Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do You Consider Yourself Part Of The Intelligentsia? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Call me a snob, but I only watch tv after 10pm generally. I may be the last person in the country who doesn't have digital, so Channel 5 is quite a poor reception. I don't watch any News bulletin except Newsnight and I'll flick through the channels in case there is a movie on. During the day, if I listen to the radio it'll be Classic FM, or 5Live if there is a specific reason. I'm pretty useless on music made in the last 10-15 years. I don't know what is going on in the soaps nor do I read celebrity magazines.

Frankly, I believe we live in a very strange culture built on materialistic values with people being brainwashed by consumerism (read JG Ballard's Kingdom Come). Surely all this shopping/drinking/drug-taking is a sign of boredom?

I feel that if I share these views with anyone they'll think I'm mad, which is why I keep it to myself.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a member of the illiteratae insomuch as yourself - nothing wrong with all that.

BTW - I just found out, someone called Michael Jackson apparently known as the King of Pop, died recently? Just after Edward Elgar too :cry: Who next?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mick Travis)
    Call me a snob, but I only watch tv after 10pm generally. I may be the last person in the country who doesn't have digital, so Channel 5 is quite a poor reception. I don't watch any News bulletin except Newsnight and I'll flick through the channels in case there is a movie on. During the day, if I listen to the radio it'll be Classic FM, or 5Live if there is a specific reason. I'm pretty useless on music made in the last 10-15 years. I don't know what is going on in the soaps nor do I read celebrity magazines.

Frankly, I believe we live in a very strange culture built on materialistic values with people being brainwashed by consumerism (read JG Ballard's Kingdom Come). Surely all this shopping/drinking/drug-taking is a sign of boredom?

I feel that if I share these views with anyone they'll think I'm mad, which is why I keep it to myself.
    you're not mad. just strange. you'll live

as for "surely shopping drinking drug taking" being a sign on boredom.... naah. just something fun to do. in the end its all about who had the most fun in life. that person is the winner

ReputationRep:
    different courses for different horses :dontknow:

big deal? doesn't mean everyone not like you is materialistic..

ReputationRep:
    :no:
    Radio 3 is where it's at :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    **** yeah if ur on TSR an say ur not cleva den u r blates lyin lol

ReputationRep:
    You need to join the Facebook group "The Chap" and "Revival of Gentlemanly Behaviour"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spacecam)
    I'm a member of the illiteratae insomuch as yourself - nothing wrong with all that.

BTW - I just found out, someone called Michael Jackson apparently known as the King of Pop, died recently? Just after Edward Elgar too :cry: Who next?
    Funnily enough I probably prefer Jackson to Elgar.

Anyway, I actually found out about Jackson's death quite early. They reported him taken to hospital on Newsnight and it pretty clear he was a gonna an hour later. And of course there's going to be a lot of fuss about the death of someone like that. He was the biggest star in the world. I'm more concerned with the endless creation of new celebrities who are famous only for appearing on Reality programmes and have no real talent.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone considering themselves part of the "intelligentsia" are probably just extremely full of themselves. It's like asking, are you cool? No one who's really cool would ever think of themselves as "cool". They just are. If you go on about how "cool" you are, then it looks like you're just trying too hard... and that's not cool. If you say you're part of the "intelligentsia", well, same thing...

ReputationRep:
    You need to join the Facebook group "The Chap" and "Revival of Gentlemanly Behaviour"
    I can't believe you negged me. The first cut is the deepest, Spacecam.

ReputationRep:

Are you asking people the question in the thread title or just making a statement about your lifestyle?
    I really don't know what your point is and I have no idea what I'm supposed to say in response...

All I would say is anyone Who Starts Every Word With A Capital Letter (i.e. the thread title) clearly isn't that intelligent :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Irrelevance)
    I can't believe you negged me. The first cut is the deepest, Spacecam.
    How dare you type as you did - I was utterly shocked

:hugs: I shall make it up to you

:love:

ReputationRep:
    I'm on TSR, so of course I am

ReputationRep:
    How dare you type as you did - I was utterly shocked

:hugs: I shall make it up to you

:love:
    You know full well my typing is only that bad for piss take purposes.

:talkhand:

It's too late to apologise, it's too late.

ReputationRep:
    You know full well my typing is only that bad for piss take purposes.

It's too late to apologise, it's too late.
    I didn't know! I was flicking through the thread quite literally. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student2806)
    Are you asking people the question in the thread title or just making a statement about your lifestyle?
    I really don't know what your point is and I have no idea what I'm supposed to say in response...

All I would say is anyone Who Starts Every Word With A Capital Letter (i.e. the thread title) clearly isn't that intelligent :p:
    Barring "Of" and "The", I'd capitalise every word in a title, such is the accepted practice.

OP, fair play. If that's what you like, stick to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student2806)

LOL yeah, I mean I'm no grammar freak, but that really winds me up, it's like some pikey is trying to act smart but in doing so looks stupider than he would of originally.

Wouldn't call the OP a social loser or any kinda outcast, just different tastes. Everyone is different, the media does brainwash people yeah, but it's not destroying society so no harm done.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't know! I was flicking through the thread quite literally. :mad:
    I can't think of any other lyrics which can be subtly used in response to this. Oh wait, here's one:

I HATE. YOU SO MUCH RIGHT NOW. AAAAAAAAAAAARGH.

On a serious note, it's alright. I assumed you were skimming anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I can't think of any other lyrics which can be subtly used in response to this. Oh wait, here's one:

I HATE. YOU SO MUCH RIGHT NOW. AAAAAAAAAAAARGH.

On a serious note, it's alright. I assumed you were skimming anyway.
    :cry:

My obvious yet secret affection must be slightly more obvious than I thought

ReputationRep:

Consumerism is awesome. You're not a part of an intelligensia, you're just a bit of a prat.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.