Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Weight loss training regime - opinions? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi -

A friend has made a training regime me so I can finally try to lose weight and I was just hoping on some opinions of it.

Please be honest and tell me if there's anything that should be changed.

Thanks

PS. I have never used weights before and plan to look up videos on the internet so I can use a weights set I bought for use at home.

Day One: Back, Traps.

Back: Barbell Row. 3 sets of 10 reps.

Pull-ups or Pulldowns. 3 sets of 10 reps.

Deadlifts. 3 sets of 6 reps.

Traps: Dumbell or Barbell Shrugs 3 sets of 10

Day Two: HIIT

Day Three: Chest and Abs

Chest: Incline bench press. 3 sets of 10 reps.

Flat dumbbell press. 3 sets of 8 reps.

Dumbbell Flyes. 4 sets of 12 reps. (Use Light dumbbells)

Chest presses

Abs: Crunches. 4 sets of 12-15 reps

Hanging leg raises. 4 sets of 12-15 reps

Day Four: HIIT

Day Five: Legs

Hamstrings: Lying leg curls or standing. 4 sets of 12-15 reps

Quads: Leg extensions. 4 sets of 12-15 reps

Quads/Hams : 4 sets of 15 rep squats

Calves: 4 sets of seated calf raises. 15-20 reps

4 sets of standing calf raises. 15-20 reps.

Day Six: HIIT

Day Seven: Shoulders/Arms

Shoulders: Lateral side raises. 4 sets of 15

4 sets of barbell shoulder presses. 4 sets of 10.

Biceps: 3 sets of straight bar curls. 10 reps

3 sets of hammer curls. 10 reps

Triceps: 3 sets of close grip bench presses. 10 reps

3 sets of decline bench skullcrushers. 10 reps

ReputationRep:
    You need to add rest days

ReputationRep:
    What about your diet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FormerlyFrisbeeFan)
    What about your diet?
    Well I'm basically just going to cut out any crap. Avoid sugary drinks, drink more water, no crisps/chocolate/ice cream, try and stick to maybe one unhealthy meal a week (like chips).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clements-)
    You need to add rest days
    Is it necessary? The HIIT I do is normally only 20 minutes and although I'm really tired at the end, it makes me feel satisfied.

ReputationRep:
    someone inform me, what is HIIT? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shomm)
    Is it necessary? The HIIT I do is normally only 20 minutes and although I'm really tired at the end, it makes me feel satisfied.
    Yes, it is necessary. You'll be at a greater risk of injury if you don't add them in, plus your workouts will probably be more effective if you have rests in between. Working out, say 4 or so times a week would probably be better. HIIT wear out your muscles just as much so it's important that you let your muscles recover.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clements-)
    Yes, it is necessary. You'll be at a greater risk of injury if you don't add them in, plus your workouts will probably be more effective if you have rests in between. Working out, say 4 or so times a week would probably be better. HIIT wear out your muscles just as much so it's important that you let your muscles recover.
    Do you think it would be better to do HIIT after weights instead, and then just exercise every other day?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ogloom)
    someone inform me, what is HIIT? Thanks
    High-intensity interval training

Sprint for a bit, walk for a bit, sprint for a bit, walk for a bit, etc.

ReputationRep:
    seems a bit much for someone who has never done weights b4.

ReputationRep:
    get an experienced friend to go through the excercises with you. btw, what kind of shape are you in at the moment? I mean weight, height, shape etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bunty64)
    get an experienced friend to go through the excercises with you. btw, what kind of shape are you in at the moment? I mean weight, height, shape etc
    I'm about 5ft6 (short for my age - I'm 17), weight around 13 stone 13lb at the moment, and body shape is really bad (huge belly, moobs etc..).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shomm)
    Well I'm basically just going to cut out any crap. Avoid sugary drinks, drink more water, no crisps/chocolate/ice cream, try and stick to maybe one unhealthy meal a week (like chips).
    Sounds good However, to maximise good results, you will need to regiment your diet more so that you have certain sorts of foods before training, certain foods afterwards and so forth...I'm not an expert, but plenty of people on here are (like Powerlifter), so ask them for more details. Like I said, you will see results just by cutting out the crap, but you'll get even better results if you research it more.

ReputationRep:
    OK, well then I'd suggest concentrating on cardio and diet. Do indeed include weight training, but initially concentrate on cardio and diet.
    As you've never lifted weights, id suggest joining a gym or initially working at home with an experienced friend.
    Have a look at www.muscleandstrength.com
    this site has should help you out a lot.

ReputationRep:
    Do more rest.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.