Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Many apologies if this sounds stupid, but I'm a complete newbie to fitness.

I just got back home from 3 years of Uni, where obviously there was a lot more drinking and kebab eating than I would do at home. I gained about 2.5 stone at Uni, so I'm now 12 stone and 3 lbs (and about 5ft 8). I have a little bit of a gut but nothing too bad - I'd just like to shave off about a stone I guess. No real time frame for it, as I have no idea how long it would take.

I used my brother's treadmill today, and just had a mess around on it. I did the following:

0-1 min = just started off on the slowest setting, 1k (1km/hour I presume), and added another k on every few seconds.

1-5 min = by the 1 minute mark, I was up to 6.5k, and thought that a good sustainable plateau.

5-12 min = I was used to 6.5 by then, so tried 7k, which seemed again sustainable, but I thought I wouldn't push it beyond that as it was my first go.

12-15 min = Slowly dropped back down .5k every half minute until I was back down at 4k.

15-16 min = Raised it back up to 7k.

16-19 min = Stayed at the 7k plateau for a final run before I ended the session.

19-19:30 = dropped it back down to a walking pace and then stopped by 20 minutes.

My stats recorded on the treadmill were:

Distance Ran: 1.8km (1.12 miles)
    Calories Burned: 138
    And my heart rate as I got off was recorded at about 150, I think.

What I wanna know is what I should be doing differently on the treadmill? How many days and for how long is optimum? Or is it more a "go at your own pace" thing? Also, is the "calories burned" readout for jogging with or without holding the rail? (I didn't hold it) I must admit I thought a 20-minute session would burn off more calories than merely half a Mars bar, but like I say, it was a shot in the dark. I wasn't particularly exhaused after 20 minutes (thanks to the dip back down to 4k before the final run), but I didn't want to over-exert myself on my first go.

I'm also adjusting my diet accordingly - fruit and veg, less fatty foods etc. I drink lots of water during a day anyway, but was sure to drink about a pint when I got off the treadmill, as I was absolutely soaked in sweat.

Any other tips? And thanks a lot for helping a newbie!

ReputationRep:
    you ran 1.12 miles in 20 minutes what the hell is wrong with you

ReputationRep:
    that's like 3 miles an hour, that's walking pace

ReputationRep:
    Was gonna say. I did 20 minutes at a quick jog earlier on a treadmill and did 3.4km and that was with a massive incline (Travelled up 113m as well)

Speed it up dude push yourself.

ReputationRep:
    I checked your profile expecting to see some obese whale...But you're not...
    <=7k is (brisk)walking speed. What is wrong with you? You've gotta push yourself yeah?

ReputationRep:
    Haha, I didn't wanna overdo it. I think the maximum my treadmill does is 12k, so I assumed anything over half would be killer. I'll jump it up to at least 8 next time.

Like I said, a total newb at this

ReputationRep:
    20 minutes? You're never going to knock any of that gut off at that rate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asdasta)
    Haha, I didn't wanna overdo it. I think the maximum my treadmill does is 12k, so I assumed anything over half would be killer. I'll jump it up to at least 8 next time.

Like I said, a total newb at this
    you need to overdo it. You need to feel like total ****. If you don't push yourself to exhaustion, you'll never see the results you want.

ReputationRep:
    12k is barely anything tbh

ReputationRep:
    LOL. I just gave 10k a go and that seemed alright. I'll start there next time I think.

ReputationRep:
    how much did your 12km/h treadmill cost

ReputationRep:
    you spent too long documenting the run (by the minute it seems!) rather than just choosing one setting and....running.

ReputationRep:
    I average 13km/h on a treadmill at the gym, and maintain that for 6 km - takes me just under 30 mins.

Honestly, you need to push, push and push yourself to see results. By the way - 12km/hour is not reeeally that fast..

ReputationRep:
    My brother bought it and I thought I'd use it.

ReputationRep:
    I did some rough maths.

At your current rate you will lose your gut in 89 years.

ReputationRep:
    don't listen to them!
    anything over 1.08 miles in 20 minutes is excellent pacemaking
    at this rate you'll be a fighting fit machine!
    there's no need to pressure his ass!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munn)
    don't listen to them!
    anything over 1.08 miles in 20 minutes is excellent pacemaking
    at this rate you'll be a fighting fit machine!
    there's no need to pressure his ass!
    thats not good, i hardly ever run, but i can do a mile in 6 minutes with not too much effort.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'll report back tomorrow after giving it a more thorough seeing to! Should I steep it up to 10k gradually or just bang it up to 10k as quick as I can?

ReputationRep:
    Put it on 12km/h you idiot.
    seriously 12km/h is like a leisurely jog it shouldn't be very difficult

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k8ht67`)
    thats not good, i hardly ever run, but i can do a mile in 6 minutes with not too much effort.
    That's not bad for somebody who doesn't run, though what would you say is little effort? 6 minute miles are a somewhere between a tempo run and speed form for me, and I do put in some miles. Do you do other sports?

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.