The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Spacecam
:cry:

My obvious yet secret affection must be slightly more obvious than I thought

It didn't help you "bumping" into me every time I bent over to tie my shoelaces. :huff:
Sounds a bit pompous to me.
Reply 22
Irrelevance
It didn't help you "bumping" into me every time I bent over to tie my shoelaces.

I thought you were the one looking up at me at a convenient height whilst tying your laces...
Reply 23
You must be a complete moron, if you think that a total ignorance of contemporary culture makes you somehow superior
Spacecam
I thought you were the one looking up at me at a convenient height whilst tying your laces...

That's because somebody was thrusting at my head and I thought it'd be a good idea to check who.
imomo16

Radio 3 is where it's at

Absolutely. They play the whole of a symphony, not just the pretty bit that Doreen in Essex wants to hear.
Welcome to the Devil's playground.
Rejecting popular culture does not make you one of the "intelligentsia". The true definition would be an educated and intellectual person, and I would consider an education in popular culture as important as an education in "high culture".
Mick Travis
Call me a snob, but I only watch tv after 10pm generally. I may be the last person in the country who doesn't have digital, so Channel 5 is quite a poor reception. I don't watch any News bulletin except Newsnight and I'll flick through the channels in case there is a movie on. During the day, if I listen to the radio it'll be Classic FM, or 5Live if there is a specific reason. I'm pretty useless on music made in the last 10-15 years. I don't know what is going on in the soaps nor do I read celebrity magazines.

Frankly, I believe we live in a very strange culture built on materialistic values with people being brainwashed by consumerism (read JG Ballard's Kingdom Come). Surely all this shopping/drinking/drug-taking is a sign of boredom?

I feel that if I share these views with anyone they'll think I'm mad, which is why I keep it to myself.

Sounds more like someone trying to look like an "intellectual" through having "alternative" views and tastes, copying it from real intellectuals.

ITT: Pretentiousness. Members of the "intelligentsia" you speak of shouldn't have to feign marks of intelligence to be intelligent, or indeed flaunt their supposed mental ability with manufactured, half-baked views. You got me at "read JG Ballard's Kingdom Come". You're having a laugh, OP.

:laugh:
Liquidus Zeromus
ITT: Pretentiousness. Members of the "intelligentsia" you speak of shouldn't have to feign marks of intelligence to be intelligent, or indeed flaunt their supposed mental ability with manufactured, half-baked views. You got me at "read JG Ballard's Kingdom Come". You're having a laugh, OP.

Winner.
Reply 30
What exactly is the point of this post? Would you like a medal for your apparent intellectual achievements(... which appear to be solely refraining from absorbing yourself in trashy modern culture...)?

Reeks of pseudo- intellectual masturbation, which you have scarcely attempted to veil.

Mick Travis
Surely all this shopping/drinking/drug-taking is a sign of boredom?
Whereas posting on this forum clearly isn't...
I'm listening to the BBC News "3 Minute Countdown" theme remixed into a club anthem.

What does that make me?
luls, no mate.
G50
Anyone considering themselves part of the "intelligentsia" are probably just extremely full of themselves. It's like asking, are you cool? No one who's really cool would ever think of themselves as "cool". They just are. If you go on about how "cool" you are, then it looks like you're just trying too hard... and that's not cool. If you say you're part of the "intelligentsia", well, same thing...

Your point is very similar to a quote from the wonderful Thatcher:

"Being powerful is like being a lady, if you have to tell people you are, you aren't".
top_marx91
What exactly is the point of this post? Would you like a medal for your apparent intellectual achievements(... which appear to be solely refraining from absorbing yourself in trashy modern culture...)?

Reeks of pseudo- intellectual masturbation, which you have scarcely attempted to veil.

Whereas posting on this forum clearly isn't...

:rofl:

You're intelligent because you're soooo alternative.... just like all the other muppets like you who try to outdo each other by mimicking the real deal.
FyreFight
I'm listening to the BBC News "3 Minute Countdown" theme remixed into a club anthem.

What does that make me?

A mega ultra super GENIUS! :borat:
Reply 36
Mick Travis
Call me a snob, but I only watch tv after 10pm generally. I may be the last person in the country who doesn't have digital, so Channel 5 is quite a poor reception. I don't watch any News bulletin except Newsnight and I'll flick through the channels in case there is a movie on. During the day, if I listen to the radio it'll be Classic FM, or 5Live if there is a specific reason. I'm pretty useless on music made in the last 10-15 years. I don't know what is going on in the soaps nor do I read celebrity magazines.

Frankly, I believe we live in a very strange culture built on materialistic values with people being brainwashed by consumerism (read JG Ballard's Kingdom Come). Surely all this shopping/drinking/drug-taking is a sign of boredom?
as smalltownboy pointed out, you seem to be confusing different concepts...intelligentsia refers to the intellectual elite, while you are talking about rejecting popular culture -- the two concepts are far from synonymous.
OP sounds like a freaking nan child, as Russell Brand calls them. 'shall i put a drop of Sherry in the trifle nan......... it would be rude not too...ewww lets make it 2 drops'

Basically kids brought up by their grandparents and thus turns them into social outcast and a jolly boy.
Mick Travis

I feel that if I share these views with anyone they'll think I'm mad, which is why I keep it to myself.

I don't understand. There's no relation between your post and the title of thread. :confused: You may as well have told us your idea of a perfect sunday afternoon and your favourite colour while you're at it.

To answer the question of the thread: No. I'm intelligent but i'd rather criticise the intelligensia than be a part of it. :cute:
FyreFight

What does that make me?

smelly. :yes:

Latest

Trending

Trending