Turn on thread page Beta

Strange blood type result.... watch

ReputationRep:
    So I'm not particularly au fait with blood typing. All I know is that my mum was AB- and my dad is B+. Both my sister is B+ and my brother is AB- as well.

So I had my blood taken for donating and I got a letter through today saying my blood type is O+.

I thought O was recessive when it came to passing it down? Pretty damned sure that both my parents are who they say they are....bit confused.

ReputationRep:
    I'm being lazy not looking up a more reliable source but at least it's something - I don't really understand blood groups!

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/ate/child...th/203121.html

ReputationRep:
    It's recessive which means one in 4 children will have O+ blood type if both parents are carriers of the O+ gene afaik.

O+ is a pretty common one so it's quite likely that someone in your family was a carrier, so don't panic. There was no milkman :P
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    AB + B can only create A, B and AB. For you to be O your parents must be either A & A, A & B, A & O, B & B, B & O or O & O. It is impossible for AB & B to ever make O.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sprockette)
    I'm being lazy not looking up a more reliable source but at least it's something - I don't really understand blood groups!

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/ate/child...th/203121.html
    So that basically says in quite rare circumstances... I'm NOT the milkman's daughter.

ReputationRep:
    both your parents will be carriers of the O+ allele (recessive so not expressed in the phenotype)

EDIT: ...i think ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Stranger in Moscow)
    There was no milkman :P
    I love how you wrote that without me doing it first!

I'm a bit sad though, my mum's blood type was super rare and I wanted to have it to give back (She was saved 2 times JUST because someone had donated it). But my blood is boring, boo At least it's still useful though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr_Deeds)
    AB + B can only create A, B and AB. For you to be O your parents must be either A & A, A & B, A & O, B & B, B & O or O & O. It is impossible for AB & B to ever make O.
    This is true, AB and B can't make O.

Could just be a mutation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Lamb)
    I love how you wrote that without me doing it first!

I'm a bit sad though, my mum's blood type was super rare and I wanted to have it to give back (She was saved 2 times JUST because someone had donated it). But my blood is boring, boo At least it's still useful though
    However because O+ is really very common, you're helping a potential 25% of the population or more! And you can donate to As, Bs and Os and ABs!

Feel sorry for me, I'm A+ which is equally common but can only help A+ and AB+

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr_Deeds)
    Might have been wrongly "typed" in the lab? Aren't there some people with ABO type as a mutation? And the father could be BO?

Hmm...
    It's definitely not still the milkman if your Mum was the one with AB

ReputationRep:
    If you are O+ you are fairly limited in helping potential :P However because O+ is really very common, you're helping a potential 25% of the population or more! And you can donate to As, Bs and Os and ABs!

Yup O+ blood might be common but like you said is very useful.

85% of the population have Rh +ve blood, so (barring antibodies etc) you can give your blood to 85% of people, the only way you could be more useful is to have Rh -ve blood.

O neg is extremely useful as it be given fairly safely to almost anyone, no need to wait half an hour for a group and screen. Thats why most hospitals have a stock of O neg for emergencies.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Might have been wrongly "typed" in the lab? Aren't there some people with ABO type as a mutation? And the father could be BO?

Hmm...
    It's definitely not still the milkman if your Mum was the one with AB
    Possibly. Or maybe the OP's parents aren't AB and B. Better still, perhaps the OP is a mutant :eek:! Do you have any special powers Little Lamb? :p:

ReputationRep:
    O- ftw

ReputationRep:
    OP, do yourself a favour and get yourself typed again...if your Mum is AB- and your Dad is B+, you cannot be O+ unless you're adopted afaik.

ReputationRep:
    Blood typing is very very rarely wrong, when it is done in the lab it is normally done 2 ways.

First the patients red cells are mixed with Anti A and Anti B to see if they agglutinate, for example if your red cells agglutinate with both anti A and Anti B you are blood group AB

Second your serum is mixed with known A or B red cells to see if any agglutination occurs. Most systems also have a control as well in which no agglutination should occur.

I am not saying its 100% error free, but it is VERY unlikely the NBS got it wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Referee)
    OP, do yourself a favour and get yourself typed again...if your Mum is AB- and your Dad is B+, you cannot be O+ unless you're adopted afaik.
    I was wondering how I'd go about this? I had a bit of a hard time when I gave blood (only got 3/4 of a bag ) and whenever I have blood taken I get funky veins that collapse and they have to wiggle it around a lot.

My dad just said that it's like a 1 in 4 chance that I'd be O, but with an AB- mother that doesn't seem right.

And I look like my parents so I can't be anybody elses.

As for special powers, I have double jointed ankles and can turn my feet the wrong way around. Could possibly be a mutant?

EDIT: Also I remember at the time I had a chat with the guy and told him what my mum and dad were. He said I could be anything but O. *confused*
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Funky veins, double jointed ankles and rotating feet? Definitely a mutant :eek3:! On the basis of your parents blood group it's impossible that you are an O. Get your parents to check that they are AB & B. I suspect that your mum might actually be A.

ReputationRep:
    I've double checked, my dad had to go on TV in Thailand to do an appeal for AB- blood for my mum when she had ulcers.

My dad is B+ and showed me as much on some of his medical records. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Lamb)
    I was wondering how I'd go about this? I had a bit of a hard time when I gave blood (only got 3/4 of a bag ) and whenever I have blood taken I get funky veins that collapse and they have to wiggle it around a lot.

My dad just said that it's like a 1 in 4 chance that I'd be O, but with an AB- mother that doesn't seem right.

And I look like my parents so I can't be anybody elses.

As for special powers, I have double jointed ankles and can turn my feet the wrong way around. Could possibly be a mutant?

EDIT: Also I remember at the time I had a chat with the guy and told him what my mum and dad were. He said I could be anything but O. *confused*
    1) Check that your parents are absolutely certain about their blood types.
    2) Call the NBS and see if they can check your type again
    3) Have a word with your GP - s/he should be able to arrange a type check (if you're sure your parents are your parents - sorry, has to be taken into account).

Otherwise, I'm not sure.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you are certainly looking mutantish.

GL with that

Oh definately get the NBS to check on your blood type! Explain the situation to them, I am sure they will help.

Your GP may help, usually though they charge £10 for blood typing, but if you explain to him/her why you want it they may do it for free. Usually you only need your blood type for transfusions so they don't like doing the test for curious people.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2009
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.