Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Why is drinking a surfeit of water purported to be so great? I am doing something similar to the Volvic 14 day challenge; I'm doing it for 14 days but I'm using any water (not just Volvic) and I'm drinking 3l instead of 1.5l. So far I have found that drinking water doesn't have many benefits. There's no difference between this and simply drinking to satiate thirst, except I go to the bathroom every 5-15 minutes rather than every 30-60 minutes. So can anyone tell me what is supposed to be so great about drinking a lot of water?

ReputationRep:
    it flushes out your system.
    eventually you wont need to go to the bathroom so often because your body will get used to the ammout of water you're drinking and you'll feel the benefits.
    probably best to drink 1.5l like the experts say though; overdoing it can be bad for you.

ReputationRep:
    apparently too much water is poisonous...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacepirate-James)
    apparently too much water is poisonous...
    Too much water can kill you...

ReputationRep:
    The more Volvic you buy, the more their shares are worth. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    I drink 4.5 - 6 litres of water a day, I do it because I like water. I don't feel any different now to when I didn't drink loads of water, think it's a load of ******** made up by the water brands to sell more tbh.

ReputationRep:
    This is a load of rubbish. There is no benefit to drinking this much water. Believe it or not, you should just drink water when you are thirsty.

ReputationRep:
    I always used to concentrate in French lessons better with a bottle of water...don't know if it was a placebo effect thouh

ReputationRep:
    I pretty much drank 1.5L of lemon and lime sugarfree Volvic water a day, but with no benefits, really.

I guess I burnt off calories going to the bathroom so often though :P

It also made my skin a little clearer.

ReputationRep:
    It flushes out any toxins, which your meant to do anyway. (detox). It also hydrates your skin, and improves well being aswell.

But dont drink too much, as you should know that can be fatal.

ReputationRep:
    Even if you don't drink anything, there's still a certain volume of water that you must excrete every day - so if you don't drink plenty, you'll dehydrate yourself, leading to headaches, tiredness, poor skin etc. You need plenty of water to help eliminate toxins and keep your kidneys working well, to keep yourself 'regular' - and it can help stop you over-eating as often people confuse thirst with hunger.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abc101)
    Even if you don't drink anything, there's still a certain volume of water that you must excrete every day - so if you don't drink plenty, you'll dehydrate yourself, leading to headaches, tiredness, poor skin etc. You need plenty of water to help eliminate toxins and keep your kidneys working well, to keep yourself 'regular' - and it can help stop you over-eating as often people confuse thirst with hunger.
    Dehydrating oneself is going too far for my question and would not happen if one drank when thirsty.

How does drinking water flush out toxins?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gangsta316)
    Why is drinking a surfeit of water purported to be so great? I am doing something similar to the Volvic 14 day challenge; I'm doing it for 14 days but I'm using any water (not just Volvic) and I'm drinking 3l instead of 1.5l. So far I have found that drinking water doesn't have many benefits. There's no difference between this and simply drinking to satiate thirst, except I go to the bathroom every 5-15 minutes rather than every 30-60 minutes. So can anyone tell me what is supposed to be so great about drinking a lot of water?
    Every 5 minutes?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gangsta316)
    Dehydrating oneself is going too far for my question and would not happen if one drank when thirsty.

How does drinking water flush out toxins?
    Well no, because by the time you feel thirsty you're already dehydrated. You should drink even when you're not thirsty.

Water improves renal function so that you excrete toxins more efficiently, and drinking lots can help reduce the risk of kidney stones.

ReputationRep:
    Many studies have shown that as long as your body has enough water to function effectively (ie your not dehydrated) there are NO benefits to drinking water excessively.

What are these "toxins" you speak of? I bet you cant name them :rolleyes:

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.