Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which football club has the most deluded set of fans? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    The concept of a soul is a foreign one to me. It only exists in the Bible which is a load of hocus-pocus and Mortal Kombat, which is another hocus-pocus. If souls exist then I can take it just like him above!
    Not literally. But the point is they are emotionally hollow, a corporate exercise now. That's my belief about the way footy has gone and Chelsea have flourished in that era.

You remain enigmatic as ever Mr NDGAARONDI(ex naivesincerity)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emzily)
    england play butters football thoughhh :{!
    That's my point. Football supporters are all too happy to castigate a team, whether it's Bolton, Chelsea or the old Watford (Rory Delap has been taught well) and Wimbledon sides for playing 'bad' football but then turn a blind eye when it's the national team are playing. You see, I don't mind if people are a believer of sexy football and in that it ought to be implemented, but at least if you hold this view, apply it in all situations, not when it suits you. Otherwise I'll just think of you as a cherry-picking Christian, or any other religious believer for that matter.

I've had my fair share of England supporters on the phone to You're On Sky Sports who cry about how England should be playing like Brazil and Argentina. Oh boy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chillaxer)
    Not literally. But the point is they are emotionally hollow, a corporate exercise now. That's my belief about the way footy has gone and Chelsea have flourished in that era.

You remain enigmatic as ever Mr NDGAARONDI(ex naivesincerity)
    Depends I guess. If theirs has gone was it really since the arrival of RA or perhaps before? I always thought if I did hold this view then their soul died with Matthew Harding. And I'm not naivesincerity by the way. He did maths at 'A' level and I couldn't pass that to save my life.

ReputationRep:
    Most definitely Cardiff City.

Gosh I hate the fans so much. A lot of loud mouth Welsh idiots chanting...

"Cardiff City, Cardiff City FC!
    We're the greatest team in football,
    The world has ever seen!"

*sighs* They're so pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    Any set of fans who think that Tevez is worth 25 million

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emzily)
    well portugal are better than us at football.
    They are technically good but as a team they're not all that. They were lucky that Roy Hodgson's Finland did not pip them to qualifying tbh. The media have been collectively portraying football as an art, with more focus on individual technical players, at the expense of the concept of a team. This is why I liked Bolivia's thrashing of Argentina. They fought for every first and second ball, chasing lost causes, with no special individuals. They had an advantage of playing at high altitude, because football teams don't really do oxygen training (unlike the Lions at South Africa), but Argentina have played at Bolivia many times before and weren't always thrashed, so something was different.

ReputationRep:
    anybody who supports a london club

Arsenal "we play sexy football we're better than holland in the 70's"-maybe matt holland
    Chelsea "we're not a big club cos of the money"
    West Ham "we won the world cup" - i didnt realise charlton, greaves, ball were all WHU players
    Palace "Brighton are our real rivals" - well if you want to continue you're eagles seagulls rivalry carry on; be gay
    Spurs "we'll win the champions league... beware of the year that ends in 1"
    Fulham - ive never met a fulham fan
    Millwall "we'll finish above charlton" every year for however many years - well lads maybe this year
    Charlton "we'll win league 1 easy" - no we won't lads we're going down. losing 2 0 to barnet does not make a league winning team. w*****s

newcastle for the undying support showed to the club. you have a chairman who does everything u want. hires managers fires managers everything u asked. now the crap hits the fan its all his fault. mugs.

ReputationRep:
    Depends I guess. If theirs has gone was it really since the arrival of RA or perhaps before? I always thought if I did hold this view then their soul died with Matthew Harding. And I'm not naivesincerity by the way. He did maths at 'A' level and I couldn't pass that so save my life.
    No-I was ns--but huush now....how did you recall that A level?:p:

I dunno about Abramovich or whatevez, but I think footballs soul died long ago. I think economics is indirectly doing that to lots of things.
    It's just so predictable and money driven, you know the top clubs will be blah blah blah, players and managers leave every two weeks, fewer local players etc, talents less likely to stick with one club when in the past honours would have been a chance at smaller clubs etc.
    I was thinking back to being a kid, those ITV Sundays or saturdays, I'm talking like late 80's or early 90's. It was great then, you got involved with clubs and it had a soul. Rose tinted? Maybe...

But I'll give you one example. Look how long Ferguson was at Man U-never had success for ages....now he's a legend...would that have happened in todays climate? It's not just football, that analogy extends to everything-TV, Film, Music industry, Politics, relationships, divorce rate etc. Everything is driven by short termism, profits, self-interest, instant gratification etc...economics has changed things.

ReputationRep:
    They are technically good but as a team they're not all that. They were lucky that Roy Hodgson's Finland did not pip them to qualifying tbh. The media have been collectively portraying football as an art, with more focus on individual technical players, at the expense of the concept of a team. This is why I liked Bolivia's thrashing of Argentina. They fought for every first and second ball, chasing lost causes, with no special individuals. They had an advantage of playing at high altitude, because football teams don't really do oxygen training (unlike the Lions at South Africa), but Argentina have played at Bolivia many times before and weren't always thrashed, so something was different.
    being a team full of technical individuals can be good though. look at charlton we dont have any individuals or a team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whateverwillbe)
    Bradford. Get with the times, man, you're not big anymore.
    haha we can still dream. We are a big business, just a **** club :P

ReputationRep:
    No-I was ns--but huush now....how did you recall that A level?:p:

I dunno about Abramovich or whatevez, but I think footballs soul died long ago. I think economics is indirectly doing that to lots of things.
    It's just so predictable and money driven, you know the top clubs will be blah blah blah, players and managers leave every two weeks, fewer local players etc, talents less likely to stick with one club when in the past honours would have been a chance at smaller clubs etc.
    I was thinking back to being a kid, those ITV Sundays or saturdays, I'm talking like late 80's or early 90's. It was great then, you got involved with clubs and it had a soul. Rose tinted? Maybe...

But I'll give you one example. Look how long Ferguson was at Man U-never had success for ages....now he's a legend...would that have happened in todays climate? It's not just football, that annalergy extends to everything-TV, Film, Music industry, Politics, relationships, divorce rate etc. Everything is driven by short termism, profits etc...economics has changed things.
    all the things you said spell thatcher and her milk snatching ways

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Welsh_insomniac)

every club chants that one :P just changes name :P

ReputationRep:
    I don't get anyone who says our fans are deluded. We all know we're ***** and have said so for the last few seasons. Anyone who's actually been to a Newcastle match or spoken to a real fan will know this. I'm a season ticket holder btw, already renewed for next season.

Shame on anyone who believes the ***** that's fed to you by Sky sports, Setanta and the beeb...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joshp1407)
    every club chants that one :P just changes name :P
    Oh, well that just shows my ignorance of football :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 6Valverde)
    West Brom
    So true.

"We're bigger than Wolves!"

**** off!!!

ReputationRep:
    Newcastle - A big club if you believe what they say (the Orient clearly disagree!)

Boro - Do they not understand why we sing, you've never won f all...

Liverpool - "This year it's our year!...

Villa - Seem to genuinely believe they are the 'best of the rest'. They are not. The table doesn't lie.

+ ANY club which have the cheek to come to Goodison and sing 'Sign On' when more than likely their home town/city is a glorified dump.

Also could add chelsea and city to the rankings, chelsea for seemingly forgetting that prior to the russian you had only won 1 league title (1955) and I hate to quote the kopites but 'you dont have no history...'

And City because they're even worse. 5 minutes into having money and they talk about signing the england and chelsea captain. Behave, signing for City is like some fit bint marrying an old millionaire, theres no love there. You know they're only after one thing. At least pre-investment Chelsea were doing alright. 7 Years ago you were in the Championship!

ReputationRep:
    No-I was ns--but huush now....how did you recall that A level?

But I'll give you one example. Look how long Ferguson was at Man U-never had success for ages....now he's a legend...would that have happened in todays climate? It's not just football, that annalergy extends to everything-TV, Film, Music industry, Politics, relationships, divorce rate etc. Everything is driven by short termism, profits etc...economics has changed things.
    Well, I've always said in defence of my club, when highlighted as if it were the only case, that it's free market at work without limitations imposed. Usually the creation of the Premiership is cited for the long process of soul destroying but in reality it started before. I don't blame Jimmy Hill for getting rid of the salary cap but one point in football that's often ignored is the official endorsement/recognition of agents during the 1980s.

I think you'll find similar arguments in other sports. I stopped watching F1 because of Schumacher and felt aggrieved with how Williams-Renault lost the plot. But I'm not a proper supporter/fan in this sport, just a spectator. Partly why I watch the RBAR these days and perhaps you can give it a look. I'm glad that you recognised the music industry in this though. This is why I rely on low-selling magazines (Metal Hammer and Powerplay as supposed to Kerrang etc) for artists I will like who do not have the backing of major record labels. A similar money-driven argument can also be said for the gaming industry. Want to know how many gaming fans have been screwed over because their 360 has got the RROD or their PS3 has stopped reading discs and were informed they needed to pay for it to be fixed, contrary to British law? My Atari ST is still in perfectly good order and I still play some games on there and it's twenty four years old. Graphics might not be too great but it's not like there's much difference between Wings and Raiden Fighter Aces now is there?

ReputationRep:
    liverpool always think they'll win
    newcastle
    spurs
    forest
    leeds all four above think they're big clubs
    celtic seem to think they're more successful than rangers because they beat 4 teams nobody's ever heard of and a poor inter side to win a now defunct competition...
    oh and for good measure, the english national team, well the media's deluded over them anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adsmitty2109)
    being a team full of technical individuals can be good though. look at charlton we dont have any individuals or a team
    It was a great shame you got relegated, and I mean that. You were cited as the ideal club, under Curbishley, in how clubs should be run and you were looked up to in my opinion. Unfortunately, after supporters and journalists have finished castigating clubs for having a revolving door of managers, they not pay attention to those who tried for stability and got relegated. To me it smacks of irony. Why bother bemoaning Chelsea sacking a well-decorated manager to disapprove of short managerial tenures, when other clubs still suffer when they adhere to 'the way'. Same can be said to Middlesborough. Though I do notice the journalists' attention to Chelsea and Newcastle while Leicester got away pretty much scott free!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Welsh_insomniac)

Right, and we're the only team that sings a version of that song then are we?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.