Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering how many people each year take further maths, and if they take it through the further maths network, what exactly happens? Where do they have their lessons? How many people are in these lessons?

I teach it myself. Generally, at my school everyone else who does it is taught in a class of about 1-3 students.

ReputationRep:
    My school doesn't personally teach it, but apparantly the further maths network brings people from other schools together, do you know how many people there would be in one further maths class taught through the network?

ReputationRep:
    I taught myself, i was part of the further maths network but i never actually went anywhere. I think they meet up at certain times during the year for revision. I mainly just asked for help on asknrich when stuck, but here would be just as good.

ReputationRep:
    My school enter a fair number of people for further maths. In my year there are around 50 odd further mathematicians (roughly one third of our entire year perhaps), with four sets for pure lessons and three sets for applied lessons (more pure sets as some people do the 'A-level Pure Mathematics' qualification), with around 15 people in each set roughly. There used to be a few more, but they dropped out earlier in the year, as they thought they couldn't cope with the course (although I imagine they could). We have sixteen 40-minute periods a week, eight for pure and eight for applied.

ReputationRep:
    In 2008 in England 6235 male and 2766 female students completed futher maths A level.
    http://www.jcq.org.uk/attachments/pu...lts%202008.pdf

My guess is that most of them study in their own school/college, but that's my experience living in an area where there are a lot of grammar schools with strong maths departments and lots of FM students.

FMN student guide here:
    http://www.fmnetwork.org.uk/student_area/guide.php

ReputationRep:
    We had 4 people including me do it...the good thing is that the teachers can do 1 to 1 tuition if you struggle

ReputationRep:
    I had about 9 people in my further maths class and we had our classes split between 2 teachers. It meant the teaching was really personal so we had loads of help if we needed it

ReputationRep:
    My school has quite alot doing it. About 15 for AS which went down to about 8 for A2. The FMNetwork is very helpful, make sure you go to any of the revision days that are available!

ReputationRep:
    my school started off with 14 at the beggining of AS, but only 2 people completed it, including me. the edexcel modules i find are really easy to self teach, especially with those new books they have.

ReputationRep:
    I did AS FM on my own but there was either 7 or 8 people in the FM class - a couple of them were A2 people who will be off to uni, and I'll be joining the class for A2 so I'm guessing the A2 FM class will have 4-6 people taking into account the people off to uni/ people dropping it at A2.

Apparently there's going to be a higher number in the AS FM class next year though (both new students and second years taking AS FM in their second year). In comparison around 60 or so people took AS single maths this year.

ReputationRep:
    FM network is good. But, they have changed the name according to website.

ReputationRep:
    How hard would it be to teach myself A2 further maths alongside A2 Maths, A2 Physics, A2 Biology and AS Further Maths.

Would I struggle teaching myself the A2 modules having not done the AS modules yet or can I teach myself say D2 when im learning D1 at school, same with S2 and FP2?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by JackPearson)
    How hard would it be to teach myself A2 further maths alongside A2 Maths, A2 Physics, A2 Biology and AS Further Maths.

Would I struggle teaching myself the A2 modules having not done the AS modules yet or can I teach myself say D2 when im learning D1 at school, same with S2 and FP2?
    Do you think you did well at AS Maths? A grades in all 3 modules?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    Do you think you did well at AS Maths? A grades in all 3 modules?
    Yeah im certain that I did, well I did in C1 in January and C2 and M1 both went well.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Yeah im certain that I did, well I did in C1 in January and C2 and M1 both went well.
    Should be possible then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    Should be possible then.
    Ok thanks, how much does FP2 rely on FP1?

ReputationRep:
    FP1 is pretty much vital for FP2but its not a hard module :yy:

As far as using the Further maths network, you have your lesson on an online classroom which is an interactive whiteboard/powerpoint/ whatever you want on the teachers pc. and they hall have mics and stuff and yo can talk to each other and its quite good.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Ok thanks, how much does FP2 rely on FP1?
    Which specification? If OCR, then not at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    Which specification? If OCR, then not at all.
    OCR (Mei).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.