Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do You Consider Yourself Part Of The Intelligentsia? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Friends is on E4 at 5. Mock the Week comes on at 9. I watch a lot of TV before 10.

So I guess I'm not part of the 'Intelligentsia'. Although it doesn't look like people who are apparently members have much fun.

ReputationRep:
    Is that like the 'illuminati'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Is that like the 'illuminati'?
    There's a handshake :getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by interrobang)
    There's a handshake :getmecoat:
    A genital handshake.

ReputationRep:
    I forgot Mock The Week! I watch that one.

As for every letter being a capital in the thread title - I remember being taught in school to start every word with a capital letter if it was a heading.

I don't think being part of the intelligentsia means rejecting all mainstream culture, but it does require someone to be a bit different. TBH I'm just a bit curious about it and would like to know what qualifies one to be a member.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mick Travis)
    As for every letter being a capital in the thread title - I remember being taught in school to start every word with a capital letter if it was a heading.
    Apart from articles, coordinate conjunctions, short prepositions and the word "to" in an infinitive, of course. But you knew that...

ReputationRep:
    Call me a snob, but I only watch tv after 10pm generally. I may be the last person in the country who doesn't have digital, so Channel 5 is quite a poor reception. I don't watch any News bulletin except Newsnight and I'll flick through the channels in case there is a movie on. During the day, if I listen to the radio it'll be Classic FM, or 5Live if there is a specific reason. I'm pretty useless on music made in the last 10-15 years. I don't know what is going on in the soaps nor do I read celebrity magazines.

Frankly, I believe we live in a very strange culture built on materialistic values with people being brainwashed by consumerism (read JG Ballard's Kingdom Come). Surely all this shopping/drinking/drug-taking is a sign of boredom?

I feel that if I share these views with anyone they'll think I'm mad, which is why I keep it to myself.
    It isn't really a sign of boredom - people are just embracing the new features technology has to offer. It isn't a new thing, people have always craved technology.

I don't watch soaps or read magazines but how can you not be interested in the world around you? With what is going on? Why not take advantage of all the new wonders that you have been blessed with given your placing on Earth at this particularly revolutionary time in technology?

And people have been taking drugs for thousands of years. It's only became big in the UK since the late 50's - it is too much a generalisation to day it's down to boredom.

ReputationRep:
    Call me a snob, but I only watch tv after 10pm generally. I may be the last person in the country who doesn't have digital, so Channel 5 is quite a poor reception. I don't watch any News bulletin except Newsnight and I'll flick through the channels in case there is a movie on. During the day, if I listen to the radio it'll be Classic FM, or 5Live if there is a specific reason. I'm pretty useless on music made in the last 10-15 years. I don't know what is going on in the soaps nor do I read celebrity magazines.

Frankly, I believe we live in a very strange culture built on materialistic values with people being brainwashed by consumerism (read JG Ballard's Kingdom Come). Surely all this shopping/drinking/drug-taking is a sign of boredom?

I feel that if I share these views with anyone they'll think I'm mad, which is why I keep it to myself.
    It's beyond me to take a guess at what this association of individuals known as the "Intelligentsia" are (if I were to take a wild stab in the dark I'd presume they were not dissimilar to the Illuminati) but given that the word itself is derived from the word 'intelligent' it would surprise me if members of this group are characterised by narrow cultural interests and a lack of knowledge about the modern world.

Furthermore I would be surprised if Classic FM was the chosen radio station of such a distinguished group given that it lacks variety to almost the same extent as Heart FM and very regularly features presenters using 'smooth' voices so exaggerated that I'm still undecided as to whether they are parodies of themselves.

EDIT: I see my Illuminati gag has already been used, though hopefully forgiving readers can overlook this.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.