The Student Room Group

Worried about HIV transmission...any Med students? :(

Today i went for a manicure and the women that trimmed my cuticles with a cuticle trimmer caused me to bleed a little. I didn't see her steralize the equipment before or after but I didn't think about that at the time. My nail is still sore and I'm really worried that I could have caught something such as hepatitis or HIV. A lot of people use the salon and it's relatively new, i have no idea if they would have to abide by health and safety rules or not?

I am always careful with these kinds of things and I'm pretty upset she caused me to bleed and worry now. Even my mum said ''Yeh you've got to be careful with things like you, you just never know.'' :frown: Could I have caught anything, I am actually really stressing out as I have a low immune system as it is.
if you're worried just go and get yourself tested, no one on here will be able to tell you if you caught something or not.
Chances of HIV being caught that way, literally, you have more chance of winning the lottery. They're probably steralised before each use, and I'm pretty sure the virus doesn't last long outside the body.
Reply 3
catoutofthebag
if you're worried just go and get yourself tested

Aye, just remember there's a window period of 3 months approximately, so being tested right now might give false negative results. Sore finger is not a symptom of an HIV infection, though, and 24/48 hours is way too short to talk about any kind of symptoms whatsoever.
Reply 4
Antimatter
Chances of HIV being caught that way, literally, you have more chance of winning the lottery. They're probably steralised before each use, and I'm pretty sure the virus doesn't last long outside the body.

It doesn't last long but hepatitis can last for like 5 days. Is hep life threatening or anything?
Reply 5
atleast if you do get aids, you'll have good aids
I wouldnt be overly worried for the time being, it is more money then its worth if they dont steralise things properly and follow health and saftey so im sure they are careful about things.

Just keep an eye on your health if you are worried about it.
They sterilise them in advance, not usually in front of you.
If they didn't it'd be more trouble than its worth, as SOMEONE would have caught something by now and sued them. So I really wouldn't worry tbh, but in 3 months time you can go get yourself tested just to put your mind at rest:smile:
having worked at a beauty salon pretty much everything is steralised, its usually kept in a barbicide solution

even if its new they would still need to follow health and safety rules

if you're worried i'd get yourself tested but it would be extremely rare for you to catch anything, and if you did you can sue them for alot
At least you'll still have nice nails.
You have nothing to worry about!

Read this: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_long_does_HIV_live_outside_the_body

In the almost twenty-five years that scientists have been studying HIV, there has not been a single known instance of HIV being transmitted trough casual contact in the environment.
Reply 11
stainluss
You have nothing to worry about!

Read this: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_long_does_HIV_live_outside_the_body

In the almost twenty-five years that scientists have been studying HIV, there has not been a single known instance of HIV being transmitted trough casual contact in the environment.

Thank you that's made me feel a lot happier...
Reply 12
I'm sure you'll be fine. But, maybe going to doctor instead of an internet forum would be better...

Latest

Trending

Trending