Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Tancredo: Threaten to bomb Muslim holy sites in retaliation watch

ReputationRep:
    http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...y-sites-first/

The article is a bit old but it is what it is. If Islamic terrorists were to nuke/threaten to nuke US cities a possible course of action would be to threaten to bomb the Islamic holy cities of Mecca and Medina.

Would you agree with this if US cities were subjected to Nuclear attacks from Islamic extremists or not?

What would be the effects of this for Muslims around the world and the US itself?

ReputationRep:
    If the US were actually nuked I would consider that a fairly limp response.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    What a ridiculous idea. That's like retaliating against the IRA by bombing Dublin.

ReputationRep:
    Hit the hajjis where it hurts!

ReputationRep:
    Wow what a way to start world war 3, a few thousand Muslims out of the hundreds of millions in the world launch/support an attack so in retaliation we take action against the lot of them? What if catholic anti-abortionists continue to attack abortion clinics should we napalm the Vatican and execute the pope?

I see where we went wrong with the IRA now, instead of arresting its members and cutting off its funding we should've just carpet bombed everything south of the Northern Ireland border.

Idiotic logic, is full of idiocy.

ReputationRep:
    This thread is going to be fun

ReputationRep:
    That's like me bombing the Daily Mail main building for insulting my intelligence

actually, it's not..but it just sounds really cool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    Wow what a way to start world war 3, a few thousand Muslims out of the hundreds of millions in the world launch/support an attack so in retaliation we take action against the lot of them? What if catholic anti-abortionists continue to attack abortion clinics should we napalm the Vatican and execute the pope?

I see where we went wrong with the IRA now, instead of arresting its members and cutting off its funding we should've just carpet bombed everything south of the Northern Ireland border.

Idiotic logic, is full of idiocy.

It´s not actually idiotic.
    If the USSR had nuked American cities in the cold war, what do you think the USA would have done?

ReputationRep:
    Kill 'em all and let God sort it out.

Spoiler:
    Show
    (As the interwebz makes it difficult to tell whether people are being serious, I feel obliged to say that I'm not)

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps we should leave it as an open threat if they attack us at all. That way Muslims will actually bother to stop extremism rather than supporting it financially or ideologically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    Perhaps we should leave it as an open threat if they attack us at all. That way Muslims will actually bother to stop extremism rather than supporting it financially or ideologically.
    lol

not every muslim is out to get you, dont worry your little xenophobic head about it, they kill fellow muslims too

ReputationRep:
    What idiots like Tom Tancredo do not realise is that fundamentalist leaders like Bin Laden want us to threaten and bomb Mecca. One bullet fired at the holiest of holies would have the whole Islamic world up in arms against the West. Goodbye civilisation as we know it.

It is the same as invading Afghanistan and Iraq and helping and supplying Isreal. We are playing into Osama's/Hamas/Saddams hands. (although i suppose the correct phrase for saddam would be 'played' :p:)

ReputationRep:
    If Mecca/Medina is nuked, that's it i'm going to war.

ReputationRep:
    Ya a few retarded idiots try and nuke the US, the US responds by bombing the most holy places they can killing thousands of innocents. How do you think the other 1.5 billion muslims are going react?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AntiMonarchist)
    It´s not actually idiotic.
    If the USSR had nuked American cities in the cold war, what do you think the USA would have done?
    Of course it's idiotic, it's a completely different situation as it's not a war between two opposing states. Terrorists don't have borders nor do they care what happens to innocent people, bombing Mecca wouldn't make Osama Bin Laden bat an eyelid if anything America reacting in such a way would play into his hands and bolster the number of fighters he has by radicalising more people. Bombing Mecca is not a deterrent and it's a sure fire way to loose any support we get from the governments of Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Yemen, Kuwait and Oman.

Extremists like Tom Tancredo are no better than Bin Laden or Shamil Basayev.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sundous)
    lol

not every muslim is out to get you, dont worry your little xenophobic head about it, they kill fellow muslims too
    I know full well that they aren't, but I think the vast majority are guilty of negligence that's for sure. These people live in your communities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liverpool F.C.™)
    If Mecca/Medina is nuked, that's it i'm going to war.
    I'm not condoning the bombing but I think a threat would be sufficient enough. Something has to be done about terrorism before more innocents are killed. We can't allow another 9/11 to happen.

ReputationRep:
    Well. That would be bad. And to those who don't/can't understand the possible effect of doing such a thing (and are comparing it to just blowing up 'dublin for the IRA' or whatever) I suggest you rethink the whole thing! I can safely say that the vast majority of muslims - practicing or not - would be perfectly happy with starting a full-scale war.

Lmao. Just thinking about the possibility of that happening is crazy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    Of course it's idiotic, it's a completely different situation as it's not a war between two opposing states. Terrorists don't have borders nor do they care what happens to innocent people, bombing Mecca wouldn't make Osama Bin Laden bat an eyelid if anything America reacting in such a way would play into his hands and bolster the number of fighters he has by radicalising more people. Bombing Mecca is not a deterrent and it's a sure fire way to loose any support we get from the governments of Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Yemen, Kuwait and Oman.

Extremists like Tom Tancredo are no better than Bin Laden or Shamil Basayev.

So a millions of people in Russia would have deserved to be nuked because they belong to the same state?

ReputationRep:
    If Mecca was reduced to a radioactive glass crater it would fundamentally change Islam. How could you pray towards it anymore, and how could you believe that your omnipotent god would allow it to happen?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.