Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Me and my bf have been going out for just under 3 years. He's generally a happy, bubbly person to be around and very outgoing and fun loving.

He's 20 now but when he was in year 9 at school he tried to commit suicide. He's spoken to me openly about this and from what i figured it was mainly because of being bullied and a bad time at school.

Anyway, we had an argument about something trivial and he got very wound up and upset. After he'd calmed down we spoke about it and in not so many words he basically said that the reason he plays video games (he plays them quite a lot) is to block out his feelings of sadness and that he feels he doesn't know how to be happy. He also said that he feels like he doesn't deserve me and sometimes wishes he had succeeded when he tried to commit suicide in year 9. He also said he feels like his life isn't going anywhere (it is; he's an apprentice electrician, has a good group of mates and a caring family). This isn't the first time he's told me some of this.

Anyway, I tried (as i have done before) to encourage him to "speak to someone" (professional) but he just gets annoyed at me when i suggest this (can be a delicate prospect i know).

I just don't know what i can do to help him (if anything?) Day to day he's like i said, happy, cheerful etc but when he gets upset he tells me these really scary things and i just want to help?

Sorry about the long post and thanks for reading if u got this far, any advice at all is very much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    dump him and shag his mate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dumbdumb)
    dump him and shag his mate
    Much help you are! Just try to cheer him up with little things, and if he wont talk to a prof. at least make him talk to you, so you'll know what you're dealing with! Gd luck hun!

ReputationRep:
    Let him know that he can talk to you, but it is quite a big burden for you to bear. Why not suggest going to see someone with him - he might feel happier about going if he isn't going to be alone.

let him know that he doesn't have to go out of his way to speak to anyone, or even see anyone as that is what put me off going to doctors/psychiatrist for help when i was depressed. Give him the number and email address of the Samaritans who are completely confidential, and help people to help themselves.

Thanks everyone, I'll definately try the Samaritans thing and keep tryin the little things

Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    talk to him about it,keep on reminding him that he has a good profession, caring friends and family, and a girl who loves him.
    maybe, try to play vedeo games with him,to share everyhting with him even when hes sad.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hear that. I think that you should keep reminding him about the positive aspects of his life, like the ones you mentioned in your post. More than anything, try and be there when he wants help or just wants to talk (which you appear to be doing anyway).

Good luck!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.