Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Best way to curl hair without using curling tongs? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically I want my hair to be a bit wavey/curly, but without using anything that will damage my hair

ReputationRep:
    Curlers? :P I'd suggest a Straightener but you don't want to damage your hair so I suppose it's not an option?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Missmeem)
    Curlers? :P I'd suggest a Straightener but you don't want to damage your hair so I suppose it's not an option?
    No, trying not to use heat on my hair (a hairdresser cut it with a razor almost 2 years ago and I still suffer with split ends because of it and have to be really careful with what I do with my hair!).

ReputationRep:
    plait it when its wet, and it will go slightly wavy/curly. if theres any frizz use serum (y)

ReputationRep:
    Eat your crusts...

ReputationRep:
    you could try braiding it overnight or drying it with a curling brush, but I'm not sure how effective that would be.

ReputationRep:
    could u like plait it then curl them round and pin them up before you go to bed?

ReputationRep:
    Use heat protection spray! and if your hairdresser cut your like that 2 years ago and you've since had it cut properly, that's not what's causing your bad hair. Do you heep your hair clean and tidy and not do things like back-combing? Use intensive conditioning masks - they make hair lovely
    You could section your hair into small sections (maybe divide your whole hair into about 10 sections) and twist them into buns when wet. Then let the hair dry, undo the little buns and spray with hairspray

ReputationRep:
    wash your hair in the evening, without using too much conditioner as i find this makes the waves fall out. whilst wet, without any drying, scrunch hair repeateadly until the curls become defined. then you can either plait tightly (better when french plaited) or screw up into a high bun. if you do the bun, it's a bit more effort but looks more natural i think, making sure it's tight and scrunched up. when you wake up the next morning take out all clips/bands and it will still be quite damp, scrunch a bit, then apply mousse. i then apply quite a lot of mousse and curling spray (tresemmé, really good!) if i want it curly rather than wavey. Sometimes the front bits need a quick curl with a tong but the rest is fine, especially if you separate the layers (or fake this), ie. clipping the sides up so the curls look like they fall at different levels - especially at the back this makes it really curly.

For some really curly bits, get a few wet strands before hand and coil them up into a spiral then simply pin to the head. these go really curly!

Hope this makes sense, is easier than it sounds! I love doing this to my hair.

ReputationRep:
    Those little curling thingamajigs... like little sponges that u twist ur hair around. Then blow dry :ahee:
    And use curling mousse or hairspray to hold if ur hair isnt naturally curly.

ReputationRep:
    you'd have to pin them, or plait them whilst wet before you go to bed - which can be somewhat uncomfortable.

ReputationRep:
    Wash your hair before bed, don't dry it, and put in bendy curlers. Then you sleep with the curlers in, take them out when you wake up in morning, and you have curly hair. Bit of hairspray and they stay in pretty well all day.
    I tend to put the curlers in, then use the hairdryer for 5-10 minutes so it's not quite as wet and minging for when I'm going to sleep.

ReputationRep:
    If you put into the youtube search bar "curls no heat" theres loads of videos with different techniques to try depending how much curl you want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sadie-kiki)
    Use heat protection spray! and if your hairdresser cut your like that 2 years ago and you've since had it cut properly, that's not what's causing your bad hair. Do you heep your hair clean and tidy and not do things like back-combing? Use intensive conditioning masks - they make hair lovely
    You could section your hair into small sections (maybe divide your whole hair into about 10 sections) and twist them into buns when wet. Then let the hair dry, undo the little buns and spray with hairspray
    I do this and it makes my hair really curly

ReputationRep:
    Do loads of little braids and leave it over night

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all your help

if your hairdresser cut your like that 2 years ago and you've since had it cut properly, that's not what's causing your bad hair. Do you heep your hair clean and tidy and not do things like back-combing?
    Yeh it's taken so long to get back to the condition it used to be - sometimes I backcomb it, sometimes I straighten it, sometimes I curl it.... :woo: But I'm trying so hard to keep it looking good, the split ends have got gradually better and I don't suffer with them as much as I did when I first got it cut. My hair is just quite fine, and the razor damaged it really badly... oh well!
    I think I'm going to try plaiting it and then putting it into little buns! I've never used so many kirby grips in all my life... :p:

ReputationRep:
    Maybe rollers. Or if your hair does have a slight curl or wave to it you can just use a little mousse and scrunch it whilst blowdrying.

ReputationRep:
    You could section your hair into small sections (maybe divide your whole hair into about 10 sections) and twist them into buns when wet. Then let the hair dry, undo the little buns and spray with hairspray :)
    This really works, sometimes even too much. Looks lovely the next morning

ReputationRep:
    mouse it and then scrunch it up

ReputationRep:
    plait it before you go to bed and when you wake up it'll be lovely and wavy i'm gonna do this soon haven't done it since i was like 10 lol

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.