Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would I Ever Make It In Hollywood As An Arab? Watch

• View Poll Results: Would I Make It In Hollywood As An Arab/Muslim Movie Director/Writer?
    You can make it, this is not a problem anymore.
    28.85%
    Go for it, you never know.
    28.85%
    Don't run the risk of this, at least have a safety job first.
    32.69%
    Forget it, you'll never make it because there are, indeed Jewish people who won't let you go far, and no one will work with you.
    36.54%

ReputationRep:
    Don't think of it has a hinderance.

Think of it as your Unique Selling Point

ReputationRep:
    I don't think your religion or ethnic origin would negatively influence your chances...
    but you probably have a very very slim chance as it is already.
    I bet almost everyone would choose to work in Hollywood if they could... but only a tiny tiny percentage make it to that level.

My dream is to be an actress, and I'm going to give it my all, but you never know it takes luck as well as determination and talent sometimes!

ReputationRep:
    If this was an ask the audience question, you'd be screwed.

Personally, the chances of you being able to do something are greatly improved if you think you can, so go for it.

ReputationRep:
    Chances are a lot of the roles you'd get would be ones where they were specifically looking for an arab to play them...that said, theres a lot of films and tv programmes that require arab roles these days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adnan Al Alawi)
    As the title states, would I ever make it in Hollywood as an Arab? Basicly, I'm a Bahraini Muslim who has a great passion for movies and thinks and has been told to have a talent for it. Basicly, I want to write and direct movies in Hollywood as opposed to doing it locally, because movies and TV shows here just SUCK; and I despise the whole thing.

Anyways, I have around 17 script ideas, some not fully developed but I have at least 6 of them that I know would definetly come to be something; but that doesn't worry me for the time being, I know the risks of no success in the business because some movies never make the theatres, but is dealt with from another angle. But the thing is, my parents want me to study business or accounting, which I had originally set to do, but I realized that it wasn't at all what I wanted.

The thing is, I'm scared about not getting my scripts or me directing the movie in Hollywood. I'm going to speak frankly, which may result in your anger; but I am often told and assured, that many of the companies and the people who finance the movies or work in making them, are Jewish people; in Hollywood. This leads to the assumption that no one will buy my scripts or hire me to be a director, despite any future studies or majors in filmmaking and so on. This, eventually, leads me to question my decision about studying Film & Theatre.

My question is, despite any future shortcomings about my movies or if I become a good movie director/writer, do you think that there are actually many Jewish people in Hollywood, most of which, if not all, will not grant me any finance for my movies or buy my scripts and whatnot, despite the quality of the script and my work; and yes, I thought about how they don't want muslims spreading their theories in Hollywood, but I already decided upon myself that when I do my movies, I will market it in a way to make it viewable by the global and American audience; which I do by not including Islamic views and values [nothing apparent, that would definetly be classified as islamic] or basing my script on Christian characters and based on the culture of Americans and other popular societies such as the British.

Now, do you KNOW or THINK that I'll ever make it there as a movie director/writer, for the simple fact that I'm an Arab muslim? Or is the world more global now, where I do not have the risk of this indecency?

Any comment, advice, answer or general feedback is welcome; I am very torn by this dilemma which can result in the reality of me not reaching for the dreams of which I have so passionately fended off my parents' conflict of interest to pursue.
    Try Bollywood first, then Hollywood... bollywood would give you some experience that Hollywood are looking for

ReputationRep:
    As the title states, would I ever make it in Hollywood as an Arab? Basicly, I'm a Bahraini Muslim who has a great passion for movies and thinks and has been told to have a talent for it. Basicly, I want to write and direct movies in Hollywood as opposed to doing it locally, because movies and TV shows here just SUCK; and I despise the whole thing.

Anyways, I have around 17 script ideas, some not fully developed but I have at least 6 of them that I know would definetly come to be something; but that doesn't worry me for the time being, I know the risks of no success in the business because some movies never make the theatres, but is dealt with from another angle. But the thing is, my parents want me to study business or accounting, which I had originally set to do, but I realized that it wasn't at all what I wanted.

The thing is, I'm scared about not getting my scripts or me directing the movie in Hollywood. I'm going to speak frankly, which may result in your anger; but I am often told and assured, that many of the companies and the people who finance the movies or work in making them, are Jewish people; in Hollywood. This leads to the assumption that no one will buy my scripts or hire me to be a director, despite any future studies or majors in filmmaking and so on. This, eventually, leads me to question my decision about studying Film & Theatre.

My question is, despite any future shortcomings about my movies or if I become a good movie director/writer, do you think that there are actually many Jewish people in Hollywood, most of which, if not all, will not grant me any finance for my movies or buy my scripts and whatnot, despite the quality of the script and my work; and yes, I thought about how they don't want muslims spreading their theories in Hollywood, but I already decided upon myself that when I do my movies, I will market it in a way to make it viewable by the global and American audience; which I do by not including Islamic views and values [nothing apparent, that would definetly be classified as islamic] or basing my script on Christian characters and based on the culture of Americans and other popular societies such as the British.

Now, do you KNOW or THINK that I'll ever make it there as a movie director/writer, for the simple fact that I'm an Arab muslim? Or is the world more global now, where I do not have the risk of this indecency?

Any comment, advice, answer or general feedback is welcome; I am very torn by this dilemma which can result in the reality of me not reaching for the dreams of which I have so passionately fended off my parents' conflict of interest to pursue.
    mate best of luck to you.

But I doubt anyone on TSR knows a flying f*ck about how Hollywood works - heck most them are Brits.

Give it your best shot, and if you luck goes your way you will succeed, if not then you will be in good company and will probably have a successful future in another field that requires imagination and good writing skills.

ReputationRep:
    You are from Bahrain, i doubt you are an Arab.

ReputationRep:
    there are plenty of arabs in holywood!

* Paula Abdul, Grammy winning singer, Emmy winning choreographer, and host of American Idol (Syrian Jewish father)
    * Moustapha Akkad, a Syrian-American film producer
    * Ferras Alqaisi, Jordanian American singer-song writer
    * Paul Anka, singer and songwriter (Lebanese)[16]
    * Jim Avila (half Lebanese), correspondent for ABC News "20/20"
    * Jeff Becerra (Arab Mexican origin), Death metal musician
    * Yasmine Bleeth (Algerian Jewish descent), actress/model
    * **** Dale, surf rock guitarist (Lebanese father) [17]
    * Jenna Dewan (1980 - ), film/TV actress (Step Up)[18]
    * Mohammed El-Bakkar, Lebanese immigrant to Brooklyn, singer, band-leader
    * Shannon Elizabeth (1973 - ), film actress ("American Pie", "Scary Movie")[19]
    * Jamie Farr, character actor, Lebanese[20]
    * Farrah Fawcett actress (Lebanese ancestry)
    * Hala Gorani, CNN anchor (French Syrian) [21]
    * Khrystyne Haje
    * Sammy Hagar, Rock musician
    * Lama Hasan, ABC News anchor
    * Salma Hayek, actress (Mexican father of Lebanese blood), born in Mexico-works in US
    * Anissa Jones, actress (Lebanese grandparents)
    * Aron Kader, comedian (Palestinian ancestry)
    * Casey Kasem, radio personality and voice actor [22]
    * Kerri Kasem, TV hostess
    * Amy Fadhli, fitness model, actress (Iraqi father) and winner of the Fitness America National Champion 1996
    * Catherine Keener, Lebanese ancestry
    * Khaled Khaled, a.k.a. DJ Khaled popular Hip-Hop DJ for Fat Joe's Terror Squad group (Palestinian ancestry)
    * Herbert Khaury, aka Tiny Tim (Lebanese father) [23]
    * Hoda Kotb, Egyptian decent, NBC's Today show host
    * Kurtis Mantronik, born Kurtis el Khaleel, remixer and producer, founding member of 1980's old school hip hop group Mantronix (Syrian father)
    * Kristy McNichol, co-star on "Family" and "Empty Nest" [24]
    * Mika, half-Lebanese
    * Wentworth Miller, starring role as Michael Scofield in the Fox Network television series "Prison Break"(Syrian-Lebanese from Mothers side)[25]
    * Kathy Najimy, actress of Lebanese descent [26]
    * George Noory (1950 - ), radio broadcaster, as of 2006, the weekday host of the late-night paranormal-themed radio talk show Coast to Coast AM.[27]
    * Jehane Noujaim[28]
    * Michael Nouri
    * Naomi Shihab Nye[29]
    * Dean Obeidallah [30]
    * Heather Raffo, actress/playwright (Iraqi father)
    * Tom Shadyac
    * Jerry Seinfeld Golden Globe- and Emmy Award-winning comedian (Syrian Sephardic Jewish Mother)[31]
    * Shakira, her father is a Lebanese immigrant and her mother a native of Colombia
    * Tony Shalhoub (1953 - ), three-time Emmy Award-winning television and film actor (Monk)[32]
    * Alia Shawkat, actress (Iraqi father)
    * Soraya, diva (mother is part-Lebanese)
    * James Stacy
    * Vic Tayback, actor, Syrian
    * Paola Turbay, actress (father is of Lebanese descent)
    * Danny Thomas, actor, Lebanese [33]
    * Marlo Thomas, half Lebanese
    * Tony Thomas, half Lebanese
    * Vince Vaughn, Lebanese ancestry
    * Elliott Yamin, singer (Iraqi Jewish father)
    * Amy Yasbeck, half Lebanese
    * David Yazbek, half Lebanese
    * Frank Zappa (part Lebanese father)[34]
    * Zaida Ben-Yusuf(1869-1933) was an American portrait photographer. Ben-Yusuf was born in London to an Algerian Muslim father and a German mother of Algerian descent. She immigrated to New York in 1897.[14]
    * DJ Khaled- an american rapper/producer/songwriter whose parents are both Palestinian.His birth name is Khaled Khalid
    * F. Murray Abraham, Oscar award winner for role in Amadeus
    * Omar Sharif

although i must say, there is not many gulf arabs in holllywood!

ReputationRep:
    Hmm well they've already brought out lots of movies about 9/11 so you missed your chance there.

But they're bound to be making more movies about the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan soon enough so yeah I guess you have the chance to land some parts.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    @ Foxo: You don't get it, 95% of all TV shows here are drama, where EVERYTHING THAT CAN GO WRONG HAS, the lack of camera angles coordination, the overblown drama, the same dilemmas shared in all the shows, the same acting dimension; the concentration on Egyptian accents over the other arabic ones, and much more to cry about. I'm quite the movie fanatic, and my knowledge of foreign cultures is all but feeble.

@ BillyPilgrim: Grow up, this is serious.

@ Roberto_Ferrari: Name me one famous Arab in Hollywood.
    @ Francescarella: The lack of trainning and so on has more to do with me not having studied yet, that can be managed if I choose to pursue this career. The lack of contacts isn't really something new; people need to do low key stuff before they get to do big projects; and there are people who are agents, they set you up.

@ The other likes of BillyPilgrim, if all you have is an annoying comment which has to do with racial profiling, please don't. These threads aren't for trolling.
    Is Oren Aviv an Arab? he's head of production at walt disney studios (currently producing pirates of the caribbean 4)

if you are planning on getting relevant training as well as starting out small, then i see no reason why you don;t stand as much a chance as anyone else. but seriously, it has nothing to do with you being an Arab. if the talent and contacts are there, with sheer dogged persistence then something will come of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by francescarella)
    Is Oren Aviv an Arab? he's head of production at walt disney studios .
    "Oren is a Hebrew Old Testament name meaning ash or pine"
    "According to the Torah, Aviv is the first month of the Hebrew calendar"
    "The "Holiday of Aviv" (Hebrew: Chag Ha'Aviv חג האביב‎ ) is an additional name for Passover;"

So he is obviously Arabic.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.