Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Please keep anon or delete

In my GCSE's I got 12A* and 1A. When I tell people this (I don't go out of my way to, just when people ask lol) they seem to think I am some kind of loser with no life and they don't really see it as a positive thing. To be honest, all of my coursework and revision for my GCSE's was always last minute (i.e. the night before the due date/ exam!) and I don't really see how people can fail exams especially those who put in loads more effort than me... I don't feel like an intelligent person, not compared to loads of people I know, and I reckon if I lived 30 years ago when the exams were supposedly "harder" I would be a pretty average student.

I was at this university summer school thing last week and the people in my group (about 10 of them) started talking about how they hate people who get 10A* and the like (I kept schtum about my results :P ). I think they thought you have to have no life to get these grades and also think the people with high grades rub in in their faces. I just find it embarrassing telling people what I got (hence the anon - I am not trying to gloat or anything!)

Hmmm I'm not really sure what my questions are!

...Are GCSE's/A levels too easy?
    ...Do you look down on people with ridiculous amounts of A*s or do you see it as a positive thing (however this answer may be skewed as we are on TSR - have you had any bad reactions from people to high grades might be a better question!)

Sorry for the long winded/ confusing thread I just needed a bit of a rant

ReputationRep:
    Haha be pleased with those grades and tbh *not gloating* i'm hoping to get good grades and i have a great social life, i've been out every weekend bar one this holidays and i've been going into town/cinema with friends in the weekdays and although its toned down when its school time. I still can enjoy myself.

Also to add to the case that the no social life thing is not true, loads of my friends are predicted great grades all in the regions of 8,9,10,11,12 A*'s and they also have good social lives. Although when i came on tsr it is clear to see that with some people its all grades, which i find a bit disappointing since they are missing out on the most fun bit of their lives with the delusion that it's automatically going to get better.

Anyways, lost track a bit, you will find loads of people saying GCSE's are easy, i know someone who did very little work for them and got 12A*'s and i know someone, albeit on tsr, that worked 8 hours a day during study leave and got 11A*'s. It's all subjective, personally I did twelve and i didn't find my timetable/exam clashes fun at all.

Plus, I don't tend to look down on people with good grades, quite the opposite, i respect them a bit more for (in most cases) putting effort in that got them such excellent grades.

Also, remember your grades are excellent and people are going to be jealous

ReputationRep:
    Well it'll depend on the person. Some will get very high grades without working hard at all, some will have no life, and some will be somewhere in between.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps you're just good at exams.

If you don't feel like your intelligent this could be true, it's quite unlikely but certainly possible.
    Exams these days are full of all sorts of random stuff and it can be argued they don't fully test intelligence/are too easy.

A-levels are a slightly different story. I would be happy with this gift you've got, not complaining about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by radiated yoghurt)
    Perhaps you're just good at exams.

If you don't feel like your intelligent this could be true, it's quite unlikely but certainly possible.
    Exams these days are full of all sorts of random stuff and it can be argued they don't fully test intelligence/are too easy.

A-levels are a slightly different story. I would be happy with this gift you've got, not complaining about it.
    I'm sort of like that. I'm good at exams, but don't feel smart. But then, I'm not sure if truly intelligent people feel that way too lol. :p:

ReputationRep:
    My GCSEs sucked, I got something like 4 A's, 2 B's and the rest C's.
    Hoping for AABa for Chemistry, Biology, English and Maths in August but meh, I was more into playing super smash brothers than revising during GCSE lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    I'm sort of like that. I'm good at exams, but don't feel smart. But then, I'm not sure if truly intelligent people feel that way too lol. :p:
    You don't necessarily have to be clever to pass exams, just have a good memory (however this may not apply to all exams). Not saying you're not intelligent though! We should go and find Stephen Hawking and ask him what he thinks about his intelligence :p:

ReputationRep:
    You should get good grades to achieve stuff in life, to get you university places, self-fulfillment, to learn and feel good about yourself. So it's important to get good grades in this respect.

But don't go bragging about them. Don't tell people them until they ask. That's what I do. Be modest and generally people will view you in a good way and not a snobbish/arrogant way.

GCSE and A Level grades are largely meaningless once you've finished university. Employers can usually tell what grades you've got by the quality of your university, how hard/competitive your degree is and what final grade you got for it.

ReputationRep:
    Well you're evidently by nature very intelligent to attain 12A*s (despite what you say!) but yes GCSEs are much too easy. You can, as you say, quite easily put in very little effort and still come out with apparently stunning results and that surely isn't right. They need to be harder. In the sciences i seem to remember learning about many things but in very little detail leaving me in fact feeling as though i'd learnt nothing.

And history - we could quite easily have covered the entire two year syllabus in two months; the amount you had to know was so minimal it was ridiculous. No wonder everyone spent every history lesson pissing about.

The exams partly seem so easy because you spend both year 10 and 11 preparing for them - everything is syllabus driven meaning you only learn exactly what you need to know for each exam, which for most subjects wasn't very much. English was perhaps a bit of an exception. While we were undoubtedly working towards the exams, we were also taking in info and ideas that would not be 'necessary' in the exam itself. I felt in English that i was actually learning and using what i'd learnt to further myself rather than just remembering pieces of info, as was the case in most subjects.

I personally think GCSEs should change so that the average student sits, say, five or six exams rather than the ten to twelve or thirteen many sit. Students would have to learn about subjects in much more detail and face much harder and more open ended questions requiring candidates to use their own initiative rather then just spew out half-learnt info using the 'right' exam technique that their teachers have spent two years ramming into their heads. Exams should be a reflection of a student's ability to think rather than simply recollect.

On the A-Level front. Hmmmmmm, well they are definitely much more difficult than GCSEs but should probably be harder than they are. Something like a quarter of all grades awarded are As and that's not very useful to employers or universities. As with GCSEs, the biggest problem is that the focus is on exams and exam technique rather than learning. I got to the ludicrous stage in sociology (a subject that is much too easy) where i was asking my teachers whether I'd included enough AO2 in my essays. Assessment objectives take centre stage at A-Level (though again seemingly less so in English) rather than actual learning. It's all about trying to 'please the examiner'. it's ridiculous.

Having 12 A*s is not a bad thing. It's a great achievement and well done to you But really you should have had to work harder to attain them.

ReputationRep:
    I worked a bit for my GCSEs and got 10 A*s and an A, but then I started the IB and realised that life isn't quite so straight forward :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xSkyFire)
    Hoping for AABa for Chemistry, Biology, English and Maths in August but meh, I was more into playing super smash brothers than revising during GCSE lol.
    Dude , you got 4 A's how is that rubbish ?.

ReputationRep:
    You should be proud of your results. It's a good thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xSkyFire)
    This annoys me.

What's wrong, you passed all and got some A's!! WITHOUT TRYING apparently. Why yes your a failure. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skye333)
    This annoys me.

What's wrong, you passed all and got some A's!! WITHOUT TRYING apparently. Why yes your a failure. :mad:
    lol I didn't mean it in that way, it's just I fail in comparison to so many of the applicants for the higher up unis with their 10 A*'s. I want to apply for medicine and my GCSE's just look disturbing compared to everyone else. D;

ReputationRep:
    I'm the other way round! I feel that I understand/know things pretty well throughout the year but I never really "try" in exams - I can't remember the last time I tried "my best" even though I've just done my GCSEs :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hallix)
    Haha be pleased with those grades and tbh *not gloating* i'm hoping to get good grades and i have a great social life, i've been out every weekend bar one this holidays and i've been going into town/cinema with friends in the weekdays and although its toned down when its school time. I still can enjoy myself.

Also to add to the case that the no social life thing is not true, loads of my friends are predicted great grades all in the regions of 8,9,10,11,12 A*'s and they also have good social lives. Although when i came on tsr it is clear to see that with some people its all grades, which i find a bit disappointing since they are missing out on the most fun bit of their lives with the delusion that it's automatically going to get better.

Anyways, lost track a bit, you will find loads of people saying GCSE's are easy, i know someone who did very little work for them and got 12A*'s and i know someone, albeit on tsr, that worked 8 hours a day during study leave and got 11A*'s. It's all subjective, personally I did twelve and i didn't find my timetable/exam clashes fun at all.

Plus, I don't tend to look down on people with good grades, quite the opposite, i respect them a bit more for (in most cases) putting effort in that got them such excellent grades.

Also, remember your grades are excellent and people are going to be jealous
    Depends on the person really, if the person is very arrogant and boastful about their results (must be said with intention not accidental) then this is trhe case were i would not like such people.

However, in your case i see nothing wrong, you humble about your results and i respect you for that. The exam/revision thign is stupid, some people don't need to do a lot of revision because their work was put in during class time months beforehand whereas some need thast little reminder. Judging someone on that would be like saying somebody is crazy because they use a blue instead of black pen.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the person, some people get straight A*/A's with minimal revision, some revise until they can't sleep without thinking about revision. You get out what you put in, some people need to put in less and some need to put in more. I look at the difficulty of exams like this; the thought of Year 2 SAT's seemed hard, so did Year 6 SAT's, so did Year 9 SAT's, so did GCSE's, I'm sure AS and then A levels will seem hard, but whenever I look back it always seemed quite tolerable/easy and a huge fuss was created due to the hype of the moment. Fortunately I was not born in the age where tests were 'amazingly difficult' as seen by the previous generations, but it's the tests of my time and I can't really be bothered to take up the level of difficulty of exams with any government in power, I'll leave that to teachers.

(EDIT) Although, I find making a modular syllabus for History in 2010 a crime on Edexcels part, why reduce what's left of History into modules?

ReputationRep:
    I'd be pleased, regardless of what other people think. You should be proud of your results

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skye333)
    This annoys me.

Hmm, well I guess this is just a difference in background. I would also consider these pretty bad grades, but I guess it depends on the quality of your education and the amount of money your parents are paying for you to do well (not that state-school kids don't do well, I'm just saying that if you have that kind of impetus you will tend to want to do better).

About the 12 A*s, I don't think people will necessarily look down at you so long as they are reasonably open-minded. How you can do that without trying is pretty astonishing to me. As for you being equally intelligent to an average student a few years ago, that is CERTAINLY not the case. Yes, exams were harder, but they were not THAT much harder, and most people just got lower grades back then anyway. If you can do that well, you probably have an awesome memory, or you probably just did all the work in lessons and kept it in your head. Be aware that A-level is slightly different.

Also, keep in mind that Unis may not like the fact that you have so many A*s. I'm not sure if this is true, but I gather that Oxbridge in particular believe in "developing potential" rather than "honing a finished product". You do have twice the number necessary, but I'm sure it wouldn't hold you back if you were otherwise a good candidate though. Just try to persuade them that you're not cleverer than them and you'll be fine.:/

ReputationRep:
    i was addicted to call of duty during gcses, but i managed to get a*aaaabbbbcd, which doesn't sound that bad.. but i could have done a lot better on my coursework, which i put very little effort in!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.