Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    im not talkin about shop work but like say working in a bank or an office...how do you train? do they throw you in the deep end when you dont really know what your doing, like dealing with customers...do you learn on the job, but how?

ReputationRep:
    It'll vary from job to job. I've done some where I've been given formal training, some where I've been told to watch someone else at work and then work on my own afterwards, and some where I've been thrown in at the deep end and left to my own devices.

ReputationRep:
    Monkey see, monkey do.

ReputationRep:
    but like you need to know alot about a company and know much stuff to do your job...and when i go into places like banks i never see people who lookk like their training

ReputationRep:
    Its called training. Often done away from the job, in an office or somewhere out of public view.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Often they will pair you with an existing member of staff, who will show you what to do, and you will be told how to do other things.
    When I got a job as a support worker I had various training days doing manual handling, first aid, epilepsy medication and food hygiene training before I was allowed to do certain things on my own.

All jobs are different, some will send you on very structured training programmes, some won't give you any. At Vision Express a few years ago I was just told to get on with the job without actually being told how to do anything :rolleyes:.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a receptionist and started out by shadowing someone for two of their shifts - I was worried about the customers being huffy but obviously they understood and probably empathised; everyone has to start somewhere and of course no one expects you to get it right first time!

They'll give you duties to carry out and you get used to everything eventually - everything takes time so don't worry!

ReputationRep:
    I work for quite a large company so initially it can be a bit hard to get your head round all the complicated systems. They normally show me how to do some small, repetitive task and then let me get on doing it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.