Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Currently looking for a new car (not new new just new for me :p: ) been looking at fiesta s's (old shape) but they seem to be really hard to find at the moment compared from when I looked a few month ago

I'd prefer a hatch but wouldn't mind a saloon, sporty looking, something reliable, nothing with sky high mileage, bigger engine than my current 1.2, I've got about 10 grand with the trade in.

Any suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    A Fiesta ST /1.6 would fit perfectly, a newer hatch will probberly be better than an older saloon in terms of reliabilty.
    You can probs find one from a main dealer for 10k

ReputationRep:
    I'm going test driving an ST sometime this week hopefully, they're not too bad on the insurance but not too keen on the ones with stripes though lol

ReputationRep:
    If you want to save some money what about a Focus ST170. Really nice cars and practically equal in performance to the ST Fiesta. Just older and cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    £10K and you want a hatch Sad days So, so many great cars you can buy with £10K...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Porscha!)
    £10K and you want a hatch Sad days So, so many great cars you can buy with £10K...
    Hatches can be great! :p:

In other news.. my 205 will have cost about 10 grand when its back on the road.. *whistles* :p:

ReputationRep:
    hehe, you re-commissioning it?

Not the type the OP is considering, good hot hatches stopped being made in the mid-90's, modern ones are faaaaaar too lardy to be in the same spirit as a 205GTi etc.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed.
    Well, depends on the hatch... If it was a Jensen Interceptor then i'd tell you you were talking out of your arse!!!

If I had 10 grand i'd be looking at either a '66 Mustang coupe, a Triumph TR6, Jensen Interceptor, an MGC GT or a Triumph GT6.

ReputationRep:

Not the type the OP is considering, good hot hatches stopped being made in the mid-90's, modern ones are faaaaaar too lardy to be in the same spirit as a 205GTi etc.
    I dunno, agree on the whole, but as much as I'm not a fan of hatches, I'd sooner have a CTR over most mid 90's hatches, Glanza Tubbys aside.. Not many retain that go-kart feel that said.. ALTHOUGH the 182 clios are pretty back to basics thinking about it..

ReputationRep:

Indeed, maybe not this year, but im going to order all the parts and put it into storage for a little while.
    I figured in 10 years or so Id regret getting rid of it alot more than I would regret crashing it and spending a bit more money on it

So shes going to become a pampered (slightly modified maybe) concourse car

True enough, they dont make em like they used to :p: Although I would maybe put up with some of the new renault hot hatches, or a new RS.. maybe..

ReputationRep:
    What do you suggest then? I'm open to none hatch options

Your car is amazing but I have no mechanical knowledge at all so classic/old cars are out of the question

ReputationRep:
    Theres so much time to learn

Modern stuff - Mercedes SL, Jaguar XK8, TVR Chimaera
    80's chic - UR Quattro, E30 M3, TVR Wedge
    70's cool - MGB V8 conversion, TR6, MGC

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coni)
    What do you suggest then? I'm open to none hatch options

Your car is amazing but I have no mechanical knowledge at all so classic/old cars are out of the question
    That's what blokes are for!

Although having said that... I don't mind admitting I was practically nursing a semi a couple of weekends back when she (Porscha!) was changing my race wheels for road wheels at the track. ...Right up to the point I noticed the race wheel was nearly off the hub and the car was still sat on the deck... but I shan't hold that against her.

In any case, there's nothing sexyer than a girl getting dirty with an old car to my mind, lol!

In all seriousness, Porscha!'s car is new enough not to need stupid amounts of maintainence every week anyway.
    By the mid 80's a lot of the maintainence you associate with a classic had been engineered out.
    Bar the odd oil change, I don't see why anyone couldn't run something like a 944 every day no matter how mechanically disenclined.

ReputationRep:
    I end up thinking it every time someone starts one of these threads, but what can you afford in terms of running the thing op? It's all well and good suggesting cars but for what little we know about what you really have to spend on it and what you're after it's a bit stab in the dark.. for all we know you're a full time student, which will largely rule out the TVR's and the like :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    We all have numpty moments, some just tend to have ones of absolute numptyness now and then ROFL!!

Whooooops LOL!

World would be a duller place without blonde moments

Porscha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaw)
    I end up thinking it every time someone starts one of these threads, but what can you afford in terms of running the thing op? It's all well and good suggesting cars but for what little we know about what you really have to spend on it and what you're after it's a bit stab in the dark.. for all we know you're a full time student, which will largely rule out the TVR's and the like :laugh:
    TVR Wedge - good one for £4.5K which leaves £5.5K for running costs

Everyones a winner, oh indeedy they are

Or a '44, up to £3K for a good one, leave £7K to run it, drive it, track it and enjoy every moment of it!

ReputationRep:
    lol aww!

Nic, this is is a trolley jack. Make friends with it.
    They make the car go up and down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    That's what blokes are for!

Although having said that... I don't mind admitting I was practically nursing a semi a couple of weekends back when she (Porscha!) was changing my race wheels for road wheels at the track. ...Right up to the point I noticed the race wheel was nearly off the hub and the car was still sat on the deck... but I shan't hold that against her.

In any case, there's nothing sexyer than a girl getting dirty with an old car to my mind, lol!

In all seriousness, Porscha!'s car is new enough not to need stupid amounts of maintainence every week anyway.
    By the mid 80's a lot of the maintainence you associate with a classic had been engineered out.
    Bar the odd oil change, I don't see why anyone couldn't run something like a 944 every day no matter how mechanically disenclined.
    You trying to suggest theres some reason I drive a '44 other than pure love for it? (only kidding you)

As for old stuff I've owned older than you, ner, ner, ner, ner, ner :p:

ReputationRep:
    Older? Yes.
    Better? No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    lol aww!

Nic, this is is a trolley jack. Make friends with it.
    They make the car go up and down.

Hello my new friend the trolley jack :p:

:woo:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.