Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    By prison workout I mean no gym equipment like weights, just bodyweight exercises like burpees, pushups, tricep dips, pullups etc..

My question is this, could this be as effective as weight training in building muscle?

Also has anyone read or heard about this book:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Solitary-Fit...d_bxgy_b_img_b

Would it be worth getting from a fitness point of view?

By the way, I'm only exploring this because it's cheaper than gym membership or weights so please don't say "just join a gym dude".

ReputationRep:
    no

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the quick and short reply

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BuckBuckBuckaroo)
    By prison workout I mean no gym equipment like weights, just bodyweight exercises like burpees, pushups, tricep dips, pullups etc..

My question is this, could this be as effective as weight training in building muscle?

Also has anyone read or heard about this book:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Solitary-Fit...d_bxgy_b_img_b

Would it be worth getting from a fitness point of view?

By the way, I'm only exploring this because it's cheaper than gym membership or weights so please don't say "just join a gym dude".
    If you're set on not using weights, try Never Gymless or Infinite Intensity.

ReputationRep:
    are u looking to achieve a muscular physique?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    If you're set on not using weights, try Never Gymless or Infinite Intensity.
    Thanks, infiinite intensity had pics of gym equipment though but Never Gymless looks good, I'll check it out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bunty64)
    are u looking to achieve a muscular physique?
    Well yes

ReputationRep:
    Well yes
    there are limits to BW work.

it'll work to an extent, but when you'll have issues with adding on weight

yeh, you can use a backpack, whatever

but it's still limited

plus there's no like 5kg increments or whatever to progressively overload

ReputationRep:
    If you want good results, invest in some weights.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adonis)
    there are limits to BW work.

it'll work to an extent, but when you'll have issues with adding on weight

yeh, you can use a backpack, whatever

but it's still limited

plus there's no like 5kg increments or whatever to progressively overload
    Yeah this is true but I don't want to get BIG, I don't mind being slim or whatever as long as I'm in shape and to maintain this. But obviously I have to get there first and then the issue of maintaining it can be addressed!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah this is true but I don't want to get BIG, I don't mind being slim or whatever as long as I'm in shape and to maintain this. But obviously I have to get there first and then the issue of maintaining it can be addressed!
    Yes, you can get something from it, but as mentioned, it's limited. you can only get so big. whether it's enough for you, then okay thats good. but for a lot of people (like the regulars on here) it isn't.

Weights will be faster, and get better results. it's also easier to control and moderate.

But if your set on BW, then get a pullup bar and start some dips now.

oh and btw, i'm lovin' the guys moustache

ReputationRep:
    I was like you mate until I joined the gym. There is unlimited excerices you can do in the gym that you just can't do at home. It's well worth it (unless it's over 40 a month).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.