Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ive been trying to work out how much i'll need a month (minus accommodation and tuition fees) to have at uni.
    Ive read the recommendations but some of the figures seem overexaggerated to me! I wanted to ask how much do you guys spend a month at uni for food/sport/books/transport/drink etc please?

At the moment, Im thinking around the 300 quid mark a month?

ReputationRep:
    :-o i am planning to spend double this! And have been working non stop to be able to! be interesting to see what people think.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be living a bit tight from the start, I'm already starting to fully prepare myself for Newcastle, just hope I get a job when I get there aswell the sooner the better even if it is in freshers week

ReputationRep:
    You can live on £80 a month.

ReputationRep:
    u can't live off £13 a week though...

well u can I've done it before, but hopefully I'm gonna get more off student finance this time, and find a job very very quickly!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ND6)
    :-o i am planning to spend double this! And have been working non stop to be able to! be interesting to see what people think.
    You wanna spend £600 a month?! Are you planning on caviar, cuban cigars and high class hookers every night?

You get about 3K a year in living costs loan. So £3000/12=£250.
    The vast majority of students can get by on £250 a month, with some getting additional help from parents or a part time job. In all likeliness you will probably splurge a lot in the first month as well, so the latter months are likely to be <£250.

This is all assuming that you are paying your rent without using you living costs loan though. If you have to use some of it for rent, then you will need to live more frugally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hoonosewot)
    You wanna spend £600 a month?! Are you planning on caviar, cuban cigars and high class hookers every night?

The vast majority of students will get by on £250 a month, with some getting additional help from parents or a part time job. In all likeliness you will probably splurge a lot in the first month as well, so the latter months are likely to be <£250.

This is all assuming that you are paying your rent without using you living costs loan though. If you have to use some of it for rent, then you will need to live more frugally.
    won't alot of that be spent on rent? cheapest halls of res is £2,700

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSophist)
    won't alot of that be spent on rent? cheapest halls of res is £2,700
    I said at the bottom that i was making the assumption that the loan wasn't used for rent, a lot of people have parental help, bursaries, scholarships etc for that.

To be honest it's all a bit hard to judge because some people get more money than others. In general though, £300 a month is plenty to live on for food, drink, entertainment, studies etc. I think last year i lived on about £150 a month.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks people. I think books and transport is a major part of my budget then ive set food at 150 quid a month? how does that sound?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AppleandMangoPie)
    Thanks people. I think books and transport is a major part of my budget then ive set food at 150 quid a month? how does that sound?
    That's about £35 a week, based on a 30 day month. I think that's should be more than enough for food alone, and should buy you toiletries, maybe some transport as well.

ReputationRep:
    Rent and bills: approx £300 per month, although this obv varies from place to place.

I try and limit everything else to £50 per week, but occasionally go over, esp when i buy things like text books etc.

My top tip to cut expenses: bring a hip flask.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hoonosewot)

The vast majority of students can get by on £250 a month, with some getting additional help from parents or a part time job. In all likeliness you will probably splurge a lot in the first month as well, so the latter months are likely to be <£250.

no body is taking into account clothes it seems most people are looking at food and transport and going out, but realistically there are sports tours, clothes and many other things that money is spent on, but cuban cigars and caviar... sounds good to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scaryhair)
    That's about £35 a week, based on a 30 day month. I think that's should be more than enough for food alone, and should buy you toiletries, maybe some transport as well.
    awesome! well i think thats what i'll do for at least the first 2 months until it really becomes clear how much i need! Thanks for all the help

ReputationRep:
    Speaking as someone who is now entering her 3rd University discipline (and no...I didn't drop out, I passed the other 2 with flying colours); for one person £35 per week should be fine.

My partner and myself will both be students, and after accounting for rent and bills etc we've allocated ourselves £25 per week between us for food. If we can manage on that between us, I'm sure a single person can manage on £35.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrs_Grynch)
    Speaking as someone who is now entering her 3rd University discipline (and no...I didn't drop out, I passed the other 2 with flying colours); for one person £35 per week should be fine.

My partner and myself will both be students, and after accounting for rent and bills etc we've allocated ourselves £25 per week between us for food. If we can manage on that between us, I'm sure a single person can manage on £35.

that gives me a lot of hope thanks for that, but I will be entering a long distance relationship

ReputationRep:
    Oh bloody hell, £150 a month for food are you serious?!?! Even if you bought everything in M&S that's still way too much! Say £20-30 a week MAX for food, even if you are self catered. It doesnt actually make much different if you are in catered because you need to buy lunches out which costs more, and fresh food every weekend.

I had £250 a month and was fine, always had excess. And that was including clothes, trips and stuff.

What are you studying and what accomm have you applied for? I doubt you'll need to buy many textbooks; I spent £100 at the beginning of the year, that was it. As for transport if you are in Leazes, Ricky Road, Marris House, Windsort Terrace or Victoria Halls you really are only looking at taxis back from a night out - everything else is in easy walking distance!

Honestly the idea of a student living on £600 a month not inc. accomm makes me ill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueRoses)
    Oh bloody hell, £150 a month for food are you serious?!?! Even if you bought everything in M&S that's still way too much! Say £20-30 a week MAX for food, even if you are self catered. It doesnt actually make much different if you are in catered because you need to buy lunches out which costs more, and fresh food every weekend.

I had £250 a month and was fine, always had excess. And that was including clothes, trips and stuff.

What are you studying and what accomm have you applied for? I doubt you'll need to buy many textbooks; I spent £100 at the beginning of the year, that was it. As for transport if you are in Leazes, Ricky Road, Marris House, Windsort Terrace or Victoria Halls you really are only looking at taxis back from a night out - everything else is in easy walking distance!

Honestly the idea of a student living on £600 a month not inc. accomm makes me ill.
    Medicine ive pmmed u inthe past it hink! thanks for the help although 30 a week is still 130 quid but i will lower my budget!
    Textbook wise did u borrow a lot form the library? Are there plenty of copies? Which textooks did u buy?
    Ive applied to marris house and windsor so hopefully isok but i have massive transport cost to get from uni to home (i live in the south..)
    i think im going to take 300 for the first few months (accounting for freshers week and joining societies/buying books) then ill lower it to 250 thanks for the help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AppleandMangoPie)
    Medicine ive pmmed u inthe past it hink! thanks for the help although 30 a week is still 130 quid but i will lower my budget!
    Textbook wise did u borrow a lot form the library? Are there plenty of copies? Which textooks did u buy?
    Ive applied to marris house and windsor so hopefully isok but i have massive transport cost to get from uni to home (i live in the south..)
    i think im going to take 300 for the first few months (accounting for freshers week and joining societies/buying books) then ill lower it to 250 thanks for the help!

Oh right yeah, thought I recognised the name...

I bought Gray's Anatomy, Kumar & Clark and Sociology As Applied to Medicine (we were told to). Haven't looked at K&C once but you will need an anatomy book - wait til you get there to decide which suits you best. And yeah the library is really good, I took a physiology book out at the beginning of January and had it for the rest of the year.

I guess 300 then 250 is a good idea .

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone estimate how many books you have to buy and how much they (about) cost? I'm doing history... Should I count £200ish for books? :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aina)
    Can anyone estimate how many books you have to buy and how much they (about) cost? I'm doing history... Should I count £200ish for books? :s
    Not sure, the amount of books really depends on the course. Try looking on your schools website, to see if they have any reading lists. Most books can be found in the Library anyway.

As for living costs. I spent at most £20 a week on food. That was my only major expense really other than rent and drinking. Which brings me on to my next point.

Most of your money is probably going to be spent on alcohol! I spent at least 100 quid during freshers. Normally spend about 25 quid on each night out as well (of which there are many).

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.