Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I started a new part-time job at Waitrose about a month ago. My first pay slip came in on the 24th July 2009.

I was paid £465.95 for the month, but was taxed £93.00, so only received £372.95.

Upon expection of my payslip, my Tax Code is "BR Non Cumul."

Does anyone know anything about this, and whether or not I have been overtaxed, and if I'm even eligible for taxing?

ReputationRep:
    Talk to your boss. I had to fill in a form when I first started working (think it's a P45, but I can't actually remember) to stop getting tax taken off, then once it had all gone through, I got the tax gradually paid back into my account.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, thanks! I'm looking to take it up with personnel who might tell me which forms to fill out etc..

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what your monthly wage (at the age of 18) has to be, to pay tax? I heard it's about £430?

ReputationRep:
    You cannot expect the tax office to know your circumstances. It's up to you to ring the neccessary regional tax office quoting the stores tax number or else fill in the forms (I doubt a p45 is the one). You're lucky not be emergency taxed (although that may be..since it's non-accumalative?) Either way, it'll be paid back.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I am the same, though I waiting until next year to claim it back, that way I won't spend it and will get a nice cheque in May.

ReputationRep:
    Basic Rate, you'll need to fill in a tax form to change your tax code so you don't get taxed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BradQPR)
    Okay, thanks! I'm looking to take it up with personnel who might tell me which forms to fill out etc..

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what your weekly wage (at the age of 18) has to be, to pay tax? I heard it's about £430?
    Is it not something like four thousand a year

ReputationRep:
    its about £110 per week afaik

ReputationRep:
    Unless you really need the money, I'd let it accumulate until the end of the tax year, then get a nice big amount.

ReputationRep:
    I can earn up to £6350 a year (or something like that) before I'm taxed, and I'm a uni student. I'd have thought it's fairly universal.

Try talking to your tax office about this, as Stars said, tax offices don't just 'know' this - you have to let them know.
    The other thing is that if you have two part-time jobs as a student/earning under x amount, they'll tax you on one.

Are you a student? You may need either the P38 (if it's a summer job) or P46 (if it's a new employee without a current tax code - i.e. if it's your first job) form, which you can get from your tax office or possibly from your manager.

Speak to your manager before you speak to the tax office, just to check that they can't sort it, but if not, speak to your tax office.
    They've always been very helpful when I've spoken to them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BradQPR)
    Out of curiosity, does anyone know what your weekly wage (at the age of 18) has to be, to pay tax? I heard it's about £430?
    For 2008-09 it was £6,035, for 09-10 its £6,475 per year (= about £125 a week)

From here: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/rates/it.htm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ali_)
    For 2008-09 it was £6,035, for 09-10 its £6,475 per year (= about £125 a week)

From here: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/rates/it.htm
    Damn. So does that mean anything above that I don't get? I've been working my arse of the past two weeks, literally, and I need every penny I can get....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fn_101)
    Damn. So does that mean anything above that I don't get? I've been working my arse of the past two weeks, literally, and I need every penny I can get....
    It means that any money you earn above the personal allowance is taxable.

ReputationRep:
    If you are only working during the holidays you should fill in a P38(s) form.

You are currently being taxed at the Basic Rate, which means 20% of your total earnings. Very steep.

ReputationRep:
    Is this national insurance or tax. Tax you earn upto a certain amount each year then start getting taxed. but national insurance you earn upto a one off amount then constantly get national insurance deductions.

But as you just joined its probably emergency tax, which you will get back.

ReputationRep:
    I had EXACTLY the same problem (except I've got a summer job at Somerfield)

You need to fill in a P38 (S) and you will get the tax back on your next payslip (I handed mine in today at work) - see here for more details http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/students/work...tudent_8_1.htm

If that doesn't help then look at www.e4s.co.uk/docs/student-tax - it explains it even more clearly (though the revenue isn't bad)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by truthandtragedy)
    Talk to your boss. I had to fill in a form when I first started working (think it's a P45, but I can't actually remember) to stop getting tax taken off, then once it had all gone through, I got the tax gradually paid back into my account.
    P38S - P45 is what you get when you leave employment .

ReputationRep:
    The P38 is only for summer employment, though.

It's the P46 for somebody without a P45, to let the tax office know your situation.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.