Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which university has better reputation, york, cardiff or birmingham? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm an international student. I'm really confused about choosing the right university. I checked the RAE and TIMES ranking, but it changes every year. So I really don't know which is the best choice. :confused:

1. York MA cinema television & society
    2. Cardiff MA International Journalism
    3. Birmingham MA media culture and society

How about this one?? Is this better than York?
    4. University of the arts london: MA enterprise and management of creative arts

ReputationRep:
    York, easily.

ReputationRep:
    York by a country mile =]

ReputationRep:
    York.

ReputationRep:
    yeh York i would say. nicest place to live i think as well

ReputationRep:
    As the consensus seems to say, York is the one with the most prestige, but that does not necessarily mean that it will be the right uni for you. Visit them all and find out where you feel at home most and which one offers a course that is more suited to your interests. Don't put prestige too high on your list of priorities.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, even though York ranks the best, I'd personally pick Birmingham, but that's because i hated York's campus.

ReputationRep:
    York has the best reputation but you can't really go wrong with any of those.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaoPaolo90)
    As the consensus seems to say, York is the one with the most prestige, but that does not necessarily mean that it will be the right uni for you. Visit them all and find out where you feel at home most and which one offers a course that is more suited to your interests. Don't put prestige too high on your list of priorities.
    exactly what i was going to say.

ReputationRep:
    I would have said Birmingham, but then again I'm in a completely different study field.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say York had the best reputation, but I liked Cardiff and Birmingham more. Definitely one for personal choice.

ReputationRep:
    birm

ReputationRep:
    For your field, I have no idea.

For academics, York might be viewed more favourably. In the city, or in Law, the top firms would probably veer more towards Birmingham.

They are all good universities. My vote goes to Birmingham.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    You're talking about postgraduate... so the field in question plays a huge role. If we were talking economics, then it would be York > Birmingham > Cardiff, but we're not, we're talking what seems to be two/three different fields.

Which course suits you better? Which is more what you want to study?

Sidenote: At a postgraduate level, the overall reputation/prestige of a university plays a minute role, if one at all. It's all about the reputation of the department/academics in question.

ReputationRep:
    If you're going to do journalism go for Cardiff... your courses are all quite different But Cardiff is frequently said to be among the top 3, if not the best, university for MA journalism

ReputationRep:
    For graduate work, I wouldn't listen to TSR's opinion on these things- most are A-Level students and 'by a country mile' means about five places in a league table. York is one of seven universities overall to have never ranked outside of the top 20 in any league table, but I'd argue that doesn't mean a whole lot, and especially not in your field. Birmingham is 110 years old, league tables have been around for about 15, and most people who will be employing you a) won't put a great deal of worth into them b) will think differently with regards to postgrad and c) if they did go to university, are probably of an age (i.e 40 and above) where they applied before league tables even existed.

I cannot profess to know much about Film Studies depts in the UK. What I can say is, for the love of god don't listen to a few people on TSR who, on the whole, are nowhere near qualified to tell you about where to go and what people think are 'the best' places to study. In all likelihood they'll have studied at none of the three, and its a near-certainty that they've not got experience of all three, or graduate recruiters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0404343m)
    For graduate work, I wouldn't listen to TSR's opinion on these things- most are A-Level students and 'by a country mile' means about five places in a league table. York is one of seven universities overall to have never ranked outside of the top 20 in any league table, but I'd argue that doesn't mean a whole lot, and especially not in your field. Birmingham is 110 years old, league tables have been around for about 15, and most people who will be employing you a) won't put a great deal of worth into them b) will think differently with regards to postgrad and c) if they did go to university, are probably of an age (i.e 40 and above) where they applied before league tables even existed.

I cannot profess to know much about Film Studies depts in the UK. What I can say is, for the love of god don't listen to a few people on TSR who, on the whole, are nowhere near qualified to tell you about where to go and what people think are 'the best' places to study. In all likelihood they'll have studied at none of the three, and its a near-certainty that they've not got experience of all three, or graduate recruiters.
    You're right. But for now, there is no way I can get valuable info from employers in uk. In my country, people are only familiar with Oxford and Cambridge. They also seem to know Manchester and Birmingham, but it's only because of the cities, not the uni. That's why I really feel confused lol

ReputationRep:
    In this order from best to worst:

1. York
    2. Birmignham
    3. Cardiff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by masakijia)
    You're right. But for now, there is no way I can get valuable info from employers in uk. In my country, people are only familiar with Oxford and Cambridge. They also seem to know Manchester and Birmingham, but it's only because of the cities, not the uni. That's why I really feel confused lol
    go online and spend an hour a) discovering what employers in your field require b) each university website to analyse the course, the uni and the city- whether it is right for you c) go on the TSR postgrad subsection and post queries there.

This will give you a more informed decision because as stated TSR undergrads who aren't even in your field are not the best people to be asking due to their somewhat lacking expertise in the matter.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.