Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Constantly hampered from progress by being unsure of what I want from life/ambitions watch

ReputationRep:
    It's just to feel comfortable in going on, I need a clear idea of what to achieve. This manifests itself in the form of a virtual OCD. I obsess consistently making mental lists of what my priorities are, but then get overwhelmed by so many different possibilities and going through them all over and over. I never get wher eI'm going as it were. Also there are other ambitions besides career, flat of my own, perhaps moving, and girlfriend, fun times etc, but I regret sometimes my obsessiveness as I do miss out on social stuff, but then the grass is always greener and sometimes I don't enjoy that so much.:confused:
    Any strategies fro breaking things down and making progress more manageable? Am I expecting too much, do I need to chill? Should I have faith in relationships or am I expecting too much of them etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chillaxer)
    It's just to feel comfortable in going on, I need a clear idea of what to achieve. This manifests itself in the form of a virtual OCD. I obsess consistently making mental lists of what my priorities are, but then get overwhelmed by so many different possibilities and going through them all over and over. I never get wher eI'm going as it were. Also there are other ambitions besides career, flat of my own, perhaps moving, and girlfriend, fun times etc, but I regret sometimes my obsessiveness as I do miss out on social stuff, but then the grass is always greener and sometimes I don't enjoy that so much.:confused:
    Any strategies fro breaking things down and making progress more manageable? Am I expecting too much, do I need to chill? Should I have faith in relationships or am I expecting too much of them etc?

Yes. Have a break, have a w...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noggins)
    Yes. Have a break, have a w...
    Was a serious q really.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone...it's a practical problem

ReputationRep:
    Anyone...it's a practical problem
    I have a similar problem. I always think the grass is greener on the other side. I'm constantly pushing myself to do things that are hard to achieve and I don't usually enjoy it anyway.

Again I have priority issues with the Army, RAF, girlfriend, life goals etc. I want to do a tour of Afghanistan but my relationship would end from what I gather if I go, but I really want to go so what am I supposed to do. I also have loads of different options which all depend on inter-linked possibilities. If this happens I'll do that type thing.

Nightmare.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Q_M)
    I have a similar problem. I always think the grass is greener on the other side. I'm constantly pushing myself to do things that are hard to achieve and I don't usually enjoy it anyway.

Again I have priority issues with the Army, RAF, girlfriend, life goals etc. I want to do a tour of Afghanistan but my relationship would end from what I gather if I go, but I really want to go so what am I supposed to do. I also have loads of different options which all depend on inter-linked possibilities. If this happens I'll do that type thing.

Nightmare.
    Lennon said 'life is what happens to you whilst making other plans'.
    Anyway, bummer, but have you devised any solutions?

ReputationRep:

Try rubbing chilli powder around your anus.

ReputationRep:
    Lennon said 'life is what happens to you whilst making other plans'.
    Anyway, bummer, but have you devised any solutions?
    Going to uni in september to do architecture stuff, whilst trying to join the RAF....but I'm in the TA now and have options there.

I think...if I don't get in the RAF...I'm going to stay in the Army and do a tour with them at some point to get it out of my system and leave it at that.

ReputationRep:
    Have a break...have a kik kat? im kidding (is that even spelt right?),
    maybe take a holiday, or even better, do some hard ass expedition, i saw walking on thin ice on bbc yesterday, maybe do something like that, well not that crazy to start with, but like a hard task. ITs this kindofff inspiration that really *clicks* in your head when the going gets tough, it clears your mind and body.
    Maybe, train for a marathon? Or travel and camp and hike for a week with a best friend. Or just go somewhere remote, lie there and relax and try to forget everything.
    Its good that your so driven, remember, its not a bad thing, you just need to channel it in the right direction, take it one step at a time.

Good luck! =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Johnny Luk)
    Or just go somewhere remote, lie there and relax and try to forget everything.
    )
    Exercise may help with relaxation, but focus and direction is bloody hard to find. I did the remote place thing, nice but was the same when I got back.

ReputationRep:
    Gosh you sound just like me......seeing as I haven't figured it out yet, only advice I can give is focus on completing/working towards your goals 1 at a time

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.