Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Many apologies if this sounds stupid, but I'm a complete newbie to fitness.

I just got back home from 3 years of Uni, where obviously there was a lot more drinking and kebab eating than I would do at home. I gained about 2.5 stone at Uni, so I'm now 12 stone and 3 lbs (and about 5ft 8). I have a little bit of a gut but nothing too bad - I'd just like to shave off about a stone I guess. No real time frame for it, as I have no idea how long it would take.

I used my brother's treadmill today, and just had a mess around on it. I did the following:

0-1 min = just started off on the slowest setting, 1k (1km/hour I presume), and added another k on every few seconds.

1-5 min = by the 1 minute mark, I was up to 6.5k, and thought that a good sustainable plateau.

5-12 min = I was used to 6.5 by then, so tried 7k, which seemed again sustainable, but I thought I wouldn't push it beyond that as it was my first go.

12-15 min = Slowly dropped back down .5k every half minute until I was back down at 4k.

15-16 min = Raised it back up to 7k.

16-19 min = Stayed at the 7k plateau for a final run before I ended the session.

19-19:30 = dropped it back down to a walking pace and then stopped by 20 minutes.

My stats recorded on the treadmill were:

Distance Ran: 1.8km (1.12 miles)
    Calories Burned: 138
    And my heart rate as I got off was recorded at about 150, I think.

What I wanna know is what I should be doing differently on the treadmill? How many days and for how long is optimum? Or is it more a "go at your own pace" thing? Also, is the "calories burned" readout for jogging with or without holding the rail? (I didn't hold it) I must admit I thought a 20-minute session would burn off more calories than merely half a Mars bar, but like I say, it was a shot in the dark. I wasn't particularly exhaused after 20 minutes (thanks to the dip back down to 4k before the final run), but I didn't want to over-exert myself on my first go.

I'm also adjusting my diet accordingly - fruit and veg, less fatty foods etc. I drink lots of water during a day anyway, but was sure to drink about a pint when I got off the treadmill, as I was absolutely soaked in sweat.

Any other tips? And thanks a lot for helping a newbie!

ReputationRep:
    you ran 1.12 miles in 20 minutes what the hell is wrong with you

ReputationRep:
    that's like 3 miles an hour, that's walking pace

ReputationRep:
    Was gonna say. I did 20 minutes at a quick jog earlier on a treadmill and did 3.4km and that was with a massive incline (Travelled up 113m as well)

Speed it up dude push yourself.

ReputationRep:
    I checked your profile expecting to see some obese whale...But you're not...
    <=7k is (brisk)walking speed. What is wrong with you? You've gotta push yourself yeah?

ReputationRep:
    Haha, I didn't wanna overdo it. I think the maximum my treadmill does is 12k, so I assumed anything over half would be killer. I'll jump it up to at least 8 next time.

Like I said, a total newb at this

ReputationRep:
    20 minutes? You're never going to knock any of that gut off at that rate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asdasta)
    Haha, I didn't wanna overdo it. I think the maximum my treadmill does is 12k, so I assumed anything over half would be killer. I'll jump it up to at least 8 next time.

Like I said, a total newb at this
    you need to overdo it. You need to feel like total ****. If you don't push yourself to exhaustion, you'll never see the results you want.

ReputationRep:
    12k is barely anything tbh

ReputationRep:
    LOL. I just gave 10k a go and that seemed alright. I'll start there next time I think.

ReputationRep:
    how much did your 12km/h treadmill cost

ReputationRep:
    you spent too long documenting the run (by the minute it seems!) rather than just choosing one setting and....running.

ReputationRep:
    I average 13km/h on a treadmill at the gym, and maintain that for 6 km - takes me just under 30 mins.

Honestly, you need to push, push and push yourself to see results. By the way - 12km/hour is not reeeally that fast..

ReputationRep:
    My brother bought it and I thought I'd use it.

ReputationRep:
    I did some rough maths.

At your current rate you will lose your gut in 89 years.

ReputationRep:
    don't listen to them!
    anything over 1.08 miles in 20 minutes is excellent pacemaking
    at this rate you'll be a fighting fit machine!
    there's no need to pressure his ass!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munn)
    don't listen to them!
    anything over 1.08 miles in 20 minutes is excellent pacemaking
    at this rate you'll be a fighting fit machine!
    there's no need to pressure his ass!
    thats not good, i hardly ever run, but i can do a mile in 6 minutes with not too much effort.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'll report back tomorrow after giving it a more thorough seeing to! Should I steep it up to 10k gradually or just bang it up to 10k as quick as I can?

ReputationRep:
    Put it on 12km/h you idiot.
    seriously 12km/h is like a leisurely jog it shouldn't be very difficult

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k8ht67`)
    thats not good, i hardly ever run, but i can do a mile in 6 minutes with not too much effort.
    That's not bad for somebody who doesn't run, though what would you say is little effort? 6 minute miles are a somewhere between a tempo run and speed form for me, and I do put in some miles. Do you do other sports?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.