Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meskell)
    I get the whole suicide thing and why they do it, believe me!
    But on the whole to me it is still an incredibly selfish thing, if they want to go and do it then whatever it is their choice. Just they should keep it away from disrupting other peoples lives.
    Imagine you have a 5 year old child, you are sitting in Euston sation and then some absolute prat jumps in front of a train splattering themselves and the resulting mess falls all over you and your child.
    Your child would be scarred for life, so by the act of suicide they have stained an innocents life.

(I know that is taking it to the extreme but just the image of seeing another kill themselves could be enough to detroy a youngsters mind)
    But they probably believe they are making people's lives better by killing themselves. They wont consider what will happen after they die, they will think that things will be better for everyone when they die. In that sense, it's not a selfish act. There is no way for them to keep it away from others lives unless they have no friends or family.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by orangeboy)
    I wonder if these people can see their loved ones reactions to it in the medium they have entered? (If any at all!) lol
    lol

Suicide is incredibly selfish, it's probably the most selfish choice you can make even when you can't see any other way out.

And before people have a go at me for saying this, I've been there...everything planned out - I couldn't see an alternative route and I thought it was for the best. A last minute change in plans is the only reason I'm alive.

ReputationRep:
    Like I said, if people actually loved that person enough, or, really, showed that love to help that person they would still be here.
    Don't agree with this part at all. A lot of the time people are troubled but give no sign of it to the people they know. Somebody I know committed suicide very, very recently. He was well-loved, and as far as anyone could tell, a very happy, outgoing, jovial guy. He obviously had a lot of problems that he kept bottled up, and it's terrible that he didn't talk about it because there's so many people that would have been there for him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    People commit suicide for a variety of different reasons, and they're in varying situations before they do it...you can't tar every single suicide with the same brush.
    this one talks sense, op

but yeah i agree..i don't agree with people being 'selfish' for committing suicide because they obviously don't think much of themselves seeing as they want to end their life so they're not exactly self obsessed or only interested in themselves. I just think when they jump in front of trains and everyone moans 'oh they're so selfish for killing themselves' that people should show a bit more respect/empathy toward that person....no one can imagine what was going through that persons mind.

ReputationRep:
    people who committ suicide such just get it over with rather than posting on the stupid net about it only attention whores do that

ReputationRep:
    The only selfish thing about suicide: Those who consider only how THEY would feel if they were affected by another person's suicide.

ReputationRep:
    er... I don't think the person that committed suicide would really care if they were selfish or not, since they are already dead!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dumbdumb)
    people who committ suicide such just get it over with rather than posting on the stupid net about it only attention whores do that
    I dont think anyone who has commied sucide would post it on the net as they cant. I guess you mean people who think about it ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lessthanzero)
    I dont think anyone who has commied sucide would post it on the net as they cant. I guess you mean people who think about it ?
    yeah those who post it r attention whores

ReputationRep:
    I don't really think the process of ending one's self can be selfish, no.

ReputationRep:
    It's too general a question to say "yay or nay" to.

things would obviously be different in different situations

ReputationRep:
    I saw a guy OD and die on stickcam a year or so back, it was something. Slept fine that night.

ReputationRep:
    Involving other people in a suicide is selfish, i.e. throwing yourself in front of a train/car, in my opinion. But I suppose you could argue that mankind is selfish, like we have a natural instinct for survival which is not necessarily a bad trait but nonetheless selfish, therefore going against this instinct is selfless. In fact no, scrap that. That's the worst argument I've ever made.
    It's not even an argument. Erm....

ReputationRep:
    Suicide...... is NOT selfish?
    Well, it sort of is, but it hardly matters if you're dead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mamooshka)
    Involving other people in a suicide is selfish, i.e. throwing yourself in front of a train/car, in my opinion. But I suppose you could argue that mankind is selfish, like we have a natural instinct for survival which is not necessarily a bad trait but nonetheless selfish, therefore going against this instinct is selfless. In fact no, scrap that. That's the worst argument I've ever made.
    It's not even an argument. Erm....
    How can someone commit suicide without involving others?

ReputationRep:
    everyone hurts when someone dies anyway so commiting suicide isn't selfish as even when they died naturally the people left behind still hurt and are sad, upset etc. It is kind of selfish to stop the day to day stuff like jumping in front of an underground train bringing everything to a holt, as they could have found an alternative route i.e. od or poison. Anyway its their choice to do it, in some cases it should be stopped but if the person is terminally ill and they have chosen to do it then they should be helpped, yeah you'd be breaking the law but thats when you can lie so you don't get in trouble, as long as it isn't forced on the person. The law should change and the law is too religious

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meteorshower)
    How can someone commit suicide without involving others?
    Apologies, I meant putting other people's lives in danger.

ReputationRep:
    I won't answer the question but raise another point, people judge people all the time, but people who are suicidal usually don't want to be judged, they want support. If someone makes an attempt on their life I don't see how telling them "you're so selfish" will help them. You may think "they'll realise that they're cared about" but honestly, I expect the reaction to be "I've ****** up again, I'm useless" which is more likely to lead to other self inflicted harm.

On another note a key theme in buddhist tradition appears to be that we are being reborn until we can reach enlightenment, and that nivarna is the only way out, my understanding of it goes (with any luck) to beyound what I feel I can post here right now, but nivarna is part of becoming enlightened, it is the lack of thirst to exist, which means that there is no unsatisfactoriness which leads to a lack of rebirth and thus existance (another key theme appears to be that nothing is permanent). But going into all that properly like I say, is probably a bit much for one post.

ReputationRep:
    There are various types of suicide so its both impossible and unwise to get out your tar brush...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.