Turn on thread page Beta

Treadmill Tips watch

ReputationRep:
    When I started, with completely 0 fitness, I was running on intervals of 10k and 7k (1mins each). This lasted for 10mins, but then I'd go on other machines too.

ReputationRep:
    Get outside and run, you will gain far more fitness and lose more flab.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wardy257)
    Balls. Whichever one allows you to run faster/for longer.

10km/h is a good starting point, do that for 30 mins and work from there. I'ts meant to be hard and you're meant to be a sweaty mess at the end, keep that in mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scipio)
    Balls. Whichever one allows you to run faster/for longer.
    Care to quantify that? Your entitled to your own opinion but to just write "balls" without stating why/backing up your claim is bigger balls.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed.

I get way too bored running on treadmills, I have to go outside.

ReputationRep:
    Care to quantify that? Your entitled to your own opinion but to just write "balls" without stating why/backing up your claim is bigger balls.
    Running outside won't make you burn more calories by itself. The sentence following was my point.

Some people will run longer/faster on a treadmill. Why? Maybe because they can precisely quantify the distance/speed/time, whereas for others this may be a hinderance, along with plenty of other which will depend on the individual.

ReputationRep:
    I've got some advice! Get off the treadmill and hit the tarmac!

It's much more enjoyable running around the streets/countryside. So much to see to grab your attention. It's also a bit harder than running on a treadmill unless you put an incline on it.

ReputationRep:
    You should definetly increase your speed.
    You dont need to walk slowly before you run either just set off at the speed you wish to run the full 20 minutes in.
    Then after the 20 min, do your cool down then.
    Try run 5x a week, and increase you speed and time the following day... but gradually.
    If your working heart rate is 150 bpm you should be working harder...you can workout the correct WHR on internet. You should be working at about 70 to 80% of your Max HR.
    Also try running outside...far better!!!!
    Good luck with it all
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Giggles128)
    You should definetly increase your speed.
    You dont need to walk slowly before you run either just set off at the speed you wish to run the full 20 minutes in.
    Then after the 20 min, do your cool down then.
    Try run 5x a week, and increase you speed and time the following day... but gradually.
    If your working heart rate is 150 bpm you should be working harder...you can workout the correct WHR on internet. You should be working at about 70 to 80% of your Max HR.
    Also try running outside...far better!!!!
    Good luck with it all
    x
    5 days a week is far too much for somebody who hasn't run. That kind of commitment can only be built up over time, else you aren't doing enough in a session!

OP you'd be better looking at 2-3 sessions a week for the time being. This all depends how much you push yourself though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gypsy King)
    That's not bad for somebody who doesn't run, though what would you say is little effort? 6 minute miles are a somewhere between a tempo run and speed form for me, and I do put in some miles. Do you do other sports?
    I do play football, but I am a striker and most of my running is done in short little bursts so it is completely different.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.