentation to even suggest that the Americans stole any Oil. We went there to free the Iraqi majority, the shia muslims, from one of the most tyrannical regimes of the 20th century. Furthermore, recently the IRAQI government chose who gets the private contracts to extract oil from Iraqi land, since this (and terrorism) are the two biggest exports of this now pathetic and raped nation. Raped by its previous regime.

I believe I have corrected you now good sir/ma'am.

ReputationRep:
    It fought three wars and Saddam used the money on his army and not on his Economy.

It also has relatively large population.

The wars have lowered its oil exports, so countries like UAE and Kuwait export more oil than Iraq yet they have small populations. Qatar has little oil but a lot of natural gas.

ReputationRep:
    to everyone saying "OMAHGOD AMeiriCa is steaLing Der Oilz". Please stop talking, you are disgracing yourself, and so far no one has provided any evidence to back up what you have said. Hell, you probably heard it on an internet forum and decided to repeat it to sound like you know what you are talking about. I would love to hear some THOUGHT OUT arguments in favor of your argument, but so far the only thing that has materialized has been constant insults to America with no foundation at all.

Now onto the topic. Iraq was relatively advanced in the 80s because the United States and many other countries were giving them weapons to fight off the Iranians (they deposed of the Shah, took hostages and obviously were considered enemies to the US and her allies).
    Now then, Iraq invaded Kuwait, and the *UN* formed a coalition to get them out. This was an international force, it was only led by the US because we have a massive army that was the undisputed champ after the ruskies fell. So *we* went in, destroyed their army and forced them back. Obviously, a MASSIVE military defeat is straining to anyone's economy (look at the allies and central powers after WWI). Furthermore, once Hussein decided to stop allowing *UN* inspectors to check to ensure that he stopped his WMD program, sanctions were put in place. MANY nations put sanctions against him, not just the U.S. Thus the Iraqi economy was starved out from that point.
    Furthermore, the US did not go into Iraq to steal oil, we went in, well for multiple reasons.

1. Spread democracy, while an idiotic idea, its still obviously a driving force. The 'democratic peace theory' states that we wouldn't go to war with them if they were a democracy, Bush followed that. Furthermore, we hoped to establish a similar domino effect. AKA Iraq, and Afghanistan are democracies, more countries will become democracies and thus we have more allies because of the aforementioned democratic peace theory.

Furthermore, the US government hoped to produce a victory over Al-Quida. By going into Iraq, the Al-Quida would be forced to engage us or they would look weak and powerless. Furthermore, the terrain in Iraq is far far better than the mountainous terrain in Afghanistan to have a conventional war. With all this in mind, we hoped to defeat them swiftly so that Bush could claim a victory of terrorism in time for the elections (invasion was 2003, elections were 2004). Plus, they needed to ensure that terrorism remained the most important topic in the election, so they could claim they were doing everything possible to win the war. Thus destroying the democrat's hope of victory. These are obviously not the only reasons, and i do not support the war. Nonetheless, its idiotic to simply spew out garbage claiming that the US went in to steal oil.

ReputationRep:
    Oil is very bad for economic and political development.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sirandrew)
    1. Spread democracy, while an idiotic idea, its still obviously a driving force. The 'democratic peace theory' states that we wouldn't go to war with them if they were a democracy, Bush followed that. Furthermore, we hoped to establish a similar domino effect. AKA Iraq, and Afghanistan are democracies, more countries will become democracies and thus we have more allies because of the aforementioned democratic peace theory.

A fine example of the west once again underestimating the irrationality of Middle Eastern politics...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForeverIsMyName)
    Quoted for truth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForeverIsMyName)
    Corruption and mis-management is, a valuable export isn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e-lover)
    The talk of the United States is so poor is amateurish and at best, a feeble, weak and hardly thoughtful conclusion to a very complicated issue.

If the United States is guilty of making Iraq poor then why was the state just as poor when Hussain was in power? The answer is because the US is not making Iraq poor, if anything when we pull out of Iraq, it will be ruled by its majority (shia muslims) and electoral and political pluralism is an iffinite amount higher then under Hussain's leadership.

There is a number of reasons why Iraq is poor. Education is one of them. But one of the most important reasons is because of the structure of the Iraq's social and economic system. The state is run by a minority elite who hold most of the wealth of the nation and, much worst, restrict any kind of social mobility as they hold a monopoly on social and public services.

Those two reasons are enough for now for discussion. Just simply calling the blame on the United States is laughable and juvenile.
    well you said that the us made very goodness for iraq and has improved iraq stuation WHY ??
    the us like arabian :rolleyes:
    maybe the us goverment like arabic eyes because they are black
    because of this GOODNESS (was made by us) the us deserve to steal iraq oil

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cultivated)
    It's America we're talking about. America can steal everything and still get away with it :yep:
    Shhh because you've bought this to everyones attention, you may be classified as brainwashing everyone, the FBI are monitoring you as we speak...:p:

(Original post by Flying Cookie)
    Why oh why. Charzino is right, the US are literally just "stealing" everything they can. They're evil and unethical to the bone. How can a country just literally steal, this is what you ask Davy-Jones? Well, let's see. You get troops, send them there to destroy the order and get the world to think Iraq is the evil one. Sounds like a good plan. Oh wait, this has already happened.
    what she said, where ever the world police is involved that is the USA, those countries will always be exploited, how do we really know whats going on behind the scenes, do you know, cos I certainly dont...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i-Citizen)
    Shhh because you've bought this to everyones attention, you may be classified as brainwashing everyone, the FBI are monitoring you as we speak...:p:
    Oh please, we all know that America is somehow responsible for/involved in every global issue we're facing.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.