Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Your Food Questions/Conundrums Answered Watch

ReputationRep:
    I like to think of myself as a bit of a cuisine facionado, the food I prepare I feel is deserving a number of michelin stars and I'm happiest and most relaxed when rattling some pots and pans.

I have many many years experience with food and drink of all varieties so I will attempt to answer any and all food related questions and conundrums that you may have.

ReputationRep:
    how to prepare and cook fugu?

ReputationRep:
    and honestly, deserving of a few michelin stars....honestly, perhaps ur exaggerating just a little bit. Do u own a restaurant?

ReputationRep:
    So Trouser Snake...

Do you know how to make Iyan and Efo (google it)

What about akara hmmm...

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, If you don't quote my posts I don't get alerted that anyones responded!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacepirate-James)
    how to prepare and cook fugu?
    I've eaten fugu but never have prepared it, nor would i want to since the chefs who sell it to the public have years of training to aquire the license.

If I had to at gun point my attempt would be to strip the meat of the skin and organs and thoroughly wash it.

ReputationRep:
    and honestly, deserving of a few michelin stars....honestly, perhaps ur exaggerating just a little bit. Do u own a restaurant?
    You don't need to own a restaurant or cook on a mass scale the same dish over and over to be a good cook.

There are plenty of cooks out there to rival the likes of gordon ramsey or Oliver who have never stepped into a commercial kitchen or in front of a camera.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sango)
    So Trouser Snake...

Do you know how to make Iyan and Efo (google it)

What about akara hmmm...
    I've certainly heard of them, and I certainly wouldn't actually want to make them because they don't appeal to me.

And it's not hard to find out how to make them by googling, but the answer is I wouldn't want to make them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trouser Snake)
    You don't need to own a restaurant or cook on a mass scale the same dish over and over to be a good cook.

There are plenty of cooks out there to rival the likes of gordon ramsey or Oliver who have never stepped into a commercial kitchen or in front of a camera.
    yes, i dont debate the fact, that there are many better cooks out there than celebrity chefs. I just meant, if ur that good then surely u could open a restaurant and watch the money roll in

ReputationRep:
    yes, i dont debate the fact, that there are many better cooks out there than celebrity chefs. I just meant, if ur that good then surely u could open a restaurant and watch the money roll in
    If I had the money capital to actually open it in the first place then i would, but I wouldn't be in there sweating and cooking on a mass scale. I prefer to cook for a handful of people who i can see enjoying their meals.

One day tho, I will own a small bistro bar.

ReputationRep:
    How would you make the best pasta sauce?

Natural as possible, meaning no additives/colourings/processed things.

ReputationRep:
    How about pineapple fingers?

ReputationRep:

Working in a commercial kitchen is so much different to working in your kitchen at home though.
    Can you cook a michelin star worthy meal, with a full resturant and 8 checks on the go, in the heat, letting everyone know in that kitchen where you are on your section and acknowlegding every other person, as well as knowing exactly what is happening front of house?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deano-101)

chopped tomatos, garlic, diced red onion, diced pepper, a chilli or two if you like it spicy, pinch of salt and black pepper, basil.

shove it all in a pan, simmer for bout 20mins, and blitz in a food processor.

ReputationRep:
    The only thing I have to contribute is: poison, poison, tasty fish.

(Original post by King Pieb)
    chopped tomatos, garlic, diced red onion, diced pepper, a chilli or two if you like it spicy, pinch of salt and black pepper, basil.
    Apparently you shouldn't put garlic and onion together. According to the Italians. And stick the basil in at the end, it's not a hard herb.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deano-101)

Now that is a good question!

Depends what type of sauce you would like, I'll tell you a good one for a tomato one.

Start with heating some olive oil gently in a heavy based frying pan. Add some finely chopped/diced red onion. Season. Cook the onions for quite a long time (6min) as they release their sweetness at this stage but make sure they stay golden and translucent in appearance, rather than caramelised.

Then crush 2 large garlic cloves and a quarter of a large red chilly pepper and add to the pan, cooking for a further 2 min being careful that they do not burn.

Now turn the heat up high and straight away add a splash of dry to medium white wine, stir and turn down the heat again.

Now add the tomatoes. The tomatoes would be ideally some vine ripened ones, leave them submerged in boiling water for 2 min then take out and peel of their skins easily. Chopping them into quarters then adding to the pan.

At the same time add some finely diced sweet pepper to the pan.

Now simmer very gently for 20 min, ideally covered. If sauce loses too much liquid add a little water or vegetable stock.

2 min before end of cooking time season again and also add fresh torn basil and finely chopped flat leaf parsely.

Serve the sauce with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.

A very fresh, tasty and healthy basic tomato sauce.

ReputationRep:
    I like to think of myself as a bit of a cuisine facionado, the food I prepare I feel is deserving a number of michelin stars and I'm happiest and most relaxed when rattling some pots and pans.

I have many many years experience with food and drink of all varieties so I will attempt to answer any and all food related questions and conundrums that you may have.
    Ok, so im going to be home alone for two weeks :woo: but im relatively a beginner in the kitchen?

But i really hate ready meals so what recipes can u recommend for 1-2 people thats really simple, quick, healthy to make? And also our kitchen isnt the best stocked, so we do have basic foods, just not a lot of spices etc... but we do have lots of rice :yep: this isnt making it easier :p:

lol i really do appreciate the help! thx!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Entangled)
    The only thing I have to contribute is: poison, poison, tasty fish.

Apparently you shouldn't put garlic and onion together. According to the Italians. And stick the basil in at the end, it's not a hard herb.

Really? Never heard that before. Saying this, I have just made a tomato pasta sauce, and i always put garlic and onion together, tastes fine to me buuut if the italians say it and it is there food, must be right!

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so im going to be home alone for two weeks :woo: but im relatively a beginner in the kitchen?

But i really hate ready meals so what recipes can u recommend for 1-2 people thats really simple, quick, healthy to make? And also our kitchen isnt the best stocked, so we do have basic foods, just not a lot of spices etc... but we do have lots of rice :yep: this isnt making it easier :p:

lol i really do appreciate the help! thx!
    A whole roast chicken is cheap and relatively easy to roast in the oven with some mashed potatoes and peas or sweetcorn.

Chilly Con Carne is another thats very easy.

Try a stir fry, if you want some more ideas or finer details, let me know.

ReputationRep:
    A whole roast chicken is cheap and relatively easy to roast in the oven with some mashed potatoes and peas or sweetcorn.

Chilly Con Carne is another thats very easy.

Try a stir fry, if you want some more ideas or finer details, let me know.
    thx

chilly con carne sounds nice :yep:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.