Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    ...no, that isn't a euphemism :p:

When compiling my list of things to take to uni from tsr and other sites, one thing that kept on coming up was the need to make sure any ethernet cable purchased was a long one, because lots of people said they'd bought one and then got to their room and found it too short.

So how long is long at Warwick!?! Can someone please measure/ approximate the length of their ethernet cable?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I have a 1m one a 3m one and a 20ft one.

The port was on the wall above my desk in my accommodation so I mostly just used the 1m one, 3m if I wanted to lie on my bed with laptop and 20ft if I wanted to sit outside on the grass (through window).

tbh 3m is probably sufficient if not a bit long to have trailing around on your desk.

ReputationRep:
    they sell them at the right size in costcutters, it really depends on what accom you have. different accom have them in different places, 2m will be as long as you'll ever need it though.

ReputationRep:
    Think mine is 3 meters? But might be more. Whatever length it is - its too ******* long for most uses. Buy one when you get there, there are loads of places which sell them in/around campus in various lengths.

ReputationRep:
    Most halls have the ethernet port right near the desk. But seriosuly get one off ebay instead, Costcutters and the uni ones will rip you right off.

~Amish

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amishb)
    Most halls have the ethernet port right near the desk. But seriosuly get one off ebay instead, Costcutters and the uni ones will rip you right off.

~Amish
    they're like 399 in costcutters... including p&p i'm sure ebay wouldn't be much cheaper...

I had to buy one when I arrived as the port was behind the bed, I think it's a 3m cable. You won't need one longer than that, the port will either be by your desk or across the room which really won't be very far!! If you have one lying around take it, if not you could just buy on arrival at costcutter.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone had any success using a router at Warwick? I know it isn't "allowed" but has anyone got away with it?

ReputationRep:
    Oh right. Costcutter rips you of on most stuff. I thought they may have Ethernet prices such as 9.99 for a 1m cable. But whatever yeah.

And a router. I was thinking about taking a switch, but IT services monitor the number of connections coming off each port. So a switch wouldn't work, but a router would technically work. But then I realized I didn't need to have one :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Totally Tom)
    they're like 399 in costcutters... including p&p i'm sure ebay wouldn't be much cheaper...
    They are cheaper on Ebay. i know last year i put some link up on the fresher website and then got a thankyou email from the ebay seller saying he was getting ridiculous numbers of hits off my post.

Remember some people try and go round trying to scam freshers selling the cables into their rooms at like £5. Some dude tried to scam one of my Rootes freshers and I was like "**** off!"
    I might do it at £3 tho..everyone wins

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TMDaines)
    Has anyone had any success using a router at Warwick? I know it isn't "allowed" but has anyone got away with it?
    why would you want to?

ReputationRep:
    Because I'll be bringing a desktop and a laptop with me.

ReputationRep:
    You guys are obsessed with length.

ReputationRep:
    A meter should do fine.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/130616 - 60p. Win.

Really, don't leave buying one until you get to campus. They always sell out on the first day of term.

I had both a desktop & a laptop. Found I only started using the desktop. Notes and such in lectures are provided on the internet for my degree, so there was no point carrying it around (I do Computer Science btw)

A switch won't work on the network (dark magic). A router would, but would be discovered. Discovery = ban for like a month? Would you live without internet for a month? Don't go there.

There was the additional problem of my warden working for ITS. He was cool, but well, it's best not to annoy your warden.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.