Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Suicide...... is NOT selfish? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mamooshka)
    Apologies, I meant putting other people's lives in danger.
    Ah fair enough. I can't imagine there are many suicides where someone jumps in front of a car though, that isn't exactly definite.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with you to a certain extent but I also think it depends how they choose to go about it

I have had friends who have had to find their dad or parent hanging in the garage or living room, and I don't think the person always thnks about the effect it will have on their family members especially children

People also chose to commit suicide for a varying amount of reasons, I don't think money problems are a good enough reason or for example if they have commited murder and are in prison then I agree that suicide is a cowards way out

ReputationRep:
    This is perhaps one of the most difficult debates to discuss. People commit suicide for a variety of reasons and although some people may do it too fast and without considering all of the consequences, others do it because they find life to not be worth living anymore... It truly is the most personal thing anyone could decide to do - take their own life.

Yes, there are ways that they can talk to others about their problems and try and work them all out - however those ways may not always work or they may even think that by taking their own life they are doing their friends and family a favour.

In my own summary: Yes, you can call people who commit suicide selfish and cowards if you please - but remember that people do it for a variety of reasons and we will never know some of the deepest and darkest thoughts that lie in the minds of those taking their own life.

...It is their personal and tragic decision; perhaps the last decision many of them will ever make - so lets not judge them and leave their memories to tatters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meskell)
    I think it is ridiculously selfish especially those idiots who do it in places that cause major disruption to the population, such as those idiots who throw themselves on the London Underground grinding everything to a halt! It is like they are doing it for the sole purpose of attention, a glamorous death or something equally as pathetic :confused:
    There is no reason to be sympathetic to the fool who kills themselves leaving horror and destruction of others on their wake.
    I seriously hope you're just a troll.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomDut)
    This is perhaps one of the most difficult debates to discuss. People commit suicide for a variety of reasons and although some people may do it too fast and without considering all of the consequences, others do it because they find life to not be worth living anymore... It truly is the most personal thing anyone could decide to do - take their own life.

Yes, there are ways that they can talk to others about their problems and try and work them all out - however those ways may not always work or they may even think that by taking their own life they are doing their friends and family a favour.

In my own summary: Yes, you can call people who commit suicide selfish and cowards if you please - but remember that people do it for a variety of reasons and we will never know some of the deepest and darkest thoughts that lie in the minds of those taking their own life.

...It is their personal and tragic decision; perhaps the last decision many of them will ever make - so lets not judge them and leave their memories to tatters.
    Good post! People are quick to judge and people who commit suicide do so for their own personal reasons which we can never understand unless we're in that position. Of course suicide is a permanent solution to what may seem like temporary problems to us but as one poster said we will never know some of the deepest and darkest thoughts that lie in the mind of those taking their own life.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.