Turn on thread page Beta

Suicide...... is NOT selfish? watch

ReputationRep:
    delete

ReputationRep:
    People commit suicide for a variety of different reasons, and they're in varying situations before they do it...you can't tar every single suicide with the same brush.

ReputationRep:
    It's desperately sad, that's all. It's not a joke, it's not to spite people and you can't simply talk people out of it, no matter how much you love them.

ReputationRep:
    I think it is ridiculously selfish especially those idiots who do it in places that cause major disruption to the population, such as those idiots who throw themselves on the London Underground grinding everything to a halt! It is like they are doing it for the sole purpose of attention, a glamorous death or something equally as pathetic :confused:
    There is no reason to be sympathetic to the fool who kills themselves leaving horror and destruction of others on their wake.

ReputationRep:
    When someone is suicidal, they are past the point of being selfish. They hardly choose to feel that way do they? They'd only be selfish if they were making a rational choice to cause pain to others. Anyway, sometimes the suicidal person honestly thinks that other people would be better off if they weren't there anymore - hardly being selfish!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's selfish at all. It is honestly believing it is the only way out.

ReputationRep:
    i agree, on this subject this guy was saying "they were selfish to commit suicide, what about their loved ones?! i don't care what that person's feeling, they're DEAD! it's the ones left behind that suffer"

that infuriated me immensely.
    it's selfish of the family and friends to think about themselves when someone's suffering or has committed suicide.
    just respect the person's decision to go to the point of suicide whether or not you agree with it.

What is selfish is expecting someone to live on in misery for their own benefit.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldnt say people commit suicide becuase they are selfish but just trying to make an desperate escape. Its a dehumansied process cause you never really think of the person who has took thier life, you just think about about for a minute then move on. You cant really judge it because you dont know the situation in what that perosn found themselves in.

ReputationRep:
    I think this depends entirely on the circumstance. I believe people should have the right to choose to do what they wish. If they are mentally able and choose to end their own life, that's their decision and we should respect it. Who am I to stop them. It's sad yes, but it's life.

(Original post by orangeboy)
    I think so. Like I said, if people actually loved that person enough, or, really, showed that love to help that person they would still be here.
    I totally disagree with this however. I believe in many instances people choose to take their own lives due to lack of love.

ReputationRep:
    No, it most definitely isn't "selfish". It is not a logical response to a problem.

ReputationRep:
    suicide is for pussies

ReputationRep:
    Naturally, our lives are (the vast majority of the time) the most important thing to us. If someone's in a state where this becomes meaningless to them, why should someone else's feelings or journey to work that day matter to them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cardine92)
    It's desperately sad, that's all. It's not a joke, it's not to spite people and you can't simply talk people out of it, no matter how much you love them.
    I agree. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meskell)
    I think it is ridiculously selfish especially those idiots who do it in places that cause major disruption to the population, such as those idiots who throw themselves on the London Underground grinding everything to a halt! It is like they are doing it for the sole purpose of attention, a glamorous death or something equally as pathetic :confused:
    There is no reason to be sympathetic to the fool who kills themselves leaving horror and destruction of others on their wake.
    How on earth can you construe someone that hates life so much they want it to end as attention seeking? Suicide is hardly a "glamorous death"

As glutamic acid said, it's selfish to expect someone who absolutely wants to end their lives not to in order to make yourself feel better. Not that I believe you should never try and talk someone out of suicidal feelings.

ReputationRep:
    Agreeing with others here, suicide isn't selfish. It's both a weak and a strong thing to do - and takes absolutely bravery and total desperation to the point of stupidity.
    It's a mistake, and I doubt anyone has ever killed themselves just to upset others - our instinct is to survive and you have to lose your sense of being human before you lose that instinct.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meteorshower)
    How on earth can you construe someone that hates life so much they want it to end as attention seeking? Suicide is hardly a "glamorous death"

As glutamic acid said, it's selfish to expect someone who absolutely wants to end their lives not to in order to make yourself feel better. Not that I believe you should never try and talk someone out of suicidal feelings.
    I didn't say it was a glamorous death but thats how they might portray it as they know it will get reported in the media, whereas someone just slitting their wrists or gassing themselves will be, by and large, ignored by the press.
    If they are going to committ suicide why inconvenience a large number of people?

ReputationRep:
    I didn't say it was a glamorous death but thats how they might portray it as they know it will get reported in the media, whereas someone just slitting their wrists or gassing themselves will be, by and large, ignored by the press.
    If they are going to committ suicide why inconvenience a large number of people?
    I don't think you understand, their lives are miserable to the point of complete meaninglessness. It likely doesn't even cross their minds that something will happen after the act. Slitting your wrists isn't exactly the easiest or most definite way either.

Whether they'll be reported in the media or not is of little concern; they'll be dead. Besides, jumping in front of a train will lead to an almost certain and insant death, whereas slitting one's wrists or gassing oneself does not. It's unlikely that a suicidal person will notice the peripheral consequences or problems; they're not killing anyone but themself, so why should they worry about merely inconveniencing some strangers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meteorshower)
    I don't think you understand, their lives are miserable to the point of complete meaninglessness. It likely doesn't even cross their minds that something will happen after the act. Slitting your wrists isn't exactly the easiest or most definite way either.
    I get the whole suicide thing and why they do it, believe me!
    But on the whole to me it is still an incredibly selfish thing, if they want to go and do it then whatever it is their choice. Just they should keep it away from disrupting other peoples lives.
    Imagine you have a 5 year old child, you are sitting in Euston sation and then some absolute prat jumps in front of a train splattering themselves and the resulting mess falls all over you and your child.
    Your child would be scarred for life, so by the act of suicide they have stained an innocents life.

(I know that is taking it to the extreme but just the image of seeing another kill themselves could be enough to detroy a youngsters mind)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2009
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.